Goodbye Jesus

Being God-bothered At The Mall

Blue elephant

Went to the local shopping mall this afternoon to do a few chores.

A woman with her teenaged daughter said hello to me, like I should know her, but I was unable to recognise her and looked carefully in to her face. I called her by the name of who I thought it might be, but then she said "Oh, you don't know me - we're on a mission form God"

By now I was getting it! Sort of lost for words, I quickly said "No - not interested. I can convert you to atheism quicker than you can convert me to Christianity" and walked off.

I'm angry now - for lots of reasons! The affrontery! But more than that because I couldn't think quickly enough to say something that might have cast some real doubts in to the mind of her daughter, who was about 16.

This sort of thing hardly ever happens in Australia.

"... we're on a mission form God"

Scariest kind of people.

Mission from Mars is more like it.............

poor little girl - probably hasn't even kissed a boy yet! :(

Maybe saying "I deny the holy spirit" in a casual, offhanded sort of way would at least get them to leave you alone if not give the kid the subtle impression that the holy spook isn't such a big deal.

• Super Moderator

Damn, I thought Australia was a safe place.

I had a bunch of buddhists or hare krishnas literally jump out on me on the way to the station and I ran away! I had another buddhist bother me for money saying he was giving tracts for a donation, I was actually interested and chatted to him and he turned down my £2 "donation" saying he needed a minimum of 3! He seemed quite taken aback by me asking him what organisation he represented (i forget what he said). all the 3 major cities around my town have an area where on Saturdays there is a Muslim area, a Hare Krishna area, an Evangelical/Baptist area, and a Pentecostal Area. All giving away leaflets, publicly "healing", singing and trying to convert people. I keep meaning to go to one and chat to the Krishnas or Muslims just out of interest to see what they have to say for themselves, but I only go to the cities with friends who aren't interested to stop. I keep forgetting to go alone.

Yeah the holy rollers at the stores are almost as bad as the people wanting you to donate to one of thousands of charities and then make you feel guilty when you say no. I just don't trust them, I donate directly to the charities if I am going to donate. I participate in United Way events, and drop food of at the homeless shelter. The constant hounding can be so frustrating.

...then she said "Oh, you don't know me - we're on a mission form God"

You should have replied "Did you already pick a plane and a building?".

• Like 2

It is so nice we now have laws here in SA that require the express permission of mall owners, municipalities that these babble pushers have to first obtain.

We are pretty free from this madness.

You can have them arrested for trespassing if they enter your property.

Of course this simply pays into their perverted mindset of persecution.

My deterrent looks like this.

bullmastiff-17.jpg

"Go ahead, open the gate, I dare you" :HaHa:

My dog actually runs up to the gate in silent mode apart from his gallop and only starts barking the last three paces as he skids to a halt.

You totally missed the best opportunity. If anyone ever accosts you and words it that way again, you should say, "I love The Blues Brothers. We have country and western." ;)

It seems like they're multiplying over here. I remember how rare it use to be to have door knockers or see people handing tracts out in the street but now it's quite common to see people hand them out on the weekend, especially in the early mornings and late afternoon. I generally don't get hassled by them. This is probably because I have a keen look on my face, hoping for a chance to debate with them.