Goodbye Jesus

Where To Begin?

Dethblight

So an atheist friend of mine posted the famous quote about all of us being atheists, and some going one god further on his facebook page today. A christian responded with "Actually, none of us are athiests, it is just a matter of who or what we choose to make our God. For an athiest it is usually themselves (their own suppossed intellect)" I don't even know where to start on this one. I've already started in on him a little by telling him what a stupid statement that was, but when he asks why I want to make sure I have ALL of my basis covered. First I'm going to explain to him that neither my own self, nor my supposed intellect are supernatural, omniscient, omnipotent, or omnipresent. I will also explain that even if he is using a looser definition of the word "God" (which I know will be his response to me saying my intellect is not supernatural), in which I "make" something "God" by worshiping it, that he would have to define what he means by worship, and that neither myself nor any other atheist I have ever had contact with "worships" themselves or their own "supposed intellect". There are a lot of things that I can say, but this was sch an asinine and offensive comment that I REALLY just want to demolish him. So if you all could, please let me know what YOU would tell him, so that I can be sure I didn't forget anything. I will continue to post updates until either he gives up in defeat (not likely), get's cornered and "storms off" with some BS "atheists are closed minded" type comment (pretty likely), or the OP gets sick of the religious argument between a friend of his (me) and a friend of the family (I think this guy is a friend of his parents) on his FB page and puts an end to it (50/50... this isn't the first time people who don't actually know each other have argued on his FB page)

I am glad that you recognise that I am God. I'm also an infinitely more powerful God than your God.

I can buy you a coffee when you need one for example.

I can even reply to you on the Internet.

Although I am not omnipotent, I am not completely impotent either, unlike your God.

You should worship my power over your God for these very reasons.

I tell you that your Bible is wrong. If your God has an objection, ask him to rebut it.

You'll see just how weak he actually is.

When a believer praises their "God", they're praising their own ideas about the object of their worship.

That, in effect, makes them guilty of the same vain, self elevating behavior they accuse atheists of displaying.

They praise themselves via a surrogate called "God".

I've yet to meet a believer that didn't think they weren't in agreement with "God", a magical being which is really their own perceptions wearing a divine mask.

I think you got it right. As an atheist, I don't worship or make myself a god. If anything is a god to me, it would be the Universe and the whole existence. It is quite larger and more powerful than me. And I watch in awe how beautiful and amazing the sky is at night.

The idea as the "self" being a god comes from the understanding that we use our own minds and intellects to deduce what we consider to be true or not. But... that's exactly what Christians do as well. Every Christian has made a god out of themselves. Each and every Christian consider him and herself to be the ultimate source of true knowledge about God and what Bible verse is literal or not, and how to interpret the verses correctly. So if anyone has made him or herself as god (or the voice of god), it would be the Christian.

So far he has not deigned to reply... I can only hope it's because he was so embarrassed once he realized how rude and insulting he had been, that he wanted to pretend it never happened... although I'm not holding out much hope of that.

...I will also explain that even if he is using a looser definition of the word "God" (which I know will be his response to me saying my intellect is not supernatural), in which I "make" something "God" by worshiping it, that he would have to define what he means by worship, and that neither myself nor any other atheist I have ever had contact with "worships" themselves or their own "supposed intellect"...

People do not leave the cult because they consider their own brain/reasoning to be gawd (read: perfect). On the contrary, it is all too often the awareness that the mind and "common sense" often do fail us that leads to critical thinking and application of a method of reasoning that blocks out as many errors as possible (gee, if only we had a name for it... like "scientific method" for example), whereas the cultists grab one thought (that is usually not even their own one) and consider it perfect without any solid proof.

Booya! Eat this, morontheist! :fdevil: