Goodbye Jesus

How Does This Make You Feel?

dB-Paradox

Below is a video made by my cousin (on screen) and her daughter. They're born-again Christian fundies trying to make a point by using satire(?) But what I really want to know is, how does it make you feel?

Watch the video, and then read my comments below (by the way, I think only the first part of the video is theirs, the last half comes from another video)....

For me, it makes me feel somewhat disgusted to be so grossly misunderstood. And for them to throw in a hint of Pascal's Wager was even more frustrating, because it shows they are even more guilty than atheists of the things they alluded to in the video, ie. closed-mindedness and self-delusion. But another question which I thought of after watching the video was, are atheists any more justified in making satire videos? I make fun of Christians a fair bit in my videos on the same level, but feel that I have logic and understanding behind what I say. However, am I wrong in making these videos knowing it elicits the same response in Christians as the above video elicits in me?

The video (the first part which shows the "interview") makes me realize the great disconnect between those who have formerly been committed Christians but who finally learned it is all a lie and those who are still caught up in the religion. It helps to explain why so many of us ex-Christians have such a difficult time from our fundy relatives and friends because that is probably the way they see us. They see us through the fog and haze of their faith while for us the fog and haze have finally been lifted.

There is good satire and bad satire. This isn't good satire.

mwc

There is good satire and bad satire. This isn't good satire.

mwc

True dat!

And I agree with you also, OF that the fog of religion is what clouds their vision, as it once did mine.

My comments are on youtube under cfalde

I didn't realize that was you. We're friends on YouTube as well! I found the reading part annoying as well.

• Super Moderator

The satirical atheist chose to blame God. The real atheist doesn't believe there is a god to blame. That is the one, simple fucking fact so many Christians choose to ignore. They are driven to see us as at war with their god.

How does the video make me feel? I feel sorry for their deliberate ignorance of facts and definitions. Atheist, and particularly ex-Christian satire of Christianity pokes fun at the beliefs that are in fact held by believers.

There is no comparison be made.

• Like 3

I suppose what bothered me the most was the ignorance portrayed in the video, as you mentioned. The fact that everything revolves around their beliefs, and yet they fail to see the exact same thing coming from them toward other faiths!

What was the purpose of this video? It sure won't convert me back to Christianity. And most likely it will fail to convert anyone. If that was the purpose, then they failed utterly, if the purpose was to make fun and lie about atheists... doesn't the Bible condemn such behavior? Either they're stupid or rotten Christians.

I think the real motive behind this video was an indirect attack on me and a video I had uploaded to my old account called "Interview With A Christian". She used to be on my facebook and saw the video, and made a comment on it.

:Doh::woopsie: Oh my god....people...........get right on my nerves.......
  • Like 1

Yup! Me too! But keep in mind that we get on their nerves, too. In a genuine way, I mean. I guess if they want to say such shit, who's to stop them? It is their right, I suppose. As long as they can take it back up the ass from us!

Right, cause I have nothing better to do with the time I spend NOT in prayer or church saying mean things about other people. People saying mean things about people is one of the reasons I LEFT Christianity, thankyouverymuch.

Methinks there's a bit of projecting going on here--they spend their time "bashing" atheists and other non-Christian-believing types, therefore all others must spend their time bashing things THEY don't believe in. Please.

Yup! Me too! But keep in mind that we get on their nerves, too. In a genuine way, I mean. I guess if they want to say such shit, who's to stop them? It is their right, I suppose. As long as they can take it back up the ass from us!

dB, some days I am much stronger in my 'non-belief' than other days. It has taken me much longer to get 'de-brainwashed' than I thought. I can't even debate anymore, I get so tired of it all. If someone asked me right now why I became a non-believer - I would just say,''I do not see any evidence for the existence of god''.

Yesterday, when I was at the hospital, I heard a lady tell her friend that she KNOWS god exists because she can FEEL him 24 hours a day. If I had to answer to her -I would just say, ''I wonder if that starving human being can feel him like you do''?? ''Or the person who was gang raped or the child who experienced fatal abuse'', or, or, or, or,.....................................

Even to the creationists, I would just say that their god might have made the earth before the big bang - but he left us to go do other business. It's like 'he' built the ship and said,''sail it my friends''.

I get so tired of it all. I really do. :shrug:

• Like 1

That was so insulting that I almost couldn't watch it all the way through.

I know what you mean about coming across the same way, though I myself do not make demeaning or sarcastic comments to Christians. Otherwise I'd just be assisting the endless circle of Atheists being godless people who hate Christians, and Christians being god-filled people who hate Atheists. See what I mean? They call us heathens 'cause we reject their beliefs, and we hate them for shoving their beliefs down our throats.

I'm honestly one of those naive people that think we could agree to disagree. At least, until I'm proven otherwise.

How did that video make me feel? It pissed me off and frustrated the shit out of me.

I laughed at it. Just a bit, anyway. I'm not slighting anyone who reacts differently but I guess I've always had an odd tolerance for what's supposed to offend me.

In other words, if I'd seen one of your videos as an xtian, I'd have just laughed, but only in the sense of "look at this fool who doesn't know what he's talking about." God's going to deal with you in time anyway, so why does he need me to get offended on his behalf, right?

Now, same thing. They're the ones burying their heads in the sand. Why should it upset us?

I'm with florduh on this one. How can an atheist be angry with a god who he or she doesn't believe exists? To an atheist, god is nothing more than a character in a story (and I for one, think he's the bad guy). Yes, I believed this story for a long time. What makes me angry is that people continue to believe the fairy tales even after they have been shown the facts. People are so afraid of hell that they will do just about anything to avoid it. What makes me angry is that people continue to worship and praise this horrible character even after they read about all the horrible things he did in that story book called the true word of god.

This video is a piss-poor attempt to make atheists look like the fools.

I say it's a big FAIL.

• Like 2

straw man

I understand what they're trying to do, and where they are coming from. They believe... and well, they need to believe, that they possess the "truth." Since, in their minds, it is the Truth that they possess, the heathen, i.e., those who do not also possess the Truth that they do, can have no good, valid reason for rejecting the Truth that is right in front of them (i.e., the "truth" that everything hinges on for your cousins and their brethren). A straw man such as this is how they come to grips with all of this. It serves both to affirm their own belief that in the xian god they know the Truth, and as a means to (from their perspective) tug at the heart strings of the heathen with what they think, or need to believe, that an atheist actually knows "deep down in his heart."

Well my first response and feelings about a 'video' like that is "please PLEASE if you're going o do something, DO It WELL." The sound, lighting and composition is so poor that, had you not asked me to watch it, I'd have turned it off within seconds.

I do think that, whilst this video is ignorant and somewhat insulting, it is worth remembering that if you make videos yourself, they may also view them as ignorant and insulting. Personally, I do not feel the need to make fun of or challenge Christians unless they specifically invite me to comment on their beliefs and perspectives, and even then I try to avoid saying much more than what is necessary. It may be worth your while stepping back and asking yourself if your videos etc. are actually going to cause you more problems and invite unneeded input/comments from your xian family and 'friends'.

Rest assured that your video was significantly better quality than this one!!!

Thanks, dichotomy. I try to make my videos somewhat watchable! And I agree that my videos may cause me more grief if/when family and or xian friends watch them, but I suppose I find them a bit theraputic to make. Plus I've always enjoyed making an ass of myself!

dB, some days I am much stronger in my 'non-belief' than other days. It has taken me much longer to get 'de-brainwashed' than I thought. I can't even debate anymore, I get so tired of it all. If someone asked me right now why I became a non-believer - I would just say,''I do not see any evidence for the existence of god''.

I'm the same way. I had another cousin wanting to talk with me. My reaction is something like, "I'm not a fucking believer, so just leave it alone unless you want to actually learn more. But I'm not listening to anything you say otherwise."

The satirical atheist chose to blame God. The real atheist doesn't believe there is a god to blame. That is the one, simple fucking fact so many Christians choose to ignore. They are driven to see us as at war with their god.

How does the video make me feel? I feel sorry for their deliberate ignorance of facts and definitions. Atheist, and particularly ex-Christian satire of Christianity pokes fun at the beliefs that are in fact held by believers.

There is no comparison be made.

Bingo! It's also their own erroneous beliefs about atheists that cause them to see atheists that way.

Some xtians also intentionally mischaracterize atheists because it would not serve their purpose to portray them accurately. That's why they need to resort to a straw man. This video is pure straw man. Whether that is intentional or just plain ignorance I can't say, but they sure aren't doing themselves any favors in the credibility department.

Hopefully the make of the video will see it played back realise how obnoxious and ridiclous they appear and take stock