Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

I find it hilarious that he talks about people taking their beliefs to the extreme, then goes on a preaching Tirade. I guess he really 'showed me'!

If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it. Happy moments, Praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Ugh! Debating whether or not to defriend this one. Probably will.

My facebook is a treasure trove. Check this one:

If you don't know the difference between religion and relationship in the End you will know the difference between HEAVEN and HELL...

I've started it now! I couldn't help but reply:

If there were a God, which I highly doubt, I hope that it would be decent enough to understand those with doubts. If a benevolent deity chooses to send me to hell for no good reason, then it is not benevolent. I base my life on reason not fear and dogma.

I'm awaiting the unfriend button. :Wendywhatever:

• Like 3

Sometimes I hope they'll hit the unfriend button. But I know they keep me around because they want their lives to "be a light" to me. LOL. I keep them around because I'm not going to let them play the victim to their churchy friends because I was a terrible mean atheist who unfriended them.

I should have kept my mouth shut. Now I have a gaggle of them praying for me. :ugh:

I should have kept my mouth shut. Now I have a gaggle of them praying for me. :ugh:

I'd have some fun with them:

f5952d39-0c63-437d-8da7-d2feee28c816.jpg

I'd have some fun with them:

f5952d39-0c63-437d-8da7-d2feee28c816.jpg

That is too cute!

Another F/B gem that I mined today - posted because of everyone upset with the news feed changes.

If people were half as concerned about their final destination as they were about a small change to Facebook, our churches would be full to overflowing tonight.

Another forum I hang around on calls that a "Jesus Juke." Whenever you're having a normal conversation and then someone jumps in with, "Well, if people loved Jesus half as much as X, then think of how much better the world would be." The phrase originated here.

Another forum I hang around on calls that a "Jesus Juke." Whenever you're having a normal conversation and then someone jumps in with, "Well, if people loved Jesus half as much as X, then think of how much better the world would be." The phrase originated here.

Did you see this in the comments below the article?

Disciples: Hey Jesus we found some food; you should eat.

"Jesus said to them, 'My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to accomplish his work'" John 4:34

Jesus-juked by Jesus himself!

lmao_99.gif

Had an old high school classmate post the following this morning:

So often we look at God and say "Why are you letting so many bad things happen?" and God replies "Why are you letting them happen?"

I guess God likes to blame the victim, too. Ironically, even with this feeble attempt to excuse the problem of evil, a non-theist could agree in part that the responsibility to resolve human problems is a human burden, not a deity's.:scratch: Could make for an interesting discussion.

Oh that one gets to me. I have two cousins that were born with cystic fibrosis, a fatal genetic illness. There's no cure. It's like a kick in the teeth every time someone says that. It's like they aren't thinking of the children that die from cancer, or are stillborn or have some kind of cognitive defect or malformation.

That's just disgusting. But yes, horrifically quite a common statement you might hear in Christian circles, I can remember hearing similar things. One is something often preached by the director of Prayer at one of the largest churches in London. He has apparently had a really tough life, especially with prayer at the centre of it. I didn't know him personally, though I did meet him once, but I think the story is he prayed for many years for his wife who was suffering from a painful terminal condition and then she died quite young. I suspect this is one of the reasons he has been chosen in that position because it shows how you can still have faith and believe that prayer works despite awful things happening to you. He says things like: "Maybe instead of asking God why he doesn't answer prayer more often we should be asking the question why don't we pray more often?" It's a classic way of deflecting criticism from the boss while at the same time heaping guilt on the person who is already suffering and now not getting any answers from the one person who is supposed to be in control.

• Like 1

I get sent fun stuff sometimes, still, about "Keep God in Public Schools." I am always like: "..No."

This stuff makes me want to puke. I have several family members on Facebook who post religious garbage. :49:I read a little of the post to see where it is going. If it is religious, I hide the post. I wish I could unfriend everyone who is doing this.

one from my FB tonight:

"In what ways are you praising God for His amazing grace today?"

one from my FB tonight:

"In what ways are you praising God for His amazing grace today?"

Maybe spray painting Jesus Loves You on some of the unattended cars in the church parking lot on Sunday? haha. j/k

• Like 3

I typically ignore what my Christian friends' post on scriptures and what not, but couldn't stop myself yesterday. Here's a post one of my high school classmates made yesterday...(She added me to her friend's list but neglected to read my info page which clearly states I'm an atheist):

"The belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason creating everything and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself for no reason what so ever into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs."

I didn't get into an argument with her but did let her know that I'm an atheist. The next poster after me wrote, "I'll be praying for you, Sandy". I let it go even though it sort of pissed me off. Then my classmate's brother posted:

In his latest book, noted physicist and cosmologist Stephen Hawking has proposed the whole universe began in a space so small that it was "in effect a single infinitesimally small, infinitesimally dense black hole." He says that the big bang occurred without a causal agent by necessity since nothing could have existed before the big bang which created time. He says that energy and space, the necessary ingredients for a universe, were created from nothing at the time of the big bang.

How much do you want to bet the same people who insist that everything including God requires a causal agent will embrace Hawking’s theory that the big bang had no causal agent? ; )

To which I responded:

The Grand Design came out in 2010, not all scientists agree with Mr. Hawking's theory, neither do all atheists, agnostics, etc. My view is that we'll never know because the universe is huge and complex and we just don't have the technology to figure it all out--maybe we never will. I'm fine with not knowing how the universe came to be because it plays no part in my life in the here and now.

I don't know how things will play out from here. My guess is that her brother or other friends will have something to say.

Aw, I don't see an edit option. I wanted to add that while the one woman saying she was going to "pray for me" pissed me off, not all "pray for you" comments do. For instance, my Grandma is extremely sick and in excruciating pain; she wants to die and does not want to go to the doctor or hospital because she's tired of being poked and prodded. I'm not going to take offense to someone who knows I'm an unbeliever saying that they'll be praying for me and/or my Grandma and family--all of them Christians. KWIM? To me, they're just being genuinely supportive. No different than when someone is asking for prayers and I pop in and say, "You are in my thoughts" or "I'm hoping the best for you".

I will say this though, that she and my Grandfather have lived with tremendous pain for decades, only strengthens my disbelief. They are kind, giving, loving people of the Christian faith who've suffered over half their lives--the God they believe in and cling to hasn't done shit to help.

Another F/B gem that I mined today - posted because of everyone upset with the news feed changes.

If people were half as concerned about their final destination as they were about a small change to Facebook, our churches would be full to overflowing tonight.

They're already "full to overflowing" — with rancid BS.

• Like 1

I saw this one today in my news feed from a good friend...

A little girl wanted to know what the United States looked like. Her Dad tore a map of the USA from a magazine and then cut it into small pieces. He told her to go to her room to see if she could put it together. After some minutes she returned and handed the map correctly fitted and taped together. The Dad was surprised and asked how she had finished so quickly. She said, "On the other side was a picture of Jesus and when I put him back then our country just came together."

Ugh. Do only Christians write in this "footprints in the sand" style?

How about this one...

"Ask not what ministry can do for you but what you can do for ministry!"

Oh yes, I know exactly what I can do for ministry! Volunteer ALL my free time and energy, never say "no" to ANY ministry oppurtunity and ALWAYS support every cause or preacher/missionary with my money (of course after tithing)! Oh and I must do all of this with all my heart because I am serving the Lawd!!! That comment really got to me.

Here is one I saw today: "While listening to a talk show with the topic of the unrest in New York and Europe , a young mother called in asking how she can protect her children during these trying times. The host said something that I thought I would never hear on a talk show. He advised her to read the bible to her children. Wow!"

I didn't know reading the bible protected one from harm. Why don't those silly New York cops carry bibles instead of guns? :)

• 2 weeks later...

This is actually from a friend of my aunt, but it was too stupid to not post it here. In reply to a picture of a tree that's been knocked down onto some power lines by over a foot of snow:

"I don't Donna this year is one for the history books things are kind of happening according to the Bible is is really scary to anyone who has read the book of Revelations, weather patterns changing, earthquakes, and more unusually frightening things. i hope it does not take that long because unlike last time [my edit: hurricane Irene] it is cold."

Ugh. Even most of my own religious friends don't even post anything this stupid. Why yes, snowstorms in October in New Jersey are straight from the Bible. Yup, I'm sure they are. I'll just have to find that verse.

• Like 2

How about this one...

"Ask not what ministry can do for you but what you can do for ministry!"

Oh yes, I know exactly what I can do for ministry! Volunteer ALL my free time and energy, never say "no" to ANY ministry oppurtunity and ALWAYS support every cause or preacher/missionary with my money (of course after tithing)! Oh and I must do all of this with all my heart because I am serving the Lawd!!! That comment really got to me.

Remember the Ministry of Love cares for you.