Goodbye Jesus

Demonic Possession

Bodhi-in-Training

First off, I appologize if this has been discussed before, but I was briefly watching a program tonight (I believe it was called Exorcist:The True Story).

At one point a Neurologist believed that the "possessed" actually suffered from Temporal Lobe Seizures. If you google this medical condition you will find some of the symptoms include hallucinations, profuse salivation, forced turning of the head among countless other symptons. Of couse this brief interview was followed up by some priest going on about..if you don't think demons are real...burn in hell for eternity...blah blah blah. It was around that point I rolled my eyes and changed the channel.

But it did get me thinking of a few things, not only how sad it was for the victim who desperately needed medical attention and instead received scripture readings, but hypethetically speaking. If I were Satan, and I was going to possess somebody...why a child?? Why not a person of power, someone through whom I could really cause some havoc??

I don't believe in "demonic possession" and I think it's sad that people believe in and practice exorcisms at the expense of someone who needs real medical help.

funny how only certain belief systems get 'possessed', maybe it's in their blood line.

Guest Psychobunny56

The piece of research on the link between temporal lobe seizures and increased religiosity has been tested several times and never replicated. The research uses transcranial magnetic stimulation (an electromagnet shaped like the number 8) of the temporal lobes to simulate the neural activity of a seizure. Clinically, however, extreme religiosity is commonly seen in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy.

It is interesting that exorcisms are never carried out on atheists, skeptics, etc. It would appear the the belief in invisible magical beings is a prerequisite for being possessed by them. Occam's Razor would suggest that a medical condition and/pr self-delusion is the more realistic explanation.

It is interesting that exorcisms are never carried out on atheists, skeptics, etc. It would appear the the belief in invisible magical beings is a prerequisite for being possessed by them. Occam's Razor would suggest that a medical condition and/pr self-delusion is the more realistic explanation.

102634[/snapback]

Indeed this is true, Bruce. The Christian will tell you that Satan already has you because you don't believe in Christ. ;)

102634[/snapback]

Indeed this is true, Bruce. The Christian will tell you that Satan already has you because you don't believe in Christ. ;)

102645[/snapback]

So instead of my head spinning around and walking on the ceiling, I use logic and reason? That sucks, I would really like to projectile vomit pea green soul at a priest. Remind me to speak to Satan at the next EAC meeting about this policy of not letting skeptics have any fun.

102634[/snapback]

102645[/snapback]

So instead of my head spinning around and walking on the ceiling, I use logic and reason? That sucks, I would really like to projectile vomit pea green soul at a priest. Remind me to speak to Satan at the next EAC meeting about this policy of not letting skeptics have any fun.

102656[/snapback]

:lmao::lmao:

102656[/snapback]

:HaHa::HaHa::HaHa:

102634[/snapback]

Thats true. Very often you will find that the families of the "possessed" are very devout Catholics.

102634[/snapback]

Thats true. Very often you will find that the families of the "possessed" are very devout Catholics.

103068[/snapback]

seems like there's a whole shitload of people who go around in the darkness, saying it's the light. they fear everyuthing, they spook themselves, they cast aspersions about EVERYONE ELSE, and then wonder why people react to them the way they do.

HELLO? WAKE UP! it's so sad.

I hate seeing a real piece of ass saving themselves for marriage. come on, by the time your 30, give it up and go out and get laid. they don't even give themselves the gift of solo orgasm. what a waste

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this all gets back to the Santa Claus Christian and his debating mate.

In "spiritual" terms a "demon" means an inner affect that causes a lack of harmony within ( de-mon (mon meaning 1, oneness))

An "exorcism" was SUPPOSED to help, by whatever means, harmony to return within the mind and/or passion of the person.

A demon can be caused by medical means or by simply acquiring conflicting, yet important, thoughts.

You could say that a person can have a medical demon (causing disharmony of the body and/or brain) or have a mental (or "spiritual") demon causing a disharmony of motivation and emotions.

To accept that ALL behavior is merely a matter of medication is a VERY, VERY bad idea, yet many push the thought anyway.

Remind me to speak to Satan at the next EAC meeting about this policy of not letting skeptics have any fun.

Me too, damn it! :vent:

There are times where I get this painful "kink" in my neck, and I have to sort of "cock' my head to the side in order to snap it out. I just KNOW that if I were enabled to spin my head all the way around, just once, this wouldn't be a problem for me anymore. :mellow:

:HaHa: