Goodbye Jesus

No Stomach

DeGaul

Bah.....I think this is the first time I've posted a genuine rant on here. I'm absolutely astounded at times by the unwillingness of people to stomach a fight. Are we all so lilly livered? It seems we have taken acceptance to a ridiculous level. We won't criticize, we won't argue (without taking up a "this is only my opinion" position). We just get along to get on, and that just sickens me.

Where is our sense of having a warrior spirit? Where is our sense of rigidity? Where is our sense of moral absoluteness and personal honor? Where is our desire to defend our own pride?

I can't help but feel that we are a soft and decadent society, and that we really don't deserve to continue.

• Like 2

I don't mind a good fight :) But no, I don't think we deserve to continue either. Neither do I think pride is a good thing either, causes pointless arugments which have no purpose other than to stroke the ego. Pointless waste of time. We should be teaching our kids how to be humble. Too much pride in the world already.

• Like 1

Where is our sense of having a warrior spirit? Where is our sense of rigidity? Where is our sense of moral absoluteness and personal honor? Where is our desire to defend our own pride?

Where is our sense of pretentious douchebaggery??

• Like 2

I think it's dangerous to generalize an entire society based on anecdotal evidence. I know a number of warriors - some merely have the warrior spirit and others are actual warriors. And while our various societies have a lot of issues, I'm not ready to give up on the human race. There's always been the weak and the strong, the good and the bad. As for moral absolutism, I think it's rare to find absolutes.

Where is our sense of pretentious douchebaggery??

I love you rank stranger :P

There is no absolute, people will do and have done things for their own benefit or their family plus close friends, lovers, etc. Some of these could be construed as "wrong" but without religion, there is no absolute wrong. I could murder a person and it may be wrong to you, but if they committed a sinister act against me or someone close to me it would be justifiable through my lens. In fact this gives a person greater freedom to construct their own set of rights and wrongs, instead of having some ancient book telling you that you should never fuck before marriage, that you should never steal, or kill, for any reason, even if you have to for the circumstance.

I've got confidence humanity will be able to change the rules of the game given enough time of scientific growth. I wouldn't mind for instance, having a cybernetic computer implant for my brain that lets me have greater control over emotions. I already feel as though I have sort of a technological symbiosis with computers, I gain so much from using them and I believe everyone should have one and an internet connection. Access to such a vast array of knowledge, and such immense connectivity to everyone else in the world is and will continue to change the world.

There will never be some "spiritual" awakening where everyone in the entire world will stop what they are doing and start being good & fair to everyone else, this is testified by all of known and current history. This world we live on will only be changed through progress, greater attainments of knowledge and new powerful ways to exploit nature. Hopefully safe exploits that allow us all to co-exist.

DeGaul is young, and full of zip,

To change the world, he's fully equipped, :woohoo:

With heart sincere and mind so strong,

To change the world to a different song.:sing:

...................................................................................................

I once was a 'warrior,' living the dream,

so young and peppy to change the scene,

Now old and tired, I got no fight, :Old:

I just sit back and accept the flight!

Written with brilliance, by Margee Monkey :grin::funny:

• Like 1

I'm going to disagree with you on several points here DeGaul, but it's only my opinion. :HaHa:

I'm no sociologist but I think we here and now live in a very fragmented society. Whether it is also decadent is a different matter. We have focused for many years now on bitter disagreements between us and it has taken its toll: Left vs. Right, Young vs. Old, Have's vs. Have Not's, Men vs. Women, Religious vs. Secular, etc. We have not been bored for lack of internal contention. I think in this moment in history the U.S. is need of healing. I believe we need to be rewoven into a cohesive whole. If and how this will happen is anybody's guess.

• Super Moderator

Can't we all just get along?

- Rodney King

Bah.....I think this is the first time I've posted a genuine rant on here. I'm absolutely astounded at times by the unwillingness of people to stomach a fight. Are we all so lilly livered? It seems we have taken acceptance to a ridiculous level. We won't criticize, we won't argue (without taking up a "this is only my opinion" position). We just get along to get on, and that just sickens me.

I can't help but feel that we are a soft and decadent society, and that we really don't deserve to continue.

I'm fairly misanthropic but I don't see humanity's focus on "getting along" to be one of its downsides. As for honor and pride, to what extent is it worth fighting for, if at all? I've seen so many bad things happen because out of the 2 or more people involved, not a single one was ready to swallow their pride and admit a mistake on their part. From relationships lost, to fights, to worse, much worse.

Moral absoluteness? No such thing. As a result, I find it hard to be "rigid" on anything.

If you want to be in a place that focuses on absolutes, with a warrior's spirit and a focus on personal honor and pride than a jail is the place for you and that is a place that I definitely don't want to be.

I'm for the most part all fought out.

I've seen some pretty good fights on UFC.

Where is our sense of having a warrior spirit?

A term that is all but useless save for a few.

Where is our sense of rigidity?

Fluidity is more powerful.

Where is our sense of moral absoluteness...

Absolutes do not exist.

and personal honor?

Honor that is not tempered with wisdom is stupidity.

Where is our desire to defend our own pride?

Which is greater, a humble wisdom or boorish pride?

• Like 3

I love you, DeGaul. I am so very fortunate to be your wife. I know I can count on you in the tough times. I trust you with my life. A warrior is what I need and you fill that position quite honorably.

You must be living on a different planet than I am. It depends on what you mean, I guess. People want to argue with me all the time, criticize me, etc. I'm sick and tired of it, so yes, I'd rather just shut them out and go about by business. Live and let live, as long as no one steps on my toes, otherwise there will be hell of pay! I'm me and I'm going to be me and have the opinions I have regardless of their badgering. I feel no need to defend who I am. These people can F off, as far I'm concerned. I'm not interested in arguing with dictators. It doesn't get anyone anywhere. Best to ignore them. They really despise being ignored. It wounds them to the core. Mission accomplished. ;)

• Like 4

You must be living on a different planet than I am. It depends on what you mean, I guess. People want to argue with me all the time, criticize me, etc. I'm sick and tired of it, so yes, I'd rather just shut them out and go about by business. Live and let live, as long as no one steps on my toes, otherwise there will be hell of pay! I'm me and I'm going to be me and have the opinions I have regardless of their badgering. I feel no need to defend who I am. These people can F off, as far I'm concerned. I'm not interested in arguing with dictators. It doesn't get anyone anywhere. Best to ignore them. They really despise being ignored. It wounds them to the core. Mission accomplished. ;)

No kidding!

Phanta

No kidding!

Phanta

Degaul - looks like you are going to have to do all the 'fighting' for us!!:woohoo:

I am part of the a soft and decadent society, and I really don't deserve to continue. ...I'm going to hang myself now...........................:shrug:

DeGaul,

Choose the fights you want to work on carefully. Few other than yourself give a shit what bothers you at this particular time. Master Tzu teaches us "how" and "why". Learn, be liquid when needed, stand strong when required.

No one wins by being so solid that they are immobilized by their own desires. No plan survives initial contact with your enemies, prepare to give ground and let ig GO when you have no chance of hanging onto what you thought was a good exchange.

For those who willing let others fight for them, they can relinquish the "goodies", those spoils of that fight. I refuse to allow slackers to take anything of mine after the shedding of time, energy and possibly blood has captured what the objective was.

No fucking body in this world gives a fuck what you want as long as their need for goodies and beer are fulfilled.

Share with those you might, give to those whom you find in gracious need, keep for yourself those things you win, do with them as you damn well please.

PC-esque whiners can go earn their own by whatever means they find "correct" and "nice".

Protect yours best you can, be prepared to surrender anything but those closely held loved ones, anything else is totally replaceable.

kevin, Freeman by Trade and Practice, Fuckin'L

a most excellent post

One correction though, it's Master Sun. Tzu is an honourific. :)

DeGaul,

Choose the fights you want to work on carefully. Few other than yourself give a shit what bothers you at this particular time. Master Tzu teaches us "how" and "why". Learn, be liquid when needed, stand strong when required.

No one wins by being so solid that they are immobilized by their own desires. No plan survives initial contact with your enemies, prepare to give ground and let ig GO when you have no chance of hanging onto what you thought was a good exchange.

For those who willing let others fight for them, they can relinquish the "goodies", those spoils of that fight. I refuse to allow slackers to take anything of mine after the shedding of time, energy and possibly blood has captured what the objective was.

No fucking body in this world gives a fuck what you want as long as their need for goodies and beer are fulfilled.

Share with those you might, give to those whom you find in gracious need, keep for yourself those things you win, do with them as you damn well please.

PC-esque whiners can go earn their own by whatever means they find "correct" and "nice".

Protect yours best you can, be prepared to surrender anything but those closely held loved ones, anything else is totally replaceable.

Masterpeice nivek!

I have seen little evidence in our society of an unwillingness to fight about things we feel strongly about. And those are the only things we should be willing to fight about, because fighting for fighting's sake is pretty fucking stupid, as is the whole warrior mentality when applied generally. The warrior mentality is useful in specific instances.

We...aren't...Sparta. Go back to the military if you want this lifestyle.

(I can't believe I just said that...everyone knows I'm one of the least argumentative people on this site if I do say so myself ;) )

mwc

DeGaul, honestly, the days you wish for has never existed. It never does to fight all the time. Better to pick the good fight than to get stuck in petty and sometimes dangerous fights. Frankly, I HATE fighting. I only fight when it's worth something and there's no other options left. Honour is a good value and should be encouraged, but your inflexibleness is not suited to this age, though it doesn't mean that you should give up the good fight and your innermost values. It just means that you can be liquid and do the smart thing in resting and then fight when needed. Fighting all the times drains the spirit, the spirit is drained then you will not be able to defend yourself and others when you truly need to. Besides, isn't it better to say, "We're just human, let's walk together." than to brandish a sword all the time? Live and laugh, I say. :D

DeGaul,

Yes!