Goodbye Jesus

Feeling Called Back To The Church

Outlaw393

However, and I don't know this for certain, you may believe that the Divine is something that can be found a variety of ways (whether that be Christianity, Wicca, Hinduism, etc), and its all just different aspects or ways to communicate with the Divine nature. In which case, I say props to you! Its possible there exists a driving force out there, but for any one religion to be able to be certain that they hold the truth is something that is seriously flawed.

Its an interesting thing trying to live a "spiritual" life, because spirituality and religion are so entwined, but yet so different.

I think you should be less concerned with being affiliated with a particular religion. You seem worried about what you call yourself. Why does it matter? The Christians certainly aren't 100% right about the nature of the divine. Neither are the Wiccans, nor the Buddhists, nor the Daoists. Putting a label on your spiritual walk seems to be more constricting than anything.

Yeah, I've heard this before too. I don't think anyone has 100% truth because I don't think it's humanly possible to know everything about the universe and exactly how it operates. You'd have to be...god. :P

The biggest thing I seem to need is fellowship. I have little if any support network, and so my church or whatever takes the role of this.

The people there - I know them, they know me. I've gained friends there.

I'm just not sure I can sit in a church where I disagree with many of it's major beliefs. The denomination I've been thinking of converting to is more traditional but probably as fundamentalist.

Seeking for me has been a lose/lose situation. Sometimes I wish I could've remained happily ignorant of other religions at a young age, instead of breaking free and researching them.

Yeah, I've heard this before too. I don't think anyone has 100% truth because I don't think it's humanly possible to know everything about the universe and exactly how it operates. You'd have to be...god. :P

The biggest thing I seem to need is fellowship. I have little if any support network, and so my church or whatever takes the role of this.

The people there - I know them, they know me. I've gained friends there.

I'm just not sure I can sit in a church where I disagree with many of it's major beliefs. The denomination I've been thinking of converting to is more traditional but probably as fundamentalist.

Seeking for me has been a lose/lose situation. Sometimes I wish I could've remained happily ignorant of other religions at a young age, instead of breaking free and researching them.

I assume you want the fellowship to HAVE to be about your religion? So we cant tell you to go take up a hobby, etc, and practice your religion on your own.

I think, given your options, your best bet is to get over the need for fellowship. It can be hard hoofing it alone, but have conversations with your friends. A lot of the time people can be really open to what you have to say, you might even find a partner. There may not be any official "churches" for you of the particular faith that interests you, but you certainly are not alone in your beliefs. Especially if they are wicca. Wicca tends to have its followers everywhere, the hard part is finding them.

Search the internet, its your tool. Start a church.

But don't go somewhere that is spouting lies just so you can have "fellowship". Thats akin to joining the Nazi's just because they're the only party in Germany.

However, and I don't know this for certain, you may believe that the Divine is something that can be found a variety of ways (whether that be Christianity, Wicca, Hinduism, etc), and its all just different aspects or ways to communicate with the Divine nature. In which case, I say props to you! Its possible there exists a driving force out there, but for any one religion to be able to be certain that they hold the truth is something that is seriously flawed.

Its an interesting thing trying to live a "spiritual" life, because spirituality and religion are so entwined, but yet so different.

I think you should be less concerned with being affiliated with a particular religion. You seem worried about what you call yourself. Why does it matter? The Christians certainly aren't 100% right about the nature of the divine. Neither are the Wiccans, nor the Buddhists, nor the Daoists. Putting a label on your spiritual walk seems to be more constricting than anything.

This is something for me I have an advantage with. Even though I've struggled with the idea of finding some sort of support group/home for myself in my views now, I have my partner who becomes my support. I live with a woman whom I'm able to freely express where I'm at in my thinking, in my heart, in struggles of the past in all this regards to finding that spiritual center within myself. It's not a 'church' per se, but it is still a peer who loves and respects and accepts me. And that is what I feel is vital to us as individuals to have that. I also have my mother when I go to visit her, which I am actually at this very moment during some days off work. I have freedom to express openly my heart in this regard which she herself finds value in, and it becomes a wonderful exchange of spirit in this way.

So it is important to have this. But where I sense your struggle is that it seems doubtful though that even if you can relate to those of that church socially, when it comes to something on that deep of a personal level there will be a disconnect, because they are likely just beholden to a particular point of view from a doctrinal stance, and its not likely to move beyond it to connect to the personal struggle to relate to you in your own search. They don't have a search, they have the answer already and it's Jesus! Jesus!, etc. Kind of heartbreaking, I'm sure.

What then do you do? Like anything in life, you put yourself into a position as best you can to find a match for yourself. It can take time, and it may not take a form you think. Be open, be sincere. Listen to your heart. Be patient, be at peace. Find comfort in yourself. When you find that support to where you actually need it to be, then you'll give yourself the permission to fully blossom.

Meetup.com I'd say. Find people who are into whatever you want in your general area.

Wouldn't it be easier to just rely on yourself though? "Fellowship" (that word sounds REALLY cultish to me) just seems like a set-up for failure. Like any relationship potentially.... Except these relationships would be forged on lies. And you can't even be true to church members if you don't play their game. What kind of hollow 'ship' of any kind is that?

I also am still curious as to how you reconcile anything in the bible with reality. You are a woman, yes? Does the blatent sexist, abusive husband nature of Yahweh not offend you? Does the bible being written by primitive - probably asshole - men not irk you? If only some of it is true, which parts? Why does it have anything to do with spirituality? Because it contains magic stories?

You say you can't sit in a church because you can't agree with lots of things they'll believe. Nevermind where they get off on what they believe. Where do you get it from? Will you ever find anyone who just picks and chooses the same things as you? Why do you pick what you do?

Post in the Ex-Christian Spirituality forum if you want people to support feel-good mythology; there, they are prohibited from steering you toward reality, as I learned to my chagrin. There you will find lots of nice pagans and wiccans and who-knows-what-else.

This is idiotic. :(

Besides being inaccurate and offensive, it's ridiculous. "Steering you toward reality"? Sounds exactly like "Bringing you into the Truth", from someone preaching the Gospel. :)

I don't think you're quite in reality as much as you assume. Next time, humble it down at bit there. It will suit you better.

Honestly instead of converting to yet another denomination it would be easier to just stay Wiccan. But then I'd be at square one once again because there are no pagan groups around here. I'd be alone. And being alone sucks and really isn't a real option.

But who am I kidding. Real honesty? I'm not sure what to call myself right now.

What a breath of fresh air your honesty is!

Maybe you can cast some friend spells on some people? :poke:

Just jushing with ya. I gave you a +1 for such power and vulnerability as you have demonstrated here.

• Like 1

Well much to the chagrin of many people I am still here. But I am fed up with people who think the general public should tolerate them when they clearly won't tolerate anyone but themselves or people like them.

Anything militant - and yes, that includes atheists - are as fundamentalist as the "fundies" they claim to despise.

"Tolerate or you won't be tolerated." Sounds fitting, really. I read up on many atheist sources and what not and most of them said to tolerate religions, even if you didn't agree with it. I tolerate other religions, for example. I'm certainly no fundamentalist. Calling me such just shows you know nothing about me. It's quite hypocritical to demand tolerance when you show none for your fellow man. Or maybe it's just the atheists on the internet, I certainly have yet to meet one in real life like this. In a matter of fact most of my friends are atheist and agnostic. Regarding being "trollish", spouting hate filled rants in big letters is trollish. Asking the community for an honest answer isn't. And besides, I enjoy discussions like this, assuming they don't turn into flame wars filled with prejudice, intolerance, or plain disrespect.

--------------------------------------------------------------->

Back to the topic at hand - I went back last night. Surprisingly I am not looking at staying. If I choose to remain christian I will be leaving the pentecostal church. "Liberal christianity" isn't an option. There is no such thing around here where I live.

Honestly instead of converting to yet another denomination it would be easier to just stay Wiccan. But then I'd be at square one once again because there are no pagan groups around here. I'd be alone. And being alone sucks and really isn't a real option.

But who am I kidding. Real honesty? I'm not sure what to call myself right now.

I am an ex-Christian, but not an atheist. You may have gathered that I despise Christianity (and for good reason, in my opinion), but I am in the same boat as you are as far as being alone with my spirituality. What makes sense to me comes from Eastern religion. I don't know or care if the gods actually exist or not as I am agnostic in that respect, but I do like the ideas found in Hinduism and Buddhism. I have no "fellowship" to go to either and when I do actively practice my spiritual beliefs, I do so alone. I tried to start a group on meetup.com and I'm disappointed to say that it failed spectacularly. I thought surely there would be other folks in the Anchorage area who shared my beliefs or something similar to them. Evidently not. :shrug: The blog I started to try to create some community online didn't fare well either. Got tired of hearing the crickets chirping and gave up on it. :(

I'm not comfortable changing my beliefs (which would be very hard to do anyway) or with involving myself with a group I disagree with just so I can be around people in a social setting, so I go it alone though I wish it could be otherwise.

You are not alone in feeling alone with your beliefs or with feeling like that reality sucks.

You are not alone in feeling alone with your beliefs or with feeling like that reality sucks.

I agree, it sucks. I really hope new people will keep sharing how they feel here and not be discouraged by those who think they're so much better than everyone else. Until there are support groups for recovering fundamentalists, this is the only place I know of to talk about this stuff. Just because it's call ex-Christian doesn't mean you have to be perfectly deconverted. Just sharing your fears and doubts about leaving fundamentalism is a big step.

• Like 1

Besides being inaccurate and offensive, it's ridiculous. "Steering you toward reality"? Sounds exactly like "Bringing you into the Truth", from someone preaching the Gospel. :)

I don't think you're quite in reality as much as you assume. Next time, humble it down at bit there. It will suit you better.

It's my opinion. You don't have to like it, and frankly I don't care. Reality is not quite the same thing as the Truth, is it? Capital T truth implies subjectivity disguised as objectivity. I make no bones about the fact that it is my OPINION that spirituality is bunk.

• Like 4

It's my opinion. You don't have to like it, and frankly I don't care. Reality is not quite the same thing as the Truth, is it? Capital T truth implies subjectivity disguised as objectivity. I make no bones about the fact that it is my OPINION that spirituality is bunk.

I share that opinion. I don't broadcast it much because I don't want to get into useless, non-ending arguments with wanna-be shamans (some of whom are anything but "humble," IMHO) and I stay out of the spirituality forum. Nothing that interests me there.

• Like 2

I had a lapse and went back. Now I've snapped out of it, hope it lasts. My family and boyfriend thinks I'm nuts. I believe in Jesus but I dont' believe how they do and that's how I get back in.

I wish they talked about character as important to get into heaven. Instead they play word games, and when they do talk about character its to harm people and hurt them. Its not real wisdom. They should

also accept other poeple that do good things.

• Super Moderator

I share that opinion. I don't broadcast it much because I don't want to get into useless, non-ending arguments with wanna-be shamans (some of whom are anything but "humble," IMHO) and I stay out of the spirituality forum. Nothing that interests me there.

Me too.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Me too.

Sweet! It's the rational backlash!

I notice you left out what you said originally which I was responding to that I considered idiotic. I'll add it back in here:

Post in the Ex-Christian Spirituality forum if you want people to support feel-good mythology; there, they are prohibited from steering you toward reality, as I learned to my chagrin. There you will find lots of nice pagans and wiccans and who-knows-what-else.

You certainly are entitled to your opinions, which they really aren't more than that anyway. It's the immature pouting and seeming to be compelled to have to mock others beliefs calling them "feel-good mythology" (huge ignorant gap in your knowledge there), plus falsely stating to the members of this site that you are 'prohibited' from participation in that forum because we of this site as moderators expected you to discuss respectfully, not insult by calling other beliefs not your own "bullshit", stupid, and other such unhelpful tripe. Now you mask it behind, "It's just my opinion," and play the victim.

I'd be happy to "steer you into reality" as you put it, but I think you may be too wrapped up in your own "feel-good mythology" to listen. You know the truth now, it seems. And yes they are your opinions. Those ignorant of science who think evolution is bunk and you are foolish to imagine we came from monkeys and like to laugh at your ignorance are working off their opinions too. I take your "opinions" to be functioning somewhat like that based on the manner in which you choose to offer them, which is much the same.

I'm disappointed in what passes for being called rational. To me someone who recognizes consciously the symbolic nature of things and the role they play in human experience of life, is far more engaging the rational mind in the practice of those things than those who simply mock.

I'm disappointed in what passes for being called rational. To me someone who recognizes consciously the symbolic nature of things and the role they play in human experience of life, is far more engaging the rational mind in the practice of those things than those who simply mock.

Yeah, I agree.

• Like 1

Yeah, I agree.

What's interesting about this is my partner. I think her IQ is at least 10 points higher than my own. Her knowledge level of pretty much everything is encyclopedic. She considers herself an atheist. Now here's the kicker. She also previously practiced Wicca. That's right. As a highly intelligent, rational, atheist. Why?, you ask? Why would someone who is that well read, knowledgeable, intelligent, and atheist do that?

Because of the power of ritual, the power of symbolism, the power of practice to visualize, to create and affect change psychologically because this world of symbolism is woven into our very evolution. It doesn't matter one tick that a particular god or goddess is *real* in any sort of scientific sense, because it is utterly beside the point of them.

That is only the tip of the iceberg in explaining why people choose gods, choose systems, choose groups. Of course, as she tells it to me there are always those who take the symbols very literally, as factually true, but you have and see that same thing with those who call themselves atheist. She considers herself atheist, but finds those like we experience who scoff and mock with their "opinion" to be pretty much on the same level of thinking as those who see the gods and fairies as factual. Both miss the greater point which transcends the literalness of them. Proving they aren't literal, is beneath the point. That's too easy, and ultimately boring.

Just jushing with ya. I gave you a +1 for such power and vulnerability as you have demonstrated here.

Why thank you. :)

I notice you left out what you said originally which I was responding to that I considered idiotic. I'll add it back in here:

You certainly are entitled to your opinions, which they really aren't more than that anyway. It's the immature pouting and seeming to be compelled to have to mock others beliefs calling them "feel-good mythology" (huge ignorant gap in your knowledge there), plus falsely stating to the members of this site that you are 'prohibited' from participation in that forum because we of this site as moderators expected you to discuss respectfully, not insult by calling other beliefs not your own "bullshit", stupid, and other such unhelpful tripe. Now you mask it behind, "It's just my opinion," and play the victim.

I'm surprised you bring this up. Anyone bothering to look at the thread in question will be struck much more by the vehemence of your incredibly immoderate response to my rather innocuous comment than anything else.

I call it feel-good mythology because that is how I feel about it.

I never suggested I was "prohibited from participation". I rightly stated that commenters are prohibited in that forum from steering one toward reality, i.e. away from mythologies that cannot be proved objectively. Those aren't quite the same thing, are they?

I don't think it is pouting to honestly relate an event and my own chagrin with regard to it. As you will recall, I took responsibility for my failure to read the forum rules before posting and did not complain of your treatment of me in the forum, choosing instead to address it privately with you.

I never called anyone's beliefs "bullshit" or "stupid". I said I thought spirituality was feel-good bunkum. Please don't paraphrase me if you can't do better than that.

In this forum, at least, non-Christian supernatural beliefs are no more sacrosanct than Christian beliefs, are they?

• Like 5

That is only the tip of the iceberg in explaining why people choose gods, choose systems, choose groups. Of course, as she tells it to me there are always those who take the symbols very literally, as factually true, but you have and see that same thing with those who call themselves atheist. She considers herself atheist, but finds those like we experience who scoff and mock with their "opinion" to be pretty much on the same level of thinking as those who see the gods and fairies as factual. Both miss the greater point which transcends the literalness of them. Proving they aren't literal, is beneath the point. That's too easy, and ultimately boring.

Yes, it isn't about "objective proof". That is not it at all. It is completely beside the point whether some miraculous event actually took place by supernatural means 2,000, 1,000 or 20 years ago, and lets analyze whether or not according to the scientific method this actually happened. Its about what impact these different mythologies can have on your life and how your view of the world can change. Dangers, sure, yes there are, especially starting to take some of this as a concrete literal view, identifying yourself with it, and so forth, but these have to be seen and understood as a person goes along.

Because of the power of ritual, the power of symbolism, the power of practice to visualize, to create and affect change psychologically because this world of symbolism is woven into our very evolution. It doesn't matter one tick that a particular god or goddess is *real* in any sort of scientific sense, because it is utterly beside the point of them.

Then why don't I give a flying fuck about symbolism or ritual or group approval or anything else that is apparently woven into my evolution? I believe I am in fact incapable of worshipping anything or anyone. How can you say that this stuff applies to everyone?

• Like 1

Why thank you. :)

I don't need gods of any kind, and I don't know why anyone does. I WANTED god to be there because he seemed pure while everything else seemed corrupt, but that was a decision I made as a child. We all have to grow up at some point and see what is THERE, as opposed to what we want to see. Well we dont have to, squllions of adults never bother, but truly if your integrity is at all important to you, how can you not?

I don't trust people in groups at all, least of all christians. They will turn on each other and rip each other apart with more venom and hatred than any pack of hyenas. I have learned after 36 years as a christian that the ONLY difference between christians (or any other adherents to abrahamic based faith systems) and everyone else is the fact they really are more arrogant and judgemental than people who don't have the same faith systems. If you don't believe me, try doing something they REALLY disagree with :)

I hope you find some peace mate.

Then why don't I give a flying fuck about symbolism or ritual or group approval or anything else that is apparently woven into my evolution? I believe I am in fact incapable of worshipping anything or anyone. How can you say that this stuff applies to everyone?

Only an ex-christian would lash out at somebody talking about symbolism and ritual, and then use the word "worship" and think they are talking about the same thing.

Christians and ex-christians who come only from that worldview automatically thinks spirituality and religion always imply "worship". There is such a thing as being in tune with the rituals, symbolism, and culture of the world around you. In no way shape or form is that "worship".

Only an ex-christian would lash out at somebody talking about symbolism and ritual, and then use the word "worship" and think they are talking about the same thing.

Christians and ex-christians who come only from that worldview automatically thinks spirituality and religion always imply "worship". There is such a thing as being in tune with the rituals, symbolism, and culture of the world around you. In no way shape or form is that "worship".

You think that was lashing out? Don't know me very then do you young noggy. Further, I can't imagine why anyone would lash out at Antler. What I am saying is that none of it has had any meaning for me on either a religious or even a cultural basis. I think it is all a waste of time, but I don't expect others to feel the same way, neither do I have issue with anyone who does feel differently. And FSM forbid I should ever be in touch with this fucked up culture :)

For example, I hate funerals, I think they are stupid. Sitting in a group with snot running down my chin sobbing like an idiot is not my idea of saying goodbye, of getting some kind of "closure". I think it is a stupid cultural practice that people think they "have" to do because they have been taught "this is what you do when someone dies". I don't want to do it, I don't see the point of it and I would hope that the dead person knew how much I loved them. Why do I have to prove that to the still living by turning up to something that makes me feel worse?

What I object to, and often wonder about is why things are applied to humans en masse, like every single one of us think exactly the same way, or that evolution in some way dictates that we will.

You think that was lashing out? Don't know me very then do you young noggy. Further, I can't imagine why anyone would lash out at Antler. What I am saying is that none of it has had any meaning for me on either a religious or even a cultural basis. I think it is all a waste of time, but I don't expect others to feel the same way, neither do I have issue with anyone who does feel differently. And FSM forbid I should ever be in touch with this fucked up culture :)

For example, I hate funerals, I think they are stupid. Sitting in a group with snot running down my chin sobbing like an idiot is not my idea of saying goodbye, of getting some kind of "closure". I think it is a stupid cultural practice that people think they "have" to do because they have been taught "this is what you do when someone dies". I don't want to do it, I don't see the point of it and I would hope that the dead person knew how much I loved them. Why do I have to prove that to the still living by turning up to something that makes me feel worse?

What I object to, and often wonder about is why things are applied to humans en masse, like every single one of us think exactly the same way, or that evolution in some way dictates that we will.

Wait, what is "it"?

Wait, what is "it"?

RItuals, symbols, outmoded outdated cultural practices and just about anything else that has outlived its useby date but we still keep just because we have always done it that way :)

I can't imagine feeling closer to god or whatever it is that people get from sitting amongst stained glass windows, or listening to liturgy or lighting candles or having altars or any of that stuff that people do.