Goodbye Jesus

Doomsayers Suck

Rockalocka

They have controlled the fear of our Earth for ages. With the notion of Biblical end times (which have been addressed multiple times on this site), 2012 (which has no scientific proof and spawned from cultural ignorance), and an asteroid crashing into our planet. All of it has created fear in us at some point, especially when we were Christians. In today's society, fear mongers run rampant, telling us Jesus is due back anytime and 2012 is fast approaching. So many things would be better without them. Anyone else agree? I hope you do.

• Like 1

Maybe. On the flip side, if an asteroid really was going to hit the earth, I would sure like to know about it.

I've grown a bit resilient to doomsday prophets. If they're right, or anyone of them, well, we're screwed. All of us. That's it. Warnings about impeding doom really only helps if there is a solution to avoid it. I mean, there's no use to scream "we're about to hit the ground and die!!!" while your falling without a parachute. It's better to hear about the missing parachute before you jump out of the plane. But it doesn't sound as "doomy" and "gloomy" when you tell someone "You're about to hit the ground and die because you haven't put on your parachute yet!" inside the plane.

I've grown a bit resilient to doomsday prophets. If they're right, or anyone of them, well, we're screwed. All of us. That's it. Warnings about impeding doom really only helps if there is a solution to avoid it. I mean, there's no use to scream "we're about to hit the ground and die!!!" while your falling without a parachute. It's better to hear about the missing parachute before you jump out of the plane.

But it doesn't sound as "doomy" and "gloomy" when you tell someone "You're about to hit the ground and die

because you haven't put on your parachute yet!" inside the plane

I guess you guys are right. In some cases it's fine. But it annoyed me today because I got yet another warning on my door from Jehovah witnesses telling me that Jesus is returning soon.

I've grown a bit resilient to doomsday prophets. If they're right, or anyone of them, well, we're screwed. All of us. That's it. Warnings about impeding doom really only helps if there is a solution to avoid it. I mean, there's no use to scream "we're about to hit the ground and die!!!" while your falling without a parachute. It's better to hear about the missing parachute before you jump out of the plane.

But it doesn't sound as "doomy" and "gloomy" when you tell someone "You're about to hit the ground and die

because you haven't put on your parachute yet!" inside the plane

I guess you guys are right. In some cases it's fine. But it annoyed me today because I got yet another warning on my door from Jehovah witnesses telling me that Jesus is returning soon.

That, I would simply blow off. :) I would just feel bad that, in my opinion, they are wasting their Saturday.

I know right? No, but really, I've pretty much debunked most end of the world theories for myself. There isn't currently an asteroid that will hit us an kill us all, the chance of Apophis are very slim, all of the 2012 theories have been debunked by hundreds of scientists and people with common sense, the end times are ridiculous, and multiple other things that if you simply search, you will find thy most doomsday speakers these days are incorrect!

• Super Moderator

According to legend, Jesus himself said he would return before the generation he was addressing had passed away. Obviously, that prediction made by the one character who should know this shit didn't get it right. The thousands of prognosticators who followed didn't get it right.

Fear is the best tool politicians, religionists, and advertisers have in their arsenals. They all have a purpose, and it ain't to inform you of any truth.

• Like 3

I agree with you, probably more than anyone on this site.....i have a lot of problems with this kind of stuff. 2012 and secular doomsday stuff never really bothered me though for some reason. It's the full blown end time religious scenarios that scare the shit out of me. Mostly because a lot of the time there can seem like there's something to them. I do agree that such things really hinder any advancement. Hell i can barely function because of my fear of a particular end time scenario/prophecy!

All i know is most of them are completely without any evidence or basis, some of them seem somewhat plausible, and crank out the fear mongering (i'd say fear is the most effective tool). honestly half the time i don't think the fear mongering is about saving the lost, it seems like they revel the end time scenario where the foolish unbelievers are trapped in a deception.

Anyways, i understand what you're saying very well, i was raised in a fringe group so i know a lot of the horrifying end time prophecy stuff.....it really takes a toll on someone, especially if you have a predisposition of worrying till you're physically sick!

I was traumatized as a child as I sat through a four week sermon on Revelation. I was scared for months.

But, it is true! He is returning soon. 2,000,000 years from now. That is "soon" in God's eyes. :grin:

You ex Christians and your sarcasm! I love it!

:)

But, it is true! He is returning soon. 2,000,000 years from now. That is "soon" in God's eyes. :grin: