Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

I don't get why anyone cares about the Royal Baby. Especially in the US.

I've been perfectly happy ignoring it, and I won't even know its name.

It's just so stupid and overblown.

I guess I'm just outside of the tabloid culture. I could give two shits about how many children Angelina and Brad have adopted, how bad a parenting decision Kanye naming his evil Kardashian spawn 'North' is, or whether Tom Cruise's daughter gave an obnoxious photographer the finger or not. [i only know any of that because everyone has to stand in line at the grocery store sometimes.]

It's not news. It's just a waste of printing ink, bandwith, and air time as far as I'm concerned.

What I don't get is how much the people who "don't care" want to rant and rave about how much they don't care.

¬¬

I might cautiously suggest that to us to the people in the UK, the birth of our future King is worth a bit of air time.  This person will wield considerable power and influence in the future.  What is more, the majority of people here like the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and they like the Queen, and so it's worth maybe a spot of news.  That's the angle for the broadcasters.

But may I also suggest that if you think anyone who takes an interest in the birth is some sort of royal fanatic, that is hardly accurate.  I've been at work today - no-one's talking about it.  It's like, "Oh, that's nice, very good - now back to my actual life."  We have a right to be mildly interested in something without someone then coming along and accusing us of being tabloid-frenzied masses.

But, from what I gather, it is much bigger news in the USA.  Which, seems a little bit strange to me.

It's because some of us get tired of being constantly bombarded with it and irritated that it replaces real news.

It's not that there's coverage of it, it's that there's an obnoxious amount of coverage about it.

If it was a cute segment on Good Morning America once or twice I'd probably be more like "Aw, that's cute. Don't care, but that's cute." Unfortunately, it's to the point where I've become more "Who gives a shit about some stupid celebrity spawn?" Because let's face reality, the Royal Family is a symbol and has very little political importance, if any. They are really nothing more than celebrities of tradition anymore.

First, the Zimmerman trial was on every news network all day long for an entire month. Seriously, you were hard pressed to find an hours worth of actual news on any given network when it was going on in a day. Now this. It's almost like the networks in the US are trying their hardest to avoid reporting any news for as long as possible. I get most of my news online anyway, but it's seriously irritating to turn on the television and find nothing but constant coverage of the least newsworthy story available.

Yeah, I kind of get why people in the Territories would care a little. Still, the Royal family doesn't have much power. They're just a symbol these days and are nothing more than figureheads and they don't actually rule anymore. Everyone knows the real power is the Parliament and the Prime Minister. They aren't really all that important to the future of the world or Britain. It's not that big a deal.

America has no excuse. There's no good reason for any American to give two shits about any royal baby. Certainly not on the level as the amount of space and time media coverage is giving it implies.

Sometimes I hear, 'Oh, America is was a British Colony'. More than two hundred years ago, and many areas of the country were also colonized by the Spaniards and French. It's not really a valid excuse. It's like saying I should care about political figures in Ireland and Italy. I don't and never have. There's no good reason for me to care. Just like there's no good reason for me to care about the royal baby. It's getting in the way of actual important news reporting and I'm sick of hearing about it.

I see it [and yes the over coverage of the Zimmerman trial as well] as either being a deliberate distraction to keep us ignorant of more important issues in our government, or yet another example about 'news' media being ratings whores rather than giving the slightest shit about reporting any actual news. Possibly even a bit of both.

You watch tv? Gaghhhh!

• Like 1

The stupid... it burns...

christians1.JPG

"Next time I will go into the theory that everyone is brainwashed." Hahahahahaha

For what it's worth - my prediction about a Christian on facebook doing a tie in between Jesus and the Baby Currently Known as 'Prince',  has come to pass.  A whole blog post indeed.  But she's a nice sensible girl, and she's not a fundie douche-bag, so I'll let it slide.

prince1309_468x466.jpg

Say what?

You watch tv? Gaghhhh!

No. I've got a small one tucked away in the closet for stuff like the Superbowl, but I don't even have one plugged in right now. The only screen plugged in at all in my home right now is a monitor for my computer that doesn't have a tuner in it.

Most of the local businesses keep televisions on though, banks, restaurants, and I spend a lot of time in the waiting rooms of various medical facilities. Usually it's two or three screens, one often showing ESPN, at least one is showing a "news" network [usually, but not always FOX], and occasionally another screen somewhere with whatever daytime talkshows happen to be on. So I'm exposed to a lot of television news because of that, even though I don't pay much attention to it as I have a Digital Pad to keep me busy. It's kind of hard to avoid not seeing any television news at all, and it's pretty clear most people are sick of having nothing on but the Zimmerman trial and the Royal Baby for so long now. Not to mention if I'm visiting family they often have the television on a news network. [Fox in the case of my Mother, and MSNBC in the case of my father. So I'm often exposed to both extremes of stupidity.]

I'm not exposed to it as much as a lot of other people and even I'm sick of it all.

You watch tv? Gaghhhh!

No. I've got a small one tucked away in the closet for stuff like the Superbowl, but I don't even have one plugged in right now. The only screen plugged in at all in my home right now is a monitor for my computer that doesn't have a tuner in it.

Most of the local businesses keep televisions on though, banks, restaurants, and I spend a lot of time in the waiting rooms of various medical facilities. Usually it's two or three screens, one often showing ESPN, at least one is showing a "news" network [usually, but not always FOX], and occasionally another screen somewhere with whatever daytime talkshows happen to be on. So I'm exposed to a lot of television news because of that, even though I don't pay much attention to it as I have a Digital Pad to keep me busy. It's kind of hard to avoid not seeing any television news at all, and it's pretty clear most people are sick of having nothing on but the Zimmerman trial and the Royal Baby for so long now. Not to mention if I'm visiting family they often have the television on a news network. [Fox in the case of my Mother, and MSNBC in the case of my father. So I'm often exposed to both extremes of stupidity.]

I'm not exposed to it as much as a lot of other people and even I'm sick of it all.

I was a tv watching maniac as a kid. Then came the microcomputer and my interest in tv died. Like you about the only tv I see is 30 minutes worth of sports while at a restaurant and that's about it. After one 5 oclock newscast I remember why I don't watch tv. I couldn't imagine choking down the vomit of either Fox or MSNBC.

I've always been one to think things happen for a reason. (Husband) accidentally locked the keys inside the uHaul at the gas station and noticed the tie down strap on one of the tires of the Santa Fe had come loose. So he fixed that. While waiting the hour wait for the locksmith, I noticed that tire had been tied down wrong from the start. So he fixed that too. Right after that, the locksmith came. I think God wanted us to lock the keys inside so we'd notice the towed car problem and save ourselves from a potential tragic accident. Praise God for answering prayer and looking after His children

Like · · Share · near Fort Wayne, IN ·

... and 10 others like this.

(friend) I'm glad y'all are ok... Hope the rest of the trip goes well!

via mobile · Like · 1

(mother) God has answered my prayers to keep you safe as you travel.

via mobile · Like · 1

My question, which I won't ask on fb, is why god couldn't have helped them hook the car up right in the first place.

My question, which I won't ask on fb, is why god couldn't have helped them hook the car up right in the first place.

God just loves a good treasure hunt.

God just loves a good treasure hunt.

Well, see, the thing is ... if God had helped them hook it up right in the first place, they would never have known that a miracle had taken place. And we all know that God likes to enact miracles in order to show off his glory.

• Like 2

Not on Facebook, but in the bulletin I still get in email:

"Today’s Sermons

Building Bridges for a Better Marriage

Sunday Morning

Thou Shalt Not Gamble

Sunday Evening"

I've never gambled except to buy raffle tickets for causes, but I've never heard a convincing sermon about it, either. I like the saying that the lottery is a tax on the mathematically challenged, but the only sin they can usually point out is greed, and lots of people gamble jut for fun. They're perfectly aware that they lose more than they win, but enjoy the times they win. Putting money in a slot machine isn't that different than putting money in an arcade game.

It can be stupid. It can be addictive. But it can also just be harmless entertainment.

"Today’s Sermons

Sunday Morning

Thou Shalt Not Gamble

Sunday Evening"

I've never gambled except to buy raffle tickets for causes, but I've never heard a convincing sermon about it, either. I like the saying that the lottery is a tax on the mathematically challenged, but the only sin they can usually point out is greed, and lots of people gamble jut for fun. They're perfectly aware that they lose more than they win, but enjoy the times they win. Putting money in a slot machine isn't that different than putting money in an arcade game.

It can be stupid. It can be addictive. But it can also just be harmless entertainment.

Tithing is a 100% loss. But with a slot machine you may win something. But the odds are against it. :-)

"Today’s Sermons

Sunday Morning

Thou Shalt Not Gamble

Sunday Evening"

I think of the Lottery as a 'dream ticket' rather than a 'tax'.

You know you aren't going to win, but you buy one so you can imagine what you'd do with it if you did. You could imagine such things without buying one, but it's just not the same. You're not buying a chance a millions, you're buying an excuse to indulge yourself on thoughts of what you'd do if you were suddenly drowning in money.

I get one on occasion. When the Jackpot gets large enough I sometimes indulge. Not always then either, I'm to lazy to go out of my way for it, but if I happen to go to the gas station before a big drawing I'll get one if I remember. Half the time I forget anyway.

Honestly the most I expect is maybe a free ticket, and even that is rare. Generally speaking I'm too lazy to go out of my way to even cash a free ticket in. Half the time it just expires and I throw it away.

Also, who puts money into an Arcade game anymore? They're hard to even find anymore, but I suppose they do still exist. I also wouldn't call it the same thing as it's not a gamble. If you lose at a slot machine it's luck of the draw, if you lose at a video game it's because you're not skilled enough to beat the machine or your opponent. There's also nothing to gain from an Arcade game. If you win at a slot machine you get a bunch of tokens that can be redeemed for cash, or coins depending on the machine. If you win at an arcade game, you get...an ending. Some games can't be 'won' and the best you get is a high score. There's nothing to gain from an arcade machine at all aside from an entertainment experience. Putting money into an arcade machine is more like renting a movie or paying for a movie ticket than gambling.

There's nothing in the Bible that actually suggest gambling is wrong anyway. I've always thought this was stupid. Much like Alcohol, it's Biblical base for being wrong doesn't actually exist.

"Today’s Sermons

Sunday Morning

Thou Shalt Not Gamble

Sunday Evening"

I find some irony in seeing these two topics listed together. Isn't marriage a gamble? ;)

"Today’s SermonsBuilding Bridges for a Better Marriage

Sunday MorningThou Shalt Not Gamble

Sunday Evening"

I find some irony in seeing these two topics listed together. Isn't marriage a gamble? ;)

Maybe they should be combined: how to gamble and win on marriage!

I often say (to myself, never out loud until this moment) that if I'm ever single again, I'm staying that way. I'm pretty sure I could be contented alone, and to me contentedness equals happiness. I can't imagine risking that contentedness to gamble on the off chance that I would be happy tied to another person and their family. Of course, I've never really been single, having married at age 21, so I don't know of a certainty that I'd be content, but contentedness is the thng that has been lacking in my life for the last 32 years. Just when I think life is perfect, I'm informed that I'm wrong, and that life stinks and the apple cart needs to be upset.

So, perhaps the combination of the messages would be "thou shalt not marry".

"Today’s Sermons

Sunday Morning

Thou Shalt Not Gamble

Sunday Evening"

Tithing is a 100% loss. But with a slot machine you may win something. But the odds are against it. :-)

Tithing feels good at first. Giving to your church community to keep it strong, being part of that loving club, building a bigger heaven for Jesus... But start asking questions or calling out non-Christ-like behavior, and you're out! I have waaaaay more regret about the money I gave to my church than any pittance "wasted" on playing games in Vegas or on a cruise, or at my corner convenience store.

• Like 2

I find some irony in seeing these two topics listed together. Isn't marriage a gamble? wink.png

with a 50% chance of failure in the christian community too.

"Today’s Sermons

Sunday Morning

Thou Shalt Not Gamble

Sunday Evening"

Tithing feels good at first. Giving to your church community to keep it strong, being part of that loving club, building a bigger heaven for Jesus... But start asking questions or calling out non-Christ-like behavior, and you're out! I have waaaaay more regret about the money I gave to my church than any pittance "wasted" on playing games in Vegas or on a cruise, or at my corner convenience store.

I really didn't mind too much putting some money in the collection plate but at one point the ex decided tithing was a good thing and it was hard to swallow handing over checks for $500 and $600 to the church. That really pissed me off. We didn't do that more than a handful of times thank goodness. What made me more angry was discussing this with the christards of my church who said things like, "10% of your money ABSOLUTELY does not belong to you, it belongs to God".... Thinking about this makes me want to punch them for being condescending idiots. :-)

• Like 1

When people post Christian song lyrics. Wendystop.gif

One of my "favorite" songs is "He Touched Me". I think it is the dirtiest song in all of Christianity. People sing it with a straight face. I don't even know how.

"He touched me

Oh, He touched me.

And oh, the joy that floods my soul.

Something happened and now I know

He touched me and made me whole."

lmao_99.gif  

One of my "favorite" songs is "He Touched Me". I think it is the dirtiest song in all of Christianity. People sing it with a straight face. I don't even know how.

"He touched me

Oh, He touched me.

lmao_99.gif  

He touched me there... :-)

"He touched me

Oh, He touched me.

lmao_99.gif  

He touched me there... :-)

Surely you had to see this coming...

"I want to get down on my knees and start pleasing Jesus

I want to feel his salvation all over my face"

• Like 2

The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa, anyone?

• Like 1

The Ecstasy of Saint Theresa, anyone?

I'm sure it involves non consensual BDSM and dying of a painful disease.

• Like 2

Pat Robertson said recently that gamers are conducting "virtual sin" whenever characters we play kill something... Get off youtube/gamer's places, senile Christianist. 

• Like 1

Aw, hell, ISISBrett, if you try hard enough, everything is a sin. Posting pics on FB is prideful, a sin. Looking at vacation pics of others can lead to envy and greed, both sins. Wasting time is a sin. Acting out human instincts (given by God, I would posit) with aggressive role-playing games (rather than in real life, which would be worse) is a sin. If you're an atheist, just breathing is probably a sin.

Me making fun of Christians and their sins... is a sin.

• Like 2

Pat Robertson said recently that gamers are conducting "virtual sin" whenever characters we play kill something... Get off youtube/gamer's places, senile Christianist.

But he prolly doesn't mind THESE particular "christian" games that allegedly support the killing of nonbelievers and atheists.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Left_Behind:_Eternal_Forces

http://bw.newsblaze.com/story/2009051813103300002.bw/topstory.html

Pat Robertson can choke on a dick...

Just thought I'd throw that in there.