Goodbye Jesus

Another Great One From Science Channel

stryper

I watched it last night...I thought it was pretty well done. I was hoping they/he would go a little more in depth though I really did enjoy some of the metaphors he utilized such as creating a hill/digging a hole simultaneously (positive energy vs. negative energy). I thought all in all it was pretty informative especially for people who may be new to this stuff.

I watched it last night...I thought it was pretty well done. I was hoping they/he would go a little more in depth though I really did enjoy some of the metaphors he utilized such as creating a hill/digging a hole simultaneously (positive energy vs. negative energy). I thought all in all it was pretty informative especially for people who may be new to this stuff.

I watched it as well.

I think it could have been two hours long and still not covered enough information.

I also thought the Dr. of theology that followed seemed smug and condescending.

ISTL

I watched it as well.

I think it could have been two hours long and still not covered enough information.

I also thought the Dr. of theology that followed seemed smug and condescending.

Oh, it definitely could have been much longer but I'm sure they had to "dumb" down some of the material. I didn't even watch the follow up episode since I saw there was a "Dr." of theology present.

I wanted to see this, but I don't get the Science channel anymore after downgrading to the family package on satellite to save money (which sucks). Thanks for sharing it here Stryper!

I watched the main show but only saw a part of the follow-up discussion group thing. I'm glad they only invited xians to the after party since they're all that matter, right? It's also nice that they all kindly backed away from the main shows position that there was no god to the position of there may well be some sort of a god but it just sat around picking its ass all day and not bothering with anything until we die then it loves our dead selves all the time (quite contrary to the bible teaching that YHWH is the god of the living and not the dead of course). Lame attempt to cover their assess from the part I saw.

mwc

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Augh, I wished I could have watched it, but I was on a camping trip that was a prior and bigger obligation. So I missed it.

What did the show say definitively on God creating the universe and was it good? Anyone willing to give me a quick summary? EDIT: btw, the youtube link no longer works. :(

I already figured that it being Stephen Hawkings, who is very much openly atheist/agnostic, it said "Nope. There is no God."

Augh, I wished I could have watched it, but I was on a camping trip that was a prior and bigger obligation. So I missed it.

What did the show say definitively on God creating the universe and was it good? Anyone willing to give me a quick summary? EDIT: btw, the youtube link no longer works. :(

I already figured that it being Stephen Hawkings, who is very much openly atheist/agnostic, it said "Nope. There is no God."

The youtube account holder definitely ripped the show right off of Discovery and most likely didn't have permission to. So they had to take it down due to copy write. Hawking pretty much said "I believe that we can explain things without the need for a god" and then went from there to explain some things about the universe and such.

I kinda wish I could find the newer episodes somewhere on the interwebs.

The main show used a lot of examples to make what would normally be complex ideas understandable. So it wasn't a "sciencey" show in many ways but something that a larger audience could (or hopefully could) understand without any problems. It was narrated by Hawkings all the way through but in parts of the show it was him and his "robot" voice and the rest was a narrator reading his words (so a regular voice).

He basically took the "god of gaps" argument and started filling in the gaps. He went back a ways then came up to "present" as far as how the universe could come to exist without a god using the modern understanding of things. A I recall he didn't say there was no god but he said that the universe did not require a god to create it or for it to exist. A minor distinction to be sure but he ruled out some creator god(s) while leaving the tiniest (and it seemed like the tiniest) bit of room for some other definition of a god if one was so inclined. I think he also ruled out a "heaven" and the like but I may be misremembering things.

It was pretty definitive as far as the topic went (which was can science explain the universe without a god, including something from nothing, and not do anything we might call gods exist at all).

mwc

I checked on on http://curiosity.dis...earch?query=god

There are 2 min segments of the show on one of the links. Don't think they have the whole episode up. :(

As of 8/27/11,

is the episode in it's entirety on Youtube.