Goodbye Jesus

Smart Little Girl

SillyString

Hopefully she'll keep asking questions. She's way ahead of her Dad. :)

• Like 1

Joshua...

ugh.

+ 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 !!!!!

kL

+ 100000000000000000000000000000000000000 !!!!!

kL

Very smart kid! I think that could have been me as a child!! :twitch::grin: I ALWAYS asked way tooooooo many questions......

Christianity is so backwards even a child can understand that.

I agree that what this little girl is saying is rather insightful, but I don't think she is uniquely smart. I think we only see her as being uniquely smart because, for the most part, we ignore the things that children say. Much more often than we recognize, children are capable of grasping and expressing rather complex and rational concepts. The only reason a little girl like this stands out is because so many adults have become so accustomed to silencing their children or expressing concepts to them in dumbed down and incoherent ways, we tend to assume that children have simple minds. I don't think this is the case at all.

What we should be celebrating is a set of parents who obviously encouraged their daughter to express herself by speaking to her as a coherent and rational being. The intelligence of children will blossom if allowed. It is only by stifling children that we get the often sad products of later adulthood.

I know I was silenced unfairly....

• Like 2

I agree that what this little girl is saying is rather insightful, but I don't think she is uniquely smart. I think we only see her as being uniquely smart because, for the most part, we ignore the things that children say. Much more often than we recognize, children are capable of grasping and expressing rather complex and rational concepts. The only reason a little girl like this stands out is because so many adults have become so accustomed to silencing their children or expressing concepts to them in dumbed down and incoherent ways, we tend to assume that children have simple minds. I don't think this is the case at all.

What we should be celebrating is a set of parents who obviously encouraged their daughter to express herself by speaking to her as a coherent and rational being. The intelligence of children will blossom if allowed. It is only by stifling children that we get the often sad products of later adulthood.

I know I was silenced unfairly....

I had similar thoughts, too. The little girl is not necessarily uniquely smart, but somehow she was able to read a simple passage in a book written for children and ask a profound question. She used logical thinking to see the contradiction in the issue of "god" learning about himself. But I don't give the father too much credit here. As soon as I heard the child ask her question, I knew the answer from a Christian perspective, and true to form, that was what her father told her. What I see in the video is a child's inquisitive mind being slowly transformed by pat answers with the hope and desire to transform her questioning mind into an accepting one. It's a great video to show that in action and to explain just how early the Christian indoctrination begins and in what subtle forms it takes.

• Like 4

As soon as I heard the child ask her question, I knew the answer from a Christian perspective, and true to form, that was what her father told her. What I see in the video is a child's inquisitive mind being slowly transformed by pat answers with the hope and desire to transform her questioning mind into an accepting one.

Exactly. The parents will do this every day she asks a question until she learns either (1) to stop asking difficult questions of her parents, or (2) to not ask difficult questions of anyone, including herself, because some things are a 'mystery'. Hopefully it will be (1), or very improbably a (3rd) option: her questions will needle her parents into doubting.

• Like 2

I agree that children are VERY smart. My daughter, like this little girl, also has a very inquisitive mind and asks lots of questions. I always try to answer her truthfully and encourage her to always ask questions.

OF made a good point about the Father's response to this little girl's question. Nature vs. nurture comes to mind. Children want to please their parents, so her future questioning will depend a lot on her parent's reactions to her curiosity about things.

I agree that children are VERY smart. My daughter, like this little girl, also has a very inquisitive mind and asks lots of questions. Most children do. I always try to answer her truthfully and encourage her to always ask questions.

OF made a good point about the Father's response to this little girl's question. Nature vs. nurture comes to mind. Children want to please their parents, so her future questioning will depend a lot on her parent's reactions to her curiosity about things.

Oops. Tried to edit my reply and just quoted myself.

Yeah, good point OF.