Goodbye Jesus

Communion Bread

heather

So, I've made communion bread before...for communion, but my 9-year-old thought it was quite tasty and would ask me to make it for snacks. I always said no, thinking that it seemed wrong. It was supposed to be special or something. So now I don't feel that way anymore. And she asked for communion bread for lunch yesterday. I thought, "What the hell, why not?"

It was delicious with peanut butter and honey.

She toasted hers for dinner tonight.

I still feel just a little bit weird about it, but I thought the best way to show her that it didn't matter and it wasn't "special bread" was to just eat it. Anyone else have any residual feelings about communion?

Isn't it just plain old unleavened bread (where the yeast is left out so it won't rise)?

What are the ingredients in the bread you make?

In the missionary baptist and southern baptist churches I was a part of, the "communion bread" were these ghastly, tasteless cracker-like things. Little bread chunks don't appeal to me and they were bought at the local bible book store - usually the "Baptist Book Store," now "Lifeway Christian Books." So, nobody had a recipe.

Mass produced tasteless crackers - so American!

• Like 1

isn't it great when religious objects (communion bread, a bible, a crucifix) no longer have power over us?

Go YOU!

Isn't it just plain old unleavened bread (where the yeast is left out so it won't rise)?

What are the ingredients in the bread you make?

In the missionary baptist and southern baptist churches I was a part of, the "communion bread" were these ghastly, tasteless cracker-like things. Little bread chunks don't appeal to me and they were bought at the local bible book store - usually the "Baptist Book Store," now "Lifeway Christian Books." So, nobody had a recipe.

Mass produced tasteless crackers - so American!

Ugh, the crackers are awful! You're right, it's just unleavened bread (flour, oil, etc.), but I make it with loads of honey. :)

. . .

Ugh, the crackers are awful! You're right, it's just unleavened bread (flour, oil, etc.), but I make it with loads of honey. :)

So my thinking is that SHOULD somebody object to your using "communion" bread, just say "It's unleavened bread - no yeast." Because that's all it is. It's the belief + the gathering + the oogey boogey motions of the priest or minister that make it "communion."

My church uses unleavened bread. I think they add a bit of salt to it. Combined with grape wine, that stuff is delicious. I won't lie. The main reason I looked forward to communion was that it tasted great. Wish I could make it home... I might try it out.

Wait. So where'd you get fresh ground "jesus" to add to yours? I've tried other zombie meat but it's just not the same.

mwc