Goodbye Jesus

What is evil?

Bluesman

Didn't the Jim Jones bunch kill all their babies? Along with pretty much everybody else? I reckon THEY thought it was the moral thing to do.

Probably, but again, it wasn't ALL the babies in the entire world, or even just the U.S.

Hey folks, Now that we don't believe in a devil or demons anymore, what are some of your views on the subject of Evil. Is it revelent?  Does it even exist at all or is it just revelent to different people in different ways.  For example, A Wiccan chick that I was seeing for a while defined "evil" as unnecessary harm to any living creature. huh...makes sense. Anyway, What are some of your views on the subject?

100024[/snapback]

Big question, Blues... but, luckily, I have a small answer with a medium-sized explanation.

Answer - I do not believe in evil. I do not find it relevant to my life at all.

Explanation - Some things I do are considered evil by some people. Some things I do are considered godly by some people. I do not consider the things I do to be anything other than "the things I do."

I don't delude myself into believing that I have even the most basic understanding of right and wrong as absolutes, because I do not believe in absolute truth, much less any absolute morality.

I can recognize the need for some empathy between humans, but it's only necessary for the survival of the species, not for any individual or group of individuals. In the grand scheme of things, there's really not that much difference between killing an entire generation of newborn humans or feeding them. There's really no lasting impact from either choice except to those killed or fed.

When you look at life as I do (that is, as a random event), there can be no good or evil. There can only be me, bringing myself comfort for as long as possible in the best way I know how.

Going to jail is not comfortable. Being broke is not comfortable. Thus, I follow most laws and go to work every day. The actions I take during my stay on this planet as chemicals given rise to consciousness don't mean anything from a moral standpoint.

All of my actions are purely selfish for the express purpose of prolonging my comfortable experiences and minimizing my uncomfortable ones.

There can only be me, bringing myself comfort for as long as possible in the best way I know how.

All of my actions are purely selfish for the express purpose of prolonging my comfortable experiences and minimizing my uncomfortable ones.

101231[/snapback]

So, what about your family? Parents, wife, kids? Any close friends that you would be "uncomfortable" in order to help. There are two things that keep me giong at this point in my life. One is my wife back home, and the other is my fellow soldiers that I serve with over here. I've already put my ass on the line for them, and I'm sure that I will again.

So, what about your family?  Parents, wife, kids?  Any close friends that you would be "uncomfortable" in order to help.  There are two things that keep me giong at this point in my life. One is my wife back home, and the other is my fellow soldiers that I serve with over here. I've already put my ass on the line for them, and I'm sure that I will again.

101579[/snapback]

Keeping my family (read that: my girlfriend) happy makes me more comfortable in the long run than, let's say, cheating on her would make me.

If I cheated on my girlfriend, I wouldn't feel guilty for it because what I did has no moral ramifications for me; however, the potential discomfort of losing my girlfriend (and, by extension, the comfortable life I've made with her) outweighs the momentary pleasure of getting strange poon.

My parents can go hang. I've never liked them and if I had met them in any other circumstances than being born and having to live with them for 18 years, I would not have ever voluntarily chosen to associate with them.

Some of my extended family I choose to associate with, some I do not. When hurricane Katrina made most of my extended family homeless, I picked and chose which ones I would allow to stay in my house. When one of them became more of a burden than I was willing to deal with, I explained to him that he would either need to get a job or go back home. I didn't do it in a mean way, but I made it very clear that there are some things I am not willing to deal with.

As far as interpersonal relationships go, I choose my friends very carefully. If someone creates more discomfort and discord in my life than the pleasure that their company provides me, then I no longer associate with them. I do not believe I have an absolute moral obligation to anyone, but this does not mean that I would choose to live alone, because the company of others brings me pleasure and comfort.

Let's take Foxy Methoxy as an example - I've known Foxy since the early 90's. By and large his company brings me more pleasure than not. If his personality ever underwent a substantial change and he became a complete asshole with nothing to offer me but discord and strife, I would no longer choose to voluntarily associate with him and if I did, I'd be an idiot.

An example from real life using Foxy to expand on this point - Foxy was dating a girl several years ago that I found exceptionally distasteful. She was obnoxious and annoying in the extreme. Her company was such a sore point in my life that I distanced myself from Foxy as much as I could so that the balance between how much I disliked his girlfriend and how much I liked him was maintained. Rather than hanging out with him all the time, I saw him at work, and occasionally at parties, but if she was there, I would remain distant to avoid having to deal with her.

I think most people do the same thing to one extent or another, but I've simply chosen to see it from a point of view that has nothing to do with good or evil. I've decided to be honest with myself and examine my actions and feelings in the most objective way I can.

By and large, I'm a friendly, social person. The fact that I choose not to delude myself into thinking that I have morals doesn't impact my ability to socialize effectively and empathize with other people. I'm a great listener and a lot of people consider me a true friend. I'm not a sociopath or anything, I do have feelings and emotions, but I don't assign them any moral significance because I don't see the need for it.

:shrug: