Goodbye Jesus

I Went To Church Today

homospiritus

A Unitarian church! And it was pretty nice! I still need a community to be a part of so I don't isolate myself from people and possibly wind up in bad shape. I read their spiritual literature and it had quotes from all religions, and it felt just right for me ^_^ so I think I'm gonna return to that church!

I need to add that the quotes from all the religions were positive, not condemning. They take the good parts of every religion and celebrate those parts.

• Like 2

Sounds very cool. Glad you liked it and I hope you enjoy it for as long as you choose to associate yourself with that church.

I went to a Unitarian church last week. They had a guest speaker who talked about the state of Buddhism in the US today. It was all possible - and relevant. I enjoyed it too. I'm happy that you have found a group you think you can be a part of.

good for you! I'm interested in the unitarians (as well as the quakers) but I think it's going to be a while before I can walk into something with the word "church" on the sign.

I've been asked to sing at the UU a few times. I supposed I just don't get the "churchiness" of it, i.e. why so daggone early in the morning? why the ritualism? It's as if they want to retain the form of old school protestantism and just change the sermons.

I could never voluntarily join something that expects you to sit indoors and be quiet that early in the morning.

and the clothes, don't get me started.

Well for me it's not about the form. I need a sense of community without the christian dogma where people are intent on helping the needy and from what I've observed from them so far they are beautiful people who do just that. :)

I'd try a unitarian church but I'm afraid having all that smoke blown up my ass would give me colon cancer.

mwc

I need a sense of community without the christian dogma

Yeah, I think that's about the best thing about christianity. You can just walk into your type of denominational church anywhere in the world and feel like you're in a familiar atmosphere around like-minded, friendly people. It's a sense of community you don't really get anywhere else. And if christians are honest, it's one of the main reasons they go to church: their friendships. It doesn't matter how spiritual you are, if you don't have friends at your church, you'll stop going.

I was traveling overseas and was feeling rather lonely, so stepped into a church and had one of the best times of my trip. I just connected with people after the service and had a good time. Now that I'm ex-c, I just couldn't do it: "So how long you been saved, brother?" "ummmm...."

good for you! I'm interested in the unitarians (as well as the quakers) but I think it's going to be a while before I can walk into something with the word "church" on the sign.

I know what you mean. I've thought about the Unitarians but for now, walking in the woods seems right.

I know what you mean. I've thought about the Unitarians but for now, walking in the woods seems right.

that wording has a LOT to do with tax exemption.

All that stuff is just good philosophy with a religion brand stamped onto it. I'd never go but glad you liked it regardless.

I've been asked to sing at the UU a few times. I supposed I just don't get the "churchiness" of it, i.e. why so daggone early in the morning? why the ritualism? It's as if they want to retain the form of old school protestantism and just change the sermons.

I could never voluntarily join something that expects you to sit indoors and be quiet that early in the morning.

Not all Unitarian churches are the same.

Some Unitarian congregations have a taint of "churchiness" complete with rituals and a preacher wearing vestments.

Many do not — including the one I sometimes attend, where, last Sunday, the minister showed up in shorts, a tee shirt and Birkenstocks. It wasn't the first time, and nobody really cared. Most of the members are ex-christian agnostic/atheists who just enjoy a good discussion among smart people.

A Unitarian church! And it was pretty nice!

Hooray!!! Three cheers to resourceful thinking!!!

Mongo

Not all Unitarian churches are the same.

Some Unitarian congregations have a taint of "churchiness" complete with rituals and a preacher wearing vestments.

Many do not — including the one I sometimes attend, where, last Sunday, the minister showed up in shorts, a tee shirt and Birkenstocks. It wasn't the first time, and nobody really cared. Most of the members are ex-christian agnostic/atheists who just enjoy a good discussion among smart people.

I think you proved my pt w/ the words "sunday" "minister" and "birkenstocks", unless you meant it was late sunday afternoon.

the ones I attended did not even have a minister, just whichever lesbian wanted to preach that sunday. and yet it was sunday. and in the morning. and yes there were birkenstocks a-plenty. but there was still a church-y looking program, with hymns listed, etc. even tho those hymns were about a stallion running on the beach. so wtf?

why sunday morning if no one is going to DRESS like sunday morning? Honestly my tailored Kors was pearls before swine at the UU. Even the drag queens were crunchy.