Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

It's such a strange image, isn't it?  Basically the only acceptable martyr's image.

No one would carve a sand image of Dr King being shot, with a message, "thank you Martin".

Well said and an interesting point. I don't know how y'all look at MLK across the pond, but if someone actually did that, I think it'd touch off a race riot. I'm white and even I think that'd be hugely disrespectful and morbid and weird and hugely open to misinterpretation. Portraying someone like MLK like that doesn't even occur to people--if MLK is represented in art, it's almost always a portrait of him in life, speaking and being awesome. We don't represent him dead. But apparently a crucified Jesus is A-OK! The cognitive dissonance is just staggering.

I'm not really a believer in "the good old days," but this is the best post that I have seen from a fundy friend on FB:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=550154135009477&set=vb.100000446875683&type=2&theater

The past always looks better because, well there's nothing you need to do about it and you already know what happened. The present is scary because you're living in it right now... you have to deal with it.... and you dont know the outcome, which can be scary.

It's such a strange image, isn't it?  Basically the only acceptable martyr's image.

No one would carve a sand image of Dr King being shot, with a message, "thank you Martin".

Well said and an interesting point. I don't know how y'all look at MLK across the pond, but if someone actually did that, I think it'd touch off a race riot. I'm white and even I think that'd be hugely disrespectful and morbid and weird and hugely open to misinterpretation. Portraying someone like MLK like that doesn't even occur to people--if MLK is represented in art, it's almost always a portrait of him in life, speaking and being awesome. We don't represent him dead. But apparently a crucified Jesus is A-OK! The cognitive dissonance is just staggering.

The Pentecostals I knew always hated that the Catholics tended to depict Christ on the cross in their churches. "But he's not on the cross anymore! He is risen and is now in heaven!" they would whine.

• Like 2

LOVED that link! Thanks, TF! I still remember reading about a black man who asked, "Who were these 'good old days' good for, exactly?" with the clear implication that there were vast swathes of people who certainly did NOT find those days very good: women, minorities, the childfree, non-Christians, GLBTQA people, you name it. Pretty much the only people who really think they would love those "good old days" back are people who are either straight (or closeted) white religious cis-men or those who buy into that group's dominance.

Republicans and conservatives and fundie Christians (a group with huge overlaps) pine and wish for these "good old days," but that just shows how ignorant they are of how awful those days were for so many people. It's chilling how little such people understand about just what they're pining for, just what the effects would be of getting what they want.

That said, wow that's an awesome speech. Did anybody else notice the awesome dude behind Sorority Girl laughing his rear end off midway through the clip?

The Pentecostals I knew always hated that the Catholics tended to depict Christ on the cross in their churches. "But he's not on the cross anymore! He is risen and is now in heaven!" they would whine.

That's what my Pentecostal group said too. Being ex-Catholic and from an extended family full of priests and nuns, I didn't have the heart to tell them why Catholics get so hung up on the crucified image.
  • Like 1

Near me there is a Catholic church.  Outside, there is a ten-foot crucifix with a three-foot Jesus hanging up on the cross.  When I was a child, I remember it was just a dark metal colour, cast iron or something like that.

About ten years ago, the church decided to paint it.  The colour scheme?

White Jesus.  Pasty white in fact.  Englishman white, essentially.

But more importantly - no blood!

Why do we not tend to see blood on the crucifix images?

Perhaps the idea of Jesus being viscerally portrayed as subject to messy, bloody torture is too sickening for Christians to comprehend.  ... as though seeing a human nailed to a cross isn't sickening to begin with.

I want to put one up in response to that, TrueFreedom:

Bible:

A rabbit chews its cud

Science Then:

WTF, Bible?

Science Now:

WTF, Bible?

From a facebook post:

Hey everyone! Had a great show in XXXXXX tonight. But somewhere between there and the Travelodge misplaced my phone. Please could you say a quick prayer I'd get it back? I'd love to get it back :-)

What typical bullshit.

Why do Christians think God is going to find their phone for them, if he does shit to stop, oh I don't know - AIDS.

• Like 2

Bible:

A rabbit chews its cud

Science Then:

WTF, Bible?

Science Now:

WTF, Bible?

It's tempting to list a few of those.  No telling who it could out me to though...

That's what my Pentecostal group said too. Being ex-Catholic and from an extended family full of priests and nuns, I didn't have the heart to tell them why Catholics get so hung up on the crucified image.

It's not only Pentacostals who hold that view. I heard the same thing in an Evangelical Methodist church.

Okay, I'm a little slow. I just got this joke now. Assuming it was a joke, that is.

Bible:

A rabbit chews its cud

Science Then:

WTF, Bible?

Science Now:

WTF, Bible?

It's tempting to list a few of those.  No telling who it could out me to though...

Bible: The firmament of heavens is a physical "roof" on top of the earth.

Science Then: Let's question things to determine possible answers.

Science Now: Let's question things to determine possible answers.

304213_10151392882521696_39608026_n.jpg

I hate the vapid, vacuous, treacly, (where's my thesaurus - I need more words) shallow, superficial, cliched sayings that pass for "inspiring wisdom"So how does this apply to those who have had a spouse, a child, their health, etc., - taken away??

I used to believe shit like this and then I had to watch my son die slowly over 7 days.

I hate the vapid, vacuous, treacly, (where's my thesaurus - I need more words) shallow, superficial, cliched sayings that pass for "inspiring wisdom"So how does this apply to those who have had a spouse, a child, their health, etc., - taken away??

I used to believe shit like this and then I had to watch my son die slowly over 7 days.

Words like those are supposed to diminish the pains of grief, so that you won't blame the god.   But they could only repress it, when it should be felt.

And when you can't repress it, then you would take the blame for not accepting the words, and the so-called love of the god. 

I'm not sure if I've been adequate in what I am trying to say.

I sympathise with you, SK.   I understand.   (((HUGS)))  

Oh my gosh I'm so sorry to hear that. Holy shit. My condolences. I hope you're doing better now. I can definitely see why glurge like that would get your blood boiling!
  • Like 2

So sorry

How completely heartbreaking. I'm so sorry

stupidfuckingchristians_zps59febfbd.jpg

Yes, because the supernatural creature that you believe controls an army of millions of demons, powerful enough to try to overtake the throne of who you believe to be the creator of the universe is scared of a dumbass christian in her nightgown waving her fucking bible.

• Like 7

A more accurate message, brought to you be SquareOne

Fruit For breakfast

• Like 1

How completely heartbreaking. I'm so sorry

Proof that Christian rhetoric is inhumane and abusive. I'm so sorry you experienced this. 

• Like 1

521699_10200517176282701_217337611_n.jpg

W6CF24J.jpg

• Like 3

521699_10200517176282701_217337611_n.jpg

Cause nothing says "Happy Valentine's Day" like hearts, flowers, a teddy bear, and a bleeding corpse.

• Like 9