Goodbye Jesus

Scientology

Noggy

Granted, the only thing I know about scientology is from South Park, but is it really as dumb as the episode suggests? Does anyone actually believe it that isn't crazy or being paid by their church?

They have a highly successful form of self hypnosis especially for people who suffer from addiction. The religious / mythos aspect is hokey, but it's not meant to be taken seriously. It's only a religion when it suits them for tax breaks and defamation lawsuits. The rest of the time it is an expensive self help system.I think it's a decent system, but anyone interested in pseudo spiritual self empowerment systems would likely do better with the Temple of Set, Church of Satan, or old fashioned yoga.

It's only a religion when it suits them for tax breaks and defamation lawsuits.

QFT. It's a business.

Also, yes, for self-help, one is far better off doing just about anything else, especially if they're not rich. Just do mindfulness meditation.

Granted, the only thing I know about scientology is from South Park, but is it really as dumb as the episode suggests? Does anyone actually believe it that isn't crazy or being paid by their church?

It's a terribly abusive cult that has destroyed lives - sometimes literally.

http://www.xenu.net/

As for being stupid, is it any more stupid to believe in aliens than it is to believe there is a god who can only save you by sacrificing himself to himself?

• Like 1

Scientology is the weird Uncle Earl of religions.

• Like 2

Ask Florduh about it. I hear he used to be a scientologist.

• Super Moderator

Ask Florduh about it. I hear he used to be a scientologist.

Bite me.

• Like 1

BAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Dude. It's so true. I love it.

I have a weird Uncle Earl. Can you guess which one he is?

earl.JPG

I have a weird Uncle Earl. Can you guess which one he is?

post-896-0-94618800-1310323398_thumb.jpg

:funny:

Love the pants!

Yes, but it's more insidious than that. The average Scientologist can't afford to learn about Xenu (I mean it literally, they can't afford to learn about Xenu from Scientology because it is too expensive), but if the "church" sees that you are wealthy enough, they will invite you to become OT III (operating thetan). The reason why a Scientologist cannot learn about Xenu even if they have close friends that are OT III or higher is because they have a system called "Keeping Scientology Working", which means that you cannot speak about your position in Scientology to anyone--not even your closest loved ones--or else you will have to go through "out ethics", which is basically like being interregated.

Edit because I got a little side tracked: Scientologists are conditioned to believe everything L. Ron Hubberd wrote is to be taken as literal truth, even the story of Xenu and the thetans. But when you step back and really analyze the story, it is no more bat shit crazy then any other myth out there (how is Xenu any more absurd than any other story in the Bible?).

I have trouble believing that those running the business church truly believe what they teach, which is somewhat concerning. What's even more concerning are those who do take it seriously. Tom Cruise comes to mind..

Scientology is the modern day bullshit and we all laugh and ridicule it like the Romans did with Christianity. I sometimes fear what we'll see in 300 years though, hopefully not the same rude shock the Romans did have.

[it's a terribly abusive cult that has destroyed lives - sometimes literally.

http://www.xenu.net/

As for being stupid, is it any more stupid to believe in aliens than it is to believe there is a god who can only save you by sacrificing himself to himself?

This. I'm glad you posted xenu.net. Some techniques they use (and which can be found in plenty of places elsewhere) may be helpful but the way they run the group itself is seriously, seriously bad.

Yes, but it's more insidious than that. The average Scientologist can't afford to learn about Xenu (I mean it literally, they can't afford to learn about Xenu from Scientology because it is too expensive), but if the "church" sees that you are wealthy enough, they will invite you to become OT III (operating thetan). The reason why a Scientologist cannot learn about Xenu even if they have close friends that are OT III or higher is because they have a system called "Keeping Scientology Working", which means that you cannot speak about your position in Scientology to anyone--not even your closest loved ones--or else you will have to go through "out ethics", which is basically like being interregated.

Yes. I have read a lot of things from ex-members about the stuff they went through.

I have trouble believing that those running the business church truly believe what they teach, which is somewhat concerning. What's even more concerning are those who do take it seriously. Tom Cruise comes to mind..

Scientology is the modern day bullshit and we all laugh and ridicule it like the Romans did with Christianity. I sometimes fear what we'll see in 300 years though, hopefully not the same rude shock the Romans did have.

Miscaviage, from what I have heard, does not believe in all the bullshit, but he perpetuate fear and tyranny because he can maintain power. He is in it only for the money.

Anyone see Battlefield Earth (aka "Codpiece Wars")? That was John Travolta's attempt to get the Scientology message out to the public, and was described by one reviewer as a "wholly miserable experience".

No doubt that he has done very well personally, and I think that is a direct result of his self-confidence and his early dancing ability. But like Christians, he attributes his abilities to his beliefs rather than to himself.

Anyone see Battlefield Earth (aka "Codpiece Wars")? That was John Travolta's attempt to get the Scientology message out to the public, and was described by one reviewer as a "wholly miserable experience".

Even Scientologists hate it.

Bumper sticker idea I recently had:

Scientology: Because some like their cool-aid strong

Bumper sticker idea I recently had:

Scientology: Because some like their cool-aid strong

Make that and be prepared to be sued into oblivion.

L. Ron Hubbard admits it is based on science fiction...."You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion."

Shit...if you are going to follow a science fiction based religion....might as well worship 'The Force' of Star Wars.... :HaHa:

Worship is definitely not the right word.