Goodbye Jesus

Spiritual Humanism

excalvinist

I am really anticipating some feedback here, it would be of great help to me.

Is anyone familiar with the term spiritual humanism? If so, what do you think of this movement? There is currently a Church of Spiritual Humanism that ordains people so they can preform weddings for non religious people. I have personally talked with an individual who his ordained through this church and has conducted many weddings and ceremonies for freethinking rational people that do not desire a religious clergymen to officiate their wedding.

Thank You very much

Carson

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

Whatever?

meanwhile, back at your double personalty internet home.........

I had heard of Christian humanism, which is basically a humanistic system which believes that Jesus taught some good things, but they are non-specific about their views of God. So an atheist could be a Christian humanist, I suppose? I've read that weddings, funerals, etc. can be performed by members of some free-thinking groups - maybe that place is where they got their credentials. I looked at the spiritual humanist website, and it seems contradictory to me, as though their spiritualism is almost a religion.

Is anyone familiar with the term spiritual humanism? If so, what do you think of this movement? There is currently a Church of Spiritual Humanism that ordains people so they can preform weddings for non religious people.

I just looked up their site. One quote from it says, "We can solve the problems of society using a religion based on reason." Though in a sense I appreciate that they recognize that a connection with the universe is important to people, I think they are pretty narrowly, and inaccurately defining how that happens. I used to call myself a 'spiritual atheist', until I dropped the unnecessary atheist part of it. I understand the desire to not throw out the baby with the bathwater.

I see what they are trying to say which is that in order to be spiritual you cannot reject your rational mind, that it must acknowledge a scientific reality. I agree with this. However, I disagree that religious expression is or should be "based on reason", or that it is "fused... onto the foundation of scientific humanist inquiry". In harmony with, yes. Fused into and based on? Not at all.

I would enjoy seeing how they propose to make a religion based on reason and science that doesn't become equally as doctrinal and dogmatic as one based on Church Authority? But that said, I do appreciate the sentiment and their effort to try to integrate these realities together. I am just unconvinced they have the substance to offer to make that anything meaningful.