Goodbye Jesus

I Think I Have Azpergers

lostman42

@ noggy

In a few months my best friend will turn 18 and then me and him both are gonna try to get an apartment together. I look forward to being on my own very much.

Yeah. It's the best. High School is the worst time of your life. Because you're old enough to make your own decisions but society tells you to STFU and obey the same rules you had when you were 6.

Some high school students are "old enough" (maturity is really the salient charcteristic here) to make their own decisions. Many are not. As a high school teacher, I have collected lots of data with regard to the decision-making prowess of the American teenager, and it's not a pretty picture.

Hmmm...I guess that's why home schooling students do better.... :grin:

You seem to be confused about causality. Homeschooled students do better because of high parental involvement and expectations, the same reason my children are doing well in public schools.

Hmmm...so high parental involvement is the real indicator...guess we don't really need a professional academic teaching ...LOL.... :HaHa:

You don't if you have a qualified, dedicated parent. Most kids don't, though, and that's where I come in.

Btw, people who have a high pressure hose and a nearby hydrant and nothing to do but stay at home all day don't need firefighters. There are very few indispensible professions if you lower the standards enough. I'm quite sure, for instance, that we could do without people who do...whatever the hell you do. :HaHa:

Asperger's is a trendy disorder these days. Everybody has it.

My wife works with kids who have asperger's- and she says that it's massively over-diagnosed. I know three people who are textbook cases of the disorder (a friend, a co-worker, and a professor)- and lemme tell you they are WEIRD. All three of them are very intelligent when it comes to technical matters- but they're all socially inept to the point that most people are quick to notice that there's something wrong with these guys.

Aspergers is a spectrum disorder meaning with some people it is very evident and others not quite as much.

Asperger's is a trendy disorder these days. Everybody has it.

My wife works with kids who have asperger's- and she says that it's massively over-diagnosed. I know three people who are textbook cases of the disorder (a friend, a co-worker, and a professor)- and lemme tell you they are WEIRD. All three of them are very intelligent when it comes to technical matters- but they're all socially inept to the point that most people are quick to notice that there's something wrong with these guys.

Interestingly I went to a seminar the other day and the over diagnosis of ADHD and Aspergers in particular was mentioned. This seminar was about FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome) and the symptoms of this tick all the boxes for the above but it is rarely diagnosed - the reason being generally that people don't like to admit they drank during pregnancy so it's never looked into as an option.

I am not sure that these conditions are 'over diagnosed' so much as just we are becomming more aware of it. I'd rather things like ADHA and aspergers be accepted as another kind of 'normal' rather than as a 'problem that needs to be diagnosed and fixed.' But that's by the by....

See a doctor is my recommendation, not that I can really talk - I scored 34 on that test a page back. I've come out of my shell a bit but I'm still nowhere near where I would like to be. In time I realized that if I didn't start making moves, there would be no moves made at all because not a lot of people initiate discussions with that weird guy by himself in the corner. I think in time, you'll open up as well. You just need to put yourself in those kinds of situations to help you grow.

I think my son might have aspergers. There is a really good quiz here:

http://www.rdos.net/eng/Aspie-quiz.php

My son scored high. He is a young adult and I would like to have him tested. I'm scared to too because I don't want them to tell me he doesn;t have it. :)

When I saw the test was 150 questions, I decided not to take it, but from the first few, I'm pretty sure my cat has it. :D

Do you misjudge how much time has passed when involved in interesting activities?

Do you mistake noises for voices?

Do you instinctively become frightened by the sound of a motor-bike?

Do you get confused by several verbal instructions at the same time?

• Like 1

I would go see a doctor. Since you don't know what you have, you don't know what a doctor can do, and even if it is aspergers, cognitive behavioral therapy can help some people to deal with things. It will also help you understand your situation better.

Do you think you have Asperger's? If you think you do, then you probably do.

That's really bad reasoning, especially if someone is a hypochondriac.

From what I've heard, introverts prefer to be alone but I desperately want to be with people.

Yes but mostly no. Introversion actually has nothing directly to do with how much you want meaningful relationships. It has to do with your definition of "meaningful relationship". It has to do with whether being with people at casual / non-intimate levels energizes or exhausts you.

I yearn for connection because I'm human and that need is part of the human condition. As is the difficulty of meeting the need. However I'm an introvert so I don't feel connected if I have 65 "friends" that I "hang out" with but who, in fact, lose zero sleep over how my life is going and would not give me a second thought if someone else bumped me off THEIR list of 65 people THEY consider friends but who are, in fact, nothing more than shallow acquaintances. And that is being charitable about it. In practice most of those 65 people are really "frenemies".

On the other hand, I feel connected if I have even one friend who gives a flying fuck about how I feel and what I need and opens themselves up to me caring about them in the same way. In general, no one has the time or energy for more than 2 or 3 such people in their lives, anyway, assuming they want to do the relationships any actual justice.

So get this fixed in your mind, despite all the fuzzy thinking out there about introversion vs extroversion -- it is NOT about whether or not you want friends, it is about where your energy flows from and to. An extrovert gets stir crazy without a constant swirl of others to feed off of. An introvert gets stir crazy if they can't get away from the constant swirl. But both need to be grounded in healthy, meaningful relationships. When they are ill-adapted and unaware, extroverts tend to ever more frantically chase more shallow "relationships" and introverts tend to withdraw and brood. Both need to bring awareness to their needs and find healthy relationships that meet their particular needs.