Goodbye Jesus

I Guess He Told Me...

NaturalMary63

It's been a while since I've posted anything.... I've missed you guys.... I've been extremely busy. But I just had this discussion on Facebook this morning and had to share it.

I've put the screenshot here as an attachment - I couldn't figure out how to just cut and paste it directly into this post. I've also uploaded it to my photo gallery.

I invite your comments.

M.

Facebook Discussion 2011-07-30 at 9.39.19 AM.jpg

hi Mary! good to hear from you!

Don't even get caught up in this..........It's a useless, same ole, same olé' argument and steals all your good energy.. .........

Save your good energy..........go do something really nice for yourself today!! :grin:

Debating a YEC is futile. Anyone that stupid to believe in a 6k old earth and a literal GoE lives in a very thick bubble.

Present them with stuff like SP ice core data that shows a 780k yo earth (so far still drilling) and they dismiss it and find some YEC apologetic that thinks it refutes it based on glacial ice data WW2 planes that sunk in the snow ay the NP etc. Tree rings, they find data of multiple rings in one season, Lake varves with pollen layers, they have an answer to that, obvious layers in places like the grand canyon, retreating ice carved it out...

The one the do not have any rebuttle for is the two active cave and oldest formations here in sunny SA and only because Kent Hovind and co have never been here. These caves are ±1.5Bn years old.

Another one they cannot refute is the Victoria Waterfall gorges est. 100k years old and they offer various erosion rates and lahars from volcanoes but the catchment area of the Zambezi river has no volcanoes nor has had any in the past.

Yay Africa...

I was born in Livingstone an the newest gorge being formed called the devils cataract is still where is was when I was 6. I am now 53.

Plus in South Africa, they cannot use their ice arguments as we have no land mass between us and the South pole.

Some pics you are free to use

Falls1.jpg

Gorges

falls.jpg

The circle is the Devil's Cataract, 1 is the current gorge and so on.

DevilsCataractWet1.jpg

Devils Cataract

DevilsCataractDry2.jpg

Dry Season water fall, only flowing via Devils Cataract

Hey Mary,+1 on the leave it alone vote---it ain't worthit-- as some say in Alabama.But it is fun to piss'em off sometimes. lol

We learned cool stuff like this in Junior School.

No use in discussing it further. Any scientific evidence you might present would be "a trick of the devil". Can't win this one.

That McCravey person sounds really insecure. Look at the voluminous "whistling in the dark" rant he launched prompted only by your "fictional" remark. His only comeback was a sermon and "i'm really right! You'll see!"

Perhaps I would point out that had this story been in any other context, people would assume it was a children's story or a fable. Why? Because serpents don't talk and women weren't fashioned from the side of a man.

But like the others have said. There is no convincing insecure fundies of this. They just devolve into the drivel that McCravey did.

You stated the facts succinctly and accurately and then moved on. That's the best way to handle it.

I would probably say something along the lines of:

"That's fine, you are entitled to your opinion. I am extremely confident that my point of view is correct as the evidence supports my position. However, if you are right and I am wrong, I guess I will end up burning in hell forever. OTOH, if the Muslims are right, both you and I will end up burning in Muslim hell forever. Both Islam and Christianity are not supported by the evidence but are based on ancient texts of dubious reliability, so each would seem to have an equal probability of being true. The same would hold true for any other religion. I will go with where the evidence leads, that seems to be the most logical thing to do. And if I am right and you are wrong, you have ended up wasting a bunch of time and money when you could have been doing something more productive."

Respectfully,

Franciscan Monkey

• Super Moderator

1. What everyone else said.

2. De-friend the a$$.

People like that (aka my relatives and almost everyone else I know in RL!) are why I'm not on facebook. Sometimes though, I think I'm missing out on some good stuff.

Ditto to everyone's response too.

I cannot remember who first said this but it went something like, 'debating creationists (or Christians if you want to substitute) is like playing chess with a pigeon, they knock the pieces over, crap on the board, and fly back to the roost and claim victory.' Christians always like knowing they are in the know about everything and feel superior when they believe they know more than someone else. Thinking like a two year old makes them believe they are intellectuals.

• Like 1

Ps: I'll send you a facebook friend request when I get back to that page.

Ugh! That frustrates me! I agree, best thing is to just withdraw and try to put it out of your head. I learned my lesson a while back on facebook, too. No winning, and just leads to a lot of frustration. I'm still in the phase where I'm angry and wish I could verbally engage every xian and other religious person every time they post up something like that on Facebook. Literally makes me angry when I read it... sometimes you just have no response, but you want to. For example, someone will post "I can do all things through Christ! (insert Bible verse) thank you GOD! =D . God is good, ALL THE TIME!" followed by 7 likes. Even assuming you were going to respond to that, what would you even say? :shrug:

I guess I'm just still trying to figure out how to deal with believers and come to peace with the anger that I have after my deconversion. I know these people don't mean ill, but seriously, they just reinforce each others' delusion.

The very fact that he could not use proper grammar just screams out his lack of intelligence, and whatever you say will just fly right over his head.

But if you want to have fun, you could just throw Pascal's Wager right back at him by invoking Hinduism. "What if we are both wrong and Brahman is the supreme god of the universe?" Of course, he'll just retort by saying he knows he's right and point to supposed miracles that support him, but you could throw Hindu miracles back at him. Sometimes, it's just fun to poke at them and watch them squirm.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Yeah, sometimes it IS fun to get the Xians riled up, but I wasn't going to go any further down that road with him. I knew you guys would understand.

Saving my good energy for good things. ;-)

Arguing with idiots is counter productive, if he has amble inteligence the debate can be fun but he dosnt sound very smart so i would just leave it at that.