Goodbye Jesus

What Was It Like To Be Gay And Christian?

J.P.

Hi,

After reading through the post on people talking about what it was like to be Christian and female, I thought I'd post this and see what it was like for other gay people who were Christians and have since deconverted.

I'm gay myself and being gay and Christian was a complex experience. When I first realized I was gay around 13, I felt like God I was some sick joke by God. I had religious OCD and the combination of that and being gay felt like a exceedingly cruel combination to put on a kid just managing to regain a sense of normality in life. After pulling myself through some bad depression, I thought I could pull the two things together and be a gay Christian, though stayed away from the Bible for a couple years afraid to see what it said. When I did upon entering college, I spent several months of intense study and struggle (and again, depression), before I finally felt I had reconciled the two. Never went to Church and so college was my first experience with other Christians. I wasn't about to join any youth groups or open up to any of them. I labeled them as 'unsafe' to open up to. However, I met some really nice Christians, as well as some pretty homophobic unfriendly ones.

Upon transferring to a far more liberal college (think Berkeley liberal, and then some . . .), I joined the Christian group there and was openly gay. They were overall very respectful of me and were great people. However, I knew there was difference of opinion about homosexuality within the group, I couldn't let my guard down completely. Overall though, I think it was a pretty great group for me to have been in if I wanted to stay a Christian. Thing was, my intellectual doubts took over and after realizing my questions about Christianity didn't necessarily have answers, I began down the path of deconversion.

For other gay people here, how was it for you being gay and Christian? I'm really interested to hear your experiences.

Guest Babylonian Dream

It was hell. It was denial, depression, and seeing yourself as an abomination if you saw a guy and had tempting thoughts. I almost took my own life. That was what it was like for me to be gay and christian.

Being gay in a christian family, meant that when I did come out, even though I accepted me, my mother still hasn't. things haven't been the same since.

I didn't know I was gay/bi until after I deconverted. It was just inconceivable to me, so I misinterpreted all the things that should have been clues. Like I was taught that only men are turned on by visual things, so when I saw sexy advertisements featuring women and started to feel all weird, I assumed I was feeling that way because I wanted to be that woman so that men would like me. I think I did briefly wonder if I was a lesbian, but since I sometimes thought pictures of guys with muscles looked nice and didn't know that bi was an option, I assumed I must have been hetero. Then I got terrified of my own body, because if I, as a completely straight non-visually-aroused woman (ha!) would feel that strongly towards sexy pictures of other women, it must be overwhelmingly awful to be a man and have to see any woman looking the slightest bit attractive. I purposefully wore baggy clothes for years (puberty until mid/late 20s) because I was terrified of what the sight of my body would do to other people.

In high school (a christian school) I was mostly asexual. This confused the other women in my class when they'd pester me to talk about which guys (in our class or actors or whatever) I had a crush on, and I never had an answer. But I got lucky, and they were just confused and mostly left it alone.

I think, if I was male, it would have been a lot harder. The impression I get is that lesbians are something to be scandalized about and to gossip about, whereas gay men elicit a more... violent hatred. And it's easier for girls to display affection physically without scaring people than it is for boys.

I want not raised in the church and my parents were only nominally Christian. I too recognized I was gay at around the age 13. At age 16 I decided to find some crazy-assed conservative Christian Church so I could be cured. I chose the Mormon Church for sole reason that I could get a ride from a neighbor.

I spent the next two years in a living in hell of my own making. Being gay and an active Christian in a non-accepting church is the epitome of self-loathing. Until I joined the church I have never experienced any OCD symptoms, but after I joined I spent the next two years obsessed with light switches, clocks, and doorknobs. I left just a week before high school graduation in June of 1978. I was so depressed and miserable on my last trip to church that I had to stop in a parking lot to cry. Something snapped that day in that parking lot. I was suddenly convinced that NO ONE including me had every communicated with god or knew why they hell we were here. I still don’t know and don’t care in the least.

Looking back I have no hard feelings against the Mormon people I grew to know during that period. The Mormons are conservative but they don’t have the Evangelical kind of Hell to send people to. I lied to them when I joined about my reasons for becoming a member and I must take responsibility for that. Most of the people were very nice. In fact my favorite co-worker is a father of five and a Mormon and we get along just fine. (He knows I am gay) Even my twin brother joined six months after I was ex-communicated in 1980. I framed the document; it is still hanging on the wall, a testament to thinking for myself.