Goodbye Jesus

I Know. Right? Wtf?

Fweethawt

Well, I come from a non english speaking country and in school we always learned that it goes: I was, you were, he she it was; I do, you do, he she it does etc. I am shocked to here in many pop songs nowadays they keep saying: You WAS! Or he DO! WTF? My ears are bleeding when I hear that. Is that correct? I mean, is that some new grammer? Or american grammer? Or is it just wrong?

Examples: Rihanna - "The only problem is that you WAS using me....", Kelly Rowland - " Baby, there's no other who DO it like I do it"

WTF??

Well, I come from a non english speaking country and in school we always learned that it goes: I was, you were, he she it was; I do, you do, he she it does etc. I am shocked to here in many pop songs nowadays they keep saying: You WAS! Or he DO! WTF? My ears are bleeding when I hear that. Is that correct? I mean, is that some new grammer? Or american grammer? Or is it just wrong?

Examples: Rihanna - "The only problem is that you WAS using me....", Kelly Rowland - " Baby, there's no other who DO it like I do it"

WTF??

If you has to aks, it be Eubonics BB! Nothing like giving illiteracy undeserved credibility. Only in the USA !

If you has to aks, it be Eubonics BB! Nothing like giving illiteracy undeserved credibility. Only in the USA !

LOL! I mean, I don't usually mind slang, but this just sounds so wrong!

P.S. Thanks! Some people in my country actually told me it was new american grammer.

Y'all B trippin. smh

P.S. Thanks! Some people in my country actually told me it was new american grammer.

If loving Eubonics is so wrong, I donwanna' be right! (soul song from the past...insert "you" where Eubonics be)

You're welcome! Believe it or not, there was an attempt to make Eubonics legitimate and taught as a subject in school! I don't know if they succeeded. I'd be embarrassed to be called an American if they did. That is, more-so than I already am!

If loving Eubonics is so wrong, I donwanna' be right! (soul song from the past...insert "you" where Eubonics be)

You're welcome! Believe it or not, there was an attempt to make Eubonics legitimate and taught as a subject in school! I don't know if they succeeded. I'd be embarrassed to be called an American if they did. That is, more-so than I already am!

Oh, God, that's terrible. I mean, it would maybe be ok to learn different accents or dialects in american english (southern accent is interesting), or some slang words, but this is absolutely grammatically false. How can they publish songs like that? Doesn't anyone proofread it before publishing?

Oh, God, that's terrible. I mean, it would maybe be ok to learn different accents or dialects in american english (southern accent is interesting), or some slang words, but this is absolutely grammatically false. How can they publish songs like that? Doesn't anyone proofread it before publishing?

Many pop songs have been sung with slang. This soul song was popular in 1972. I looked up the lyrics, and they start with:

LUTHER INGRAM"If Loving You Is Wrong"

(Banks, Hampton and Jackson)

If loving you is wrong I don't wanna be right

If being right means being without you

I'd rather live a wrong doing life

Your mama and daddy say it's a shame

It's a downright disgrace

Long as I got you by my side

I don't care what your people say

Grammar is purposely written incorrectly, because many Americans think it's cool to be grammatically incorrect, or they just aren't educated. So, yes it is grammatically wrong, but they do it on purpose, or they just don't know proper English. Pop culture uses uneducated street language to make money.

Yes. But that's evan ok comparing to

David Guetta - Where Them Girls At?

[Chorus]

So many girls in here, where do I begin?

I seen this one, I'm bout to go in

Then she said, I'm here with my friends

She got me thinking and that's when I said

Where dem girls at, girls at?

So go get them, we can all be friends

smile.png

You WAS! Or he DO! WTF? My ears are bleeding when I hear that. Is that correct? I mean, is that some new grammer? Or american grammer? Or is it just wrong?

Trust me, it makes a lot of our ears bleed too.

But it is just dialect I think. Not nearly as extreme as that which exists in countries like Italy, where each region has its own foreign language.

Yo, yo! I done feeled da beat on dat one!

• 1 month later...

WTF??

Well it always jars on me if and whenever I hear Pink Floyd's The Wall when in the chorus the children sing. "Hey teacher leave THEM kids alone"

And a pet peeve of mine is that I hear people saying or writing

OF instead of HAVE

eg. I should OF told him. Instead of I should HAVE told him...or should've told him. Could OF said something instead of could HAVE said something.

Why is this thread (and others like it) pinned? It doesn't seem to have much to do with anything relevant anymore. Many pinned threads have run their course and need to make way for the present. Why are we still stuck in 2010?

Why is this thread (and others like it) pinned? It doesn't seem to have much to do with anything relevant anymore. Many pinned threads have run their course and need to make way for the present. Why are we still stuck in 2010?

Edit: maybe this one is a bad example because it seems to have stayed largely on its original topic, but of all the good discussions on faith being had in these forums, what gives one thread pinning rights while others move on into the past at a natural rhythm?

And a pet peeve of mine is that I hear people saying or writing

OF instead of HAVE

eg. I should OF told him. Instead of I should HAVE told him...or should've told him. Could OF said something instead of could HAVE said something.

Oh, yes!

I'm impressed that this topic started a three page thread.

I'm impressed that this topic started a three page thread.

I know, right? WTF?

Thanks for joining in.

I am really bad about using that expression. In conversation...on forums...via text Wendytwitch.gif

Guest sugRsuccubus

I dislike those three words, as well. I also hate when somone says something witty or truthful and someone else responds in agreement, "Huuuuhhhh!" Or, if somone says something stupid but funny, "Duuummmbbb!"

• 2 months later...

First time I came cross that phrase was in an IM conversation. A friend had abbreviated it to IKR and I was like '.. Uh, what?'