Goodbye Jesus

Obey the laws of the land

MQTA

"and we are told (although the passages are not some I have memorized) that we are to obey the laws of the land because the Lord has chosen the govenors of the land that make the laws."

I've been meaning to start a topic with a question but wasn't sure the chap/verses that covered it. Just read the above quote and that's the gist of the verses.

So my question is this: Everyone seems to use this bumper sticker, so WHY are Christians CONSTANTLY petitioning our Government to set THEIR laws? They don't want gays to be able to marry. They don't want people to have abortions. They don't want this, they don't want that. BUT, the LAWS state that someone CAN get an abortion and it's nobody else's business. The LAW should state gays can marry, it only doesn't because of those against it.

If they're supposed to honor and obey the LAWS of the land, then they do they keep blocking the laws, and trying to get them to be against the law?

Obviously if Abortion is Legal, then it's legal because the Lord chose the governours of the land that make the laws.

WHAT IS THEIR PROBLEM?

Does anyone have the verses that say this?

Oh, hell ya.

Romans 13:1 Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

Titus 3:1 Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorites, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,

1 Peter 2:13 Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to the governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good.

So if a Christian is living in a Muslim country and the Muslim authorities

say that all Christians must be totured and put to death, Christians must

submit willingly? What a bunch of dumb rules.

Oh, hell ya.

Romans 13:1  Let every person be subject to the governing authorities.  For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.  Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.

Titus 3:1  Remind them to be submissive to rulers and authorites, to be obedient, to be ready for every good work,

1 Peter 2:13  Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution, whether it be to the emperor as supreme, or to the governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good.

100385[/snapback]

Ah, Romans, thanks. BINGO!

If this is what they believe, then WHY do they march, rally, petition, scream, to change the LAWs of the USA? If a law is passed to allow gays to marry, that's it, it's law, leave it alone and obey. If it's a law you can have an abortion, how do you EVER justify violence against clinics?

Great, thanks. Now I can go use some [bible] tags and see some dancing.

I have a feeling few are going to understand the implications