Goodbye Jesus

Mathematical Suffering/dependence

ApostatePaul

I asked a friend to explain to me his beliefs a while back because I wanted to see how he reconciled some things... He described to me a "mathematical relationship" that depicted his understanding of heaven/hell, suffering/relief, and dependence/independence with relationship to God. Basically, it was an exponential relationship, with independence = hell, suffering = hell, dependence = heaven, and relief = heaven, like below. Hell and heaven are asymptotes until you die, you see. Wanting to make sure I understood it, drew a picture of his description in some top-of-the-line art program that came with my top-of-the-line OS, and I felt like it was so legit I needed to share it (plus I just think the whole concept is silly):

zeesprop.png

And... after drawing this, I decided I might as well draw what I thought was actually the case also:

meesprop.png

I may go into graphic design after this, I think it may be my calling.

Hmm.... what on earth do I mean by "calling"?

Indoctrination. Gah.

• 2 weeks later...

hummmmm, I think you're on to something.

So at origin a person would be completely dependent on God, i.e. a slave, to get complete relief from the suffering God commanded.

God is still an asshole. :shrug:

It's hard to get rid of God's evil assholiness. Not even a pretty graph helps.

Of course religionists believe that heaven/relief = total dependence. How else will the church collect offerings and trust money?

All religions are geared to make their followers think this earth and their eternal hopes will evaporate away if they don't unquestioningly obey them.

The pictures are pretty, though. I wonder if it actually adds credibility when you show some graph to targets for evangelism?

• 1 month later...

I asked a friend to explain to me his beliefs a while back because I wanted to see how he reconciled some things... He described to me a "mathematical relationship" that depicted his understanding of heaven/hell, suffering/relief, and dependence/independence with relationship to God. Basically, it was an exponential relationship, with independence = hell, suffering = hell, dependence = heaven, and relief = heaven, like below. Hell and heaven are asymptotes until you die, you see. Wanting to make sure I understood it, drew a picture of his description in some top-of-the-line art program that came with my top-of-the-line OS, and I felt like it was so legit I needed to share it (plus I just think the whole concept is silly):

zeesprop.png

I like your plot better, but assuming your friend was right, why would the red curve just stop there?! People in heaven would have to become like robots or mindless zombies for it to just stop, forever "drugged" into being at relief (peace?) all the time and to eternally praise their "dear leader" (kind of like what goes on in North Korea). More likely, the red curve would continue left and down from point 0 on the X/Y axis', then take a sudden dive into a new kind of hell where everyone must mindlessly praise god (seems to be the case after reading Revelation). In other words, eternally praising a dictator is bound to get old and become another kind of hell at some point.