Goodbye Jesus

Corpse Daily

Susie

After reading this forum and some thinking, it seems i also have a problem with fear, but of some other sort. Those images of corpses on a cross, tortured and killed "saints" etc. make me very uncomfortable. I feel like i'm forced to watch all those horrors and they appear in most unexpected places - on t-shirts, posters, TV, museums of course, souvenirs and numerous trinklets (my best friend always wears 3 of them on her neck, one of dead Jesus and the other two are dead ladies).

And i'm a very sensitive person, those images of death and suffering really affect my mood. Not sure about Jesus, and not very sympathetic to him, but thoughts of victims of inquisition and other tortured and cruelly killed people, really make me sad.

Worst of all - i plan to have children soon, and i just don't know how to protect them from such cruel images, or how to explain what those :ezhappydead: are and why some people consider those horrors nice or how to react and not to hurt their feelings.

:help:

Goodbye Jesus
  • Super Moderator

People get offended and/or upset at seeing ducks hanging in the butcher shop window, tattoos, amputees, or topless women at the beach. Life is variety, and since you can't change the world, guess who's left?

I find all religions to range from merely silly (Spiritualism seances for example) to revoltingly gross ("passion" reenactments and animal sacrifice). I understand that you have a special hatred for the Jesus religion, but it's a large part of the world we live in. Perhaps therapy could help desensitize you.

Why do you care?! :D

There are worse things in the world than images of depicted suffering.

Your child will encounter much more tangible sadism and pure unjustness in the sandbox when it is 4 of age. How are you gonna protect it from that?

I'm no parent, but I'd say just watch and enjoy. It's your child's problem to come to terms with the harshness of reality. You should look for amusement in the naivete of its grievances. Protect it from reality and you're actually doing harm.

Besides, it's you who has a problem with reminders of a religion you used to concern yourself with. What meaning, let alone horror, do you think a trinket holds for a fresh mind?

The people wearing the image of the cross and saints care nothing about how the imagery affects us as nonbelievers. They are insensitive because god told them to wear it. You and your children have the right to confront any image displayed in public, by someone wearing the cross or saint medals, etc.. You have the right to challenge such a public display if it offends you. I just ignore them because when I go home, those people do not live with me. They go home to their own little worlds. My kid is raised to ignore them but not put up their insults or other BS because we do not believe in that BS. You do not have to respect someone's religious beliefs. You have the right to your opinion in public if they want to display their opinion. According to the law people have the right to worship as they chose so long as those rights do not interfere on our rights, that right does not extend to laws requiring us to respect those religious beliefs. We have freedom of speech and expression. That's why I tell holy rollers to quit banging on my door and stay the hell off my property.

People get offended and/or upset at seeing ducks hanging in the butcher shop window, tattoos, amputees, or topless women at the beach. Life is variety, and since you can't change the world, guess who's left?

I find all religions to range from merely silly (Spiritualism seances for example) to revoltingly gross ("passion" reenactments and animal sacrifice). I understand that you have a special hatred for the Jesus religion, but it's a large part of the world we live in. Perhaps therapy could help desensitize you.

I know I am very offended by topless tattooed amputees hanging in shop windows at the beach. Pisses me off every time.