Goodbye Jesus

Post Your Own Quotes.

Josefe

Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones
(Marcus Aurelius)

Casey

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Just made this one up on the spot. Is it too harsh?

-Philosophers, paleoanthropologists, evolutionary biologists and the like have pondered for centuries exactly what it is that makes us human. Some have said it is the ability to make fire, use tools, etc. Some say it is physical features such as the development of our bepedialism, opposable thumbs and brain to body proportion. Yet others still say it is our moral reasoning skills and language. I would posit that what truly makes us human is our ability to stare up at the stars and ponder our own inevitable mortality. To that effect, only about 10% of the earth's population which was previously believed to be human actually are.

Here's a good video on this subject.

http://www.ted.com/talks/robert_sapolsky_the_uniqueness_of_humans.html

"Religion causes people to make sacrifices in this life for an afterlife that's never going to happen." - Magick Monkey!!

"In regards to questions we can't answer, it's better to accept ignorance than to accept fairy tales as a substitute for the truth." Magick Monkey

"When one man is worshiped so intensely by many, it doesn't make the man great but rather makes the many small." - Magick Monkey (Made in regard to the reaction of North Korea to the death of Kim Jong-Il, but generally applicable in other contexts)

• 2 weeks later...

"Sex without pain is like food without taste." ~ The Marquis de Sade

"Allow me to be frank at the commencement. You will not like me. The gentlemen will be envious and the ladies will be repelled. You will not like me now and you will like me a good deal less as we go on. Ladies, an announcement: I am up for it, all the time. That is not a boast or an opinion, it is bone hard medical fact. I put it round you know. And you will watch me putting it round and sigh for it. Don't. It is a deal of trouble for you and you are better off watching and drawing your conclusions from a distance than you would be if I got my tarse up your petticoats. Gentlemen. Do not despair, I am up for that as well. And the same warning applies. Still your cheesy erections till I have had my say. But later when you shag - and later you will shag, I shall expect it of you and I will know if you have let me down - I wish you to shag with my homuncular image rattling in your gonads. Feel how it was for me, how it is for me and ponder. 'Was that shudder the same shudder he sensed? Did he know something more profound? Or is there some wall of wretchedness that we all batter with our heads at that shining, livelong moment. That is it. That is my prologue, nothing in rhyme, no protestations of modesty, you were not expecting that I hope. I am John Wilmot, Second Earl of Rochester and I do not want you to like me." John Wilmot

• 2 months later...

"Letters From Iceland" by; W.H. Auden

"Isn't it true however far we've wandered into our provinces of persecution, where our regrets accuse, we keep returning back to the common faith from which we've all dissented, back to the hands, the feet, the faces? Children are always there and take the hands, even when they are most terrified. Those in love cannot make up their minds to go or stay. Artist and doctor return most often. Only the mad will never, never come back. For doctors keep on worrying while away, in case their skill is suffering or deserted. Lovers have lived so long with giants and elves, they want belief again in their own size. And the artist prays ever so gently, let me find pure all that can happen. Only uniqueness is success. For instance let me perceive the images of history. All that I push away with doubt and travel, today's and yesterdays alike, like bodies."

• 2 months later...

"For me, it is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfy and reassuring." ~ Carl Sagan

"I felt a bit like a child, as though I was rediscovering the world. In particular, I remember a monthlong period in which I became flat-out fascinated with trees-- there was something beautiful about the way they branched out, cutting a tangled silhouette against the sky. I also became enthralled with sunsets, and to this day I still love watching sunsets. Everything seemed fresh and new. It was as if in my enthusiasm for the supernatural, I had overlooked all the beauty the natural world has to offer. Now I was playing catch-up, discovering all the neat stuff I'd missed. I also read dozens of science books during this time-- I decided it was time to find out how the universe really works, as I didn't want to ever be fooled again." ~ Rob Berry http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~slocks/quotes.html

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

-Philip K. Joystick

"The church says the earth is flat, but I know that it is round, for I have seen the shadow on the moon, and I have more faith in a shadow than in the church." ~ Ferdinand Magellan

" Truth does not demand belief. Scientist do not join hands every Sunday, singing, "yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up must come down, down, down. Amen!" If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it." ~ Dan Barker

"If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed." ~ Albert Einstein

"As people become more intelligent, they care less for preachers and more for teachers."~ Robert Ingersoll

• Like 2

Amor vincit omnia - Virgil

(Love conquers all)

The greatest thing ever to do for yourself is to live more gently - Anonymous

Cras amet qui numquam amavit quique amavit cras amet - Anonymous, Pervigilium Veneris

(Tomorrow he who loved, let him love and tomorrow he who never loved, let him love)

Sometimes it's not the pants which itches, it's the conscience that actually itches - An ancient Kiwi proverb.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The father of the religion for almost half the planet's population has either the moral equivalent or mental health equivalent of child murder Andrea Yates. Take your pick.

Praying solves problems? That is as believable as circumcision curing masturbation. ~~~Yours Truly. yellow.gif

Guest Valk0010

The only reason most of the world is alive today is because others were previously too lazy to either wear a rubber or use the big coat hanger.

Big coat hanger?

Remember kids! "I'll pray for you" sounds classier than "Fuck you, and the horse you rode in on."

The Virgin Mary. Epitomizing the phrase "lying whore" since 35 BC.

“I think the devil doesn't exist, but man has created him, he has created him in his own image and likeness.”

Fyodor Dostoyevsky

“What is a poet? An unhappy man who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music.... And people flock around the poet and say: 'Sing again soon' - that is, 'May new sufferings torment your soul but your lips be fashioned as before, for the cry would only frighten us, but the music, that is blissful.”

Søren Kierkegaard

• 1 month later...

Adam and Eve's sons and daughter did indeed sleep with each other, as that was the only way to procreate, however, we find in the bible that incest is a sin, let alone, seeing a close relative naked. Therefore, we find a clear contradiction, that is irrefutable.

• Like 1

Ask yourself, can a "holy" god kill thousands of children, and still maintain his holiness? Absolutely not, but we find that the bible does attempt to, and that is a clear contradiction. The bible-god not only killed all the first born of Egypt, but he did it deliberately. In Exodus we find that god wants pharaoh to release his people, and though he was ready to do so, god hardens pharaoh's heart, and then proceeds to kill all their male first born.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

“Man has received direct from God only one instrument wherewith to know himself and to know his relation to the universe--he has no other--and that instrument is reason.” - Leo Tolstoi

“Reason obeys itself; and ignorance submits to whatever is dictated to it.” - Thomas Payne

“ Domina omnium et regina ratio (Reason is the mistress and queen of all things).” - Cicero

"You do not question what you believe; you cannot. I must." - Hypatia, "Agora"

"The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion." - Albert Camusi

“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson

And of course, an excerpt of my favorite quote is actually tattooed on my wrist. "Esse quam videri," which means "to be, rather than seem (to be)"

The entire passage is taken from Cicero's Lalieus de Amicita (Lalieus on Friendship) and reads: "Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt" or "Few are those who wish to be virtuous (some translations say "to be endowed with virture) rather than to seem so."

tattoo_zps2d79a956.jpg

• 1 month later...

The thing we should be really afraid of, is that there is no conspiricy. -Me

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Thousands of children die of starvation every single days. Any god that would allow such a thing, deserves absolute contempt.

• Like 1

"Why does faith healing have the same success rate as the placebo?" - Me

"Why do people put more effort into proving their belief in God than God puts into proving his existence?" - Me

"So hell is like, our punishment for God's failure to exist biggrin.png " - Me

"God needs you to pray to him every day to remind him that he exists because sometimes, even He has doubts" - Me

"Praying for your life is a lot like playing a game of Russian Roulette" - Me

"Prayer has shaped the whole of humanity all throughout the World, spreading the Holy power of disappointment for 6 thousand years and running!" - Me

"Paradox: Why does God warn us of an Apocalypse he says we will never expect or be prepared for?" - Me

• Like 1