Goodbye Jesus

We Are The Minority

Margee

• Super Moderator

Every minority had to unite, stand, and fight to gain equal rights and acceptance. Atheists, in large part, aren't willing to make the sacrifice.

Speaks to this thread quite well ...

How do you embed on this board, btw? None of the embed links on the youtube pages seem to work for me.

Every minority had to unite, stand, and fight to gain equal rights and acceptance. Atheists, in large part, aren't willing to make the sacrifice.

Not being snarky but legitimately asking your opinion, why do you think that is? Do you think it is time? For example, 40 years ago someone could legitimately fear for their life by being an out gay in certain parts of the US. Hell, everyone knows about Matthew Shepard and that was only 13 years ago he was killed. What "year" in terms of the homosexual rights movement would you place atheism/agnosticism? Do you think there are still parts of the country where a non-believer should reasonably fear for their life for being out? If you live in the Middle East the answer to this is obvious. Some might agrue that apathy for religion is growing enough on its own, for which it is a far more potent weapon than any force the atheist community could put forth.

• Super Moderator
Do you think it is time?

I'm not sure it will ever be time. It's too easy to hide atheism, and for some there are real repercussions that just don't seem worth it.

The majority of a minority need to get fed up and willing to pay the price before anything happens. That hasn't happened yet, but maybe it will if enough atheists get beat up or lose jobs.

Do you think it is time?

I'm not sure it will ever be time. It's too easy to hide atheism, and for some there are real repercussions that just don't seem worth it.

The majority of a minority need to get fed up and willing to pay the price before anything happens. That hasn't happened yet, but maybe it will if enough atheists get beat up or lose jobs.

As soon as we get "under god" out of the pledge we will be 100% okay!

Speaks to this thread quite well ...

How do you embed on this board, btw? None of the embed links on the youtube pages seem to work for me.

Copy the URL by right clicking on the video, and go to the top of the post and click the icon "insert media", then paste the URL.

I think you are right Florduh - how many of there that are still in the closet...including me??

I think you are right Florduh - how many of there that are still in the closet...including me??

In my opinion that’s because atheist are not united into a singular organization or identity of a people group. Yes though we identify our selves as atheist that doesn’t mean we identify ourselves under the same atheism, just as the Greek city states considered them selves Greek they weren’t really united into a set nation or empire. Though I don’t necessarily condone atheism turning into a “force” it would possibly help atheist get better treatment in the work place. I really don’t condone it because by us organizing into a force it puts pressure on the Christians making them feel threatened possibly causing even more conflict and giving them a reason to believe the world is attacking them (making them unite and snap back at other people groups). We should let Christianity die and wither away in a dark puddle of forgetfulness as people move on from a pointless faith. But if we are ever to stand up we must remember no single city state ever biult a empire solely on its own power but by a political unity with other city states (what ever means this was achieved).

Its easy to get people to fight for something they believe in.

Not so easy to get people to fight for something that they don't.

Thus atheists are reluctant to take on a fight.

Alternatively one can say that atheists are not defined by something that they are not whereas religion is all about defining ones life around ones religion.

• Super Moderator
In my opinion that’s because atheist are not united into a singular organization or identity of a people group.

Absolutely true. Atheism is not a religion or monolithic set of core beliefs with an agenda. We simply have, separately, found no reason to believe in the gods that others organize around. Unfortunately, the believers see the non-believers as an organized group that is out to destroy the fabric of society and wipe out religion. A bit of a dilemma. How do we educate and fight for our right to not believe without becoming the organized group with an agenda they think we are?

In my opinion that’s because atheist are not united into a singular organization or identity of a people group. Yes though we identify our selves as atheist that doesn’t mean we identify ourselves under the same atheism,

I thought atheism was atheism?? I am new at this. Are there different denominations of atheism? Maybe this is why I hear that an atheist doesn't like another atheist. For example: Dawkins or Hitchens........... I love them and yet, some don't.

So how can WE win at this..... to become a 'majority', without fighting one another within our own system of 'non-belief'???? :shrug:

• Super Moderator
Are there different denominations of atheism?

No, atheism is nothing more than having found insufficient evidence to believe in gods. Theists believe in a god, A-theists don't. Simple.

The differences among atheists is just personality and style. Some are obnoxious with an anti-theist stance and others just want to quietly be allowed to not believe. Some atheists give non-belief a bad name - Madeline Murray O'Hair, for example. She had an abrasive personality and thought it her mission to deconvert the world and eradicate any mention of gods anywhere. Dawkins takes the intellectual approach but is still disliked for constantly pointing out the logical inconsistencies of religion. Most of us just want people to recognize that there are differing opinions on the subject and we are as entitled to our opinion as anyone. The problem is, most believers have an incorrect view of atheism and fear it as an evil to be suppressed or eradicated.

So how can WE win at this..... to become a 'majority', without fighting one another within our own system of 'non-belief'???? :shrug:

I don't think we'll ever be the majority. But theists will become more and more liberal, and hopefully end up as Deists, Pantheists, or strict Agnostics. Atheists will no longer have to voice their objections to Christianity, Islam, or any other religion that is divisive and violent when this occurs. Disagreement between atheists stems from the differing ways of responding to the prejudices of believers.

In my opinion that’s because atheist are not united into a singular organization or identity of a people group. Yes though we identify our selves as atheist that doesn’t mean we identify ourselves under the same atheism,

I thought atheism was atheism?? I am new at this. Are there different denominations of atheism? Maybe this is why I hear that an atheist doesn't like another atheist. For example: Dawkins or Hitchens........... I love them and yet, some don't.

when i said this i ment atheist wernt part of a denomination not that they were part of many denominations.

we need to fight for our rights allways but never to actualy make a holy war agianst chrisitanity as that would end badly for every one. If things are on the trend that i have heard of evry one is leaving christianity though i have no idea if their going to atheism or another religion; we should become the "majority" soon enough if they are simply leaving religion all together. eductation i see is the best policy, if people are simply exposed to the truth and they are educated they will more than likley make their own inductive reasoning :shrug:

but Jihad sounds fun :fdevil: