Goodbye Jesus

I Want To Sue God

PandaPirate

And if I can't sue God, I want to sue somebody dammit. I'm tired of being bombarded with people who are trying to sell me eternal salvation. I have normal ups and downs just like anyone else, but I've got a few roadblocks I'm getting tired of dealing with. The depression and anxiety, the bipolar disorder (which Christians tell me is "all in my head.") Then there's my sister's suicide. I've been struggling with that for 15 months. If I can't fix this life, why do I want to live forever?

On a lighter note, I just got a job as a PR/Marketing Director that I start in January. Part of my job deals with suicide awareness and mental health issues. I can truly tell people I work with that "I've been there."

I'm NOT going to tell them that God will make it all better. Because I believed that lie one too many times. I, me, myself. I was the one who had to get up out of bed when I wanted to die and make something better of my life and it's very difficult when you have a crazy family to boot.

I just do the best I can everyday. As you can see, I might need some encouragement from you folks!

Panda

I have no words or advice to share, I try to find something humorous during the course of the day but in the game you are now in, that may be hard with the in your face daily reminders of your own loss.

I am sure we will all support you in whatever way we can.

generally life throws us curve balls and no matter how many pearls of advice or attaboys we get, in the end we have to work it out ourselves. Talking about it does help.

I wish you all the best and hope you somehow find peace and resolution.

As for suing god, I think he has his hands full at the Vatican right now :HaHa: take a number.

• Like 1

I'm currently on meds for depression/anxiety. My father in law thinks psychiatrists are (and I quote) "drug dealers". He too, believes it's all in a person's way of thinking, and can be overcome simply by thinking happy thoughts. The problem with most ignorant people is, they've never been there, so how the fuck should they know? My advice (and don't really take it seriously) is to pick out something serious in THEIR life, and minimize it! Or when they have tough times, tell them it's BECAUSE they have Jesus in their lives!

And if I can't sue God, I want to sue somebody dammit. I'm tired of being bombarded with people who are trying to sell me eternal salvation. I have normal ups and downs just like anyone else, but I've got a few roadblocks I'm getting tired of dealing with. The depression and anxiety, the bipolar disorder (which Christians tell me is "all in my head.") Then there's my sister's suicide. I've been struggling with that for 15 months. If I can't fix this life, why do I want to live forever?

On a lighter note, I just got a job as a PR/Marketing Director that I start in January. Part of my job deals with suicide awareness and mental health issues. I can truly tell people I work with that "I've been there."

I'm NOT going to tell them that God will make it all better. Because I believed that lie one too many times. I, me, myself. I was the one who had to get up out of bed when I wanted to die and make something better of my life and it's very difficult when you have a crazy family to boot.

I just do the best I can everyday. As you can see, I might need some encouragement from you folks!

Hi Panda...Thanks for sharing. Life can be very hard on us at times. When they used to say god wouldn't give you more than you can handle I always sad,'Bullshit'! I am so, so, so, sorry about your sister. My only sister died 14 years ago and I never thought I would get over it. I can't even imagine what you must go through to deal with this. I always felt as if my only sister really wanted to 'check out' of life. She wasn't all that impressed with life and she went against everything the doctors told her not to do and then because she didn't take care of herself - died of a massive stroke right after she turned 40. I thought I would die........ but here I am ...making it..........:shrug:

A lot of depression and anxiety that I have been through is 'situational'. But I've had a lot of 'situations' in my life, so a good portion of it has been spent in depression, of course... going around with a smile pasted on my face!:shrug: That's the only way I knew how to deal with things. If I had ever given up (which I wanted to a million times) I would have landed in the hospital 100 times. I just kept going.... one foot in front of the other.

And I also wondered MANY, MANY times where god was in all of this?? I remember standing out on my deck one night with my fist up in the air and I said to this god who I adored for 30 years - ''I would rather spend eternity in hell, than one day in heaven with you'!! And I meant it - That's how angry I was!

The job sounds great! I've always believed that a teacher should be one who has experience in a particular area.You will be perfect to help those who need to hear about depression, suicide awareness and mental heath. Maybe, this will be part of your healing.

For you - I wish the very best.....sincerely.........

You wouldn't be the first to do so :HaHa:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawsuits_against_God

In the U.S. state of Nebraska, State Senator Ernie Chambers filed a suit in 2008 against God, seeking a permanent injunction against God's harmful activities, as an effort to publicize the issue of public access to the court system. The suit was dismissed because God could not be properly notified, not having an address. The Judge stated "Given that this court finds that there can never be service effectuated on the named defendant this action will be dismissed with prejudice". The senator, believing God to be singular and all-knowing, responded "The court itself acknowledges the existence of God. A consequence of that acknowledgement is a recognition of God's omniscience ... Since God knows everything, God has notice of this lawsuit."

Of course, the question then becomes if God has notice of the lawsuit since he is omniscient then why does the court rule that he cannot properly be notified since there is no address? :twitch: Does this imply that homeless people can effectively use the same defense? :grin:

Back on topic though... lets focus on the good parts. You've just got a new job, another chapter in your life is opening up. You've come to the realization that God isn't a panacea or a cure all and are much more grounded as a result of it. Focus on the things that make you happy and pursue them even if there is no immediate end goal in mind.

I've found that the more I learn and understand about the world we live in the more insignificant I am as an individual. And that brings me peace for some strange reason, perhaps the humility of seeing the world from a super-wide-angle lens is a good way of placing my own individuality with that of humanity in context.

Thanks for sharing. I'm glad you're in a position to help other people with the same (or similar) troubles to yours. Not giving them the pithy "god loves you and wants the best for you" BS will help them a LOT, I'm sure. I'm glad they've got you!

Baron D'Holbach, when asked what he would say to god on judgment day replied: "How Dare You!!!!"

• Super Moderator
I just do the best I can everyday.

Your worst effort is better than God's best. You are in a unique position to help others so take pride and pleasure in that. Holding onto the god delusion seems the easy way out, but obviously it doesn't work, so we do what we can and hope for the best. I wish you well.

• Like 1

I'd also love to sue that bastard. He conned me out of quit a bit of money.

Do you think that the lie of "God will make it better" is necessary for people's mental health? I keep wondering this question myself, as an atheist.

I'm actualy wondering because my dad is going through a really hard time right now, and he keeps saying, over and over again, that he would never be able to make it through without God. He said he would have hit bottom, and probably left the family. I know he was thinking about divorcing my mom after her attempted suicide, but the only thing that kept him from doing it was his Christianity.

I don't know, I just always wonder whether there is some psychological need in human beings to believe that things will always get better thanks to God. My opinion is that it is not necessary, and that he only believes it is because it is what he was brainwashed to believe. If he had never even heard of God he would be able to deal with it just fine. He would've divorced my mom, but that's not really related to this whole conversation anyway :/

What is it that you tell your patients instead of that? Do you find that they cope just as well, if not better, than christians? I respect you for the work you do.

Thank you for everyone's support.

I also would like to ask God for a recall on my neck and back when I sue him. Oh, and all my money I sent to Joyce Meyer and Creflo Dollar. They fly in jet planes and I can barely afford toilet paper at some times.