Goodbye Jesus

Why The Hell?

Rockalocka

Why can't I stop? Why can't I stop the fear inside me? I'm a hypochondriac. I'm prone to panic attacks. Im prone to lies. Im prone to fear. Fear. Something people use to torment others. It happens to me all the time. What if I die? What if I die in some mass extinction/cataclysmic/super killing event? What if I have to live through something like that? What then? Am I afraid of death? Honestly? Yes. The unknown. I know that reading doomsday theories are bad for me. They worm into my brain and I worry for days on end. I can't stop myself. My brain is a fucking runaway train. I need help. Someone try and help. I don't care why how or who. Just help. I need this to stop. And worse, if I ever have kids, will they have to go through that? Is the government even really trying to save our environment? To turn green? Are we working fast enough to save ourselves from catastrophic events? Help. Stop the train. Get the doctor, I don't want to die that way.

I know this sounds insane, but it's pretty much an accurate description of my mind right now plus more that I left out.

You need to get some serious help. Life isn't really that bad.

mwc

This is one of my biggest beefs with the way the media is run. If you listen to nothing but the news, your perspective will be totally out of wack. They take reality and spin it into something that isn't there with whatever slant they choose. Or they exaggerate and blow things out of proportion. Innuendo about people, sensationalism, censorship, corporate sponsorship, are among the motivations for whatever is presented. They also love paranoia: doomsday events, religious or not, sell. If you don't get out of your neighborhood and travel to other places, especially other countries, you'll tend to believe what they package. Reality is much different than the news. Those like yourself who are sensitive to a worst case scenario, will be most susceptible. Remember, the media loves to prey on people's fears.

The population of the world right now is about 6 billion, I think. A small percentage of people commit atrocities, yet it seems tragedy is just around the corner if you listen to the media. I would suggest spending the next month without reading, watching, or listening to anything from the media except music. You'll probably feel better.

• Like 2

i feel that way somtimes but i allways fight it with as much logic as posible and ussualy it works jsut fine.

Since the vast majority of the things we worry about never happen, it's best to follow the words of former pres. George W. Bush:

alfred_e_neuman.jpg

Take a break from the news media. Start a great fiction TV series, like Battlestar Galactica (if you like sci fi). However, BSG isn't light watching. I remember it getting pretty intense for me when I was watching it (emotionally). I find episodes of The Office are great for taking your mind off things for a bit... but they're off season right now.

If you're nerdy, watch something like Carl Sagan's Cosmos or something else to give you an opportunity to learn something new. Read non fiction. Actually, scratch that. Lots of non fiction is serious and in your state of mind, might just make you worry more (especially if you read political or religion/atheism books). Read some light fiction.

Basically, take a break. You are heading towards burn out. I know, my brain tends to race as well. Also, give a try to mindfulness meditation. It isn't crock. I haven't done ti myself but with the little I've done it does actually help. There's no religious aspect to it... it's just basic meditation. It will help you to focus your mind a bit more than you otherwise do.

If you are a somewhat aware person, you'll find a new outrage to be worried about every day, especially now that one has access to a lot of info on the internet. Although there are many different issues that "should" get our attention, we are limited. We can't be outraged at everything that deserves it. It is just simply impossible.

Maybe it's time you confide some of your fears to your parents (if I recall, you're fifteen years old). You don't necessarily have to tell them you have serious doubts about Christianity, but try telling them the things you confided in the OP. My assumption is that they love you and if that is the case, they will help you through this, hopefully by sending you to a good, professional counselor of some type.

Okay, Rockalocka, I'm not a doctor. I'm not a therapist. This site can't provide the counseling that you really need. But (just throwing a suggestion your way) maybe you can consider getting involved in a sport or regular physical activity. I can say firsthand that's helped me with my anxiety and depression. Stay busy. Find things to get involved in. I don't know what you plan after high school, but are you preparing for college? It's a tough world out there. This is your time to prepare and hone your competitive edge. Good luck, R

Why can't I stop? Why can't I stop the fear inside me? I'm a hypochondriac. I'm prone to panic attacks. Im prone to lies. Im prone to fear. Fear. Something people use to torment others. It happens to me all the time. What if I die? What if I die in some mass extinction/cataclysmic/super killing event? What if I have to live through something like that? What then? Am I afraid of death? Honestly? Yes. The unknown. I know that reading doomsday theories are bad for me. They worm into my brain and I worry for days on end. I can't stop myself. My brain is a fucking runaway train. I need help. Someone try and help. I don't care why how or who. Just help. I need this to stop. And worse, if I ever have kids, will they have to go through that? Is the government even really trying to save our environment? To turn green? Are we working fast enough to save ourselves from catastrophic events? Help. Stop the train. Get the doctor, I don't want to die that way.

Welcome Rockalocka - I sympathized with your post because fear is a monster built within us for 'survival. It is our biggest instinct. you say 'what if I die'? You will die someday, my friend, but you might as well live fully until then.

I have faced a lot of fear in my life (things that I dreaded) and I have made it through it all. You will too. Because the survival instinct will kick in again for you to fight.The unknown is a scary place - and we must control our minds. You become the Sargent major of your life and tell your mind what to do. I mean that literally. When my mind takes over, I blast my favorite music, go for a run, jump up and down and do anything I can to distract the enemy of my thoughts.. Find something very pleasant to focus on. And breathe, slowly.......The panic comes from hyperventilating.

If this does become a thing that takes over your life - go and talk to someone professional. Keep posting your concerns - we are here for you

Now.............go and have some fun.........

Rockalocka. We all know we are going to die someday, despite all we can do to try and postpone that event. We cross the road and we know there is a possibility that a careless or drunken driver may run us over. We go out at night and we know that we may be held up and may even be murdered. We climb a ladder and know that we may fall. etc.

The trick is not to think of these things. What can you do about death? Nothing. You're going to die one day so it's pointless worrying about it. As it is pointless worrying about other things. If they happen, they happen and most times there is nothing you could have done to stop them.

in the newspaper last week it was shown that you could forget painful memories by not thinking about them, by thinking of something else if they come up. If you keep thinking of something, it continually reinforces that memory and keeps it fresh. You need to get on with your life and stop thinking about your death because none of us have that long here, and we atheists know this is the only chance we get at any kind of existence. Don't waste it.

A quote from Parker Lewis (TV): Life is full of ups and downs but as you are not up for very long, so you are not down for very long.

it's not as bad as you think.