Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

Here's a person whose posts will no longer be on my wall as soon as I get on FB on a computer instead of my iPad:

"One day last week I had been praying all day. Studying the scripture. Seeking God for wisdom for things to come. After a while I just sat still. I began to think about the recent floods here in Colorado. I had heard on the news a few days before that the floods carved out a new course for the rivers in our area. I began thinking about how water was so powerful that in time, it could carve out a canyon!. Then God gave me a word. He said... Just as water engraves a path through rock, the watering of the word, engraves a path through our hearts. God wants to create a new course for our lives through the watering of the word!"

What does that even mean, "God gave me a word?" when we were growing up (went to high school with this woman) I didn't know anybody who thought that God actually put thoughts in their head. No, you thought that up all by yourself! God didn't plant that in your brain.

I must be going into a different stage of deconversion. This stuff is really starting to annoy me! I've never cursed in my life and even as a non-believer have figured throwing in expletives didn't really enhance any conversation, but what I want to say is "what the hell kind of fucking shit is this?" Yeah, gotta be a new stage for me.

Besides, as a fundie, doesn't she know that water doesn't carve canyons over time? All of the Earth's canyons were caused by runoff after the flood!

Fuckedy fuck fuck.

• Like 3

Here's a person whose posts will no longer be on my wall as soon as I get on FB on a computer instead of my iPad:

"One day last week I had been praying all day. Studying the scripture. Seeking God for wisdom for things to come. After a while I just sat still. I began to think about the recent floods here in Colorado. I had heard on the news a few days before that the floods carved out a new course for the rivers in our area. I began thinking about how water was so powerful that in time, it could carve out a canyon!. Then God gave me a word. He said... Just as water engraves a path through rock, the watering of the word, engraves a path through our hearts. God wants to create a new course for our lives through the watering of the word!"

Sounds more like a sentence than a word doesn't it.

I believe the full tr

I believe it's short for a "word of knowledge".

It's Christian lingo for "This made-up shit that just occurred to me."

I believe the full tr

Some guy in my church said he got a 'word' that "I was now in God's inner court." I was so excited for maybe a week. Then, like other things of God it faded.

It would be interesting to go to church for a while and begin writing down all the wonderful things that God has told church members about you even though you are secretly an atheist. Then later write a book about the experience. :-)

• Like 2

I believe the full tr

Some guy in my church said he got a 'word' that "I was now in God's inner court." I was so excited for maybe a week. Then, like other things of God it faded.

It would be interesting to go to church for a while and begin writing down all the wonderful things that God has told church members about you even though you are secretly an atheist. Then later write a book about the experience. :-)

So if god plays favorites how is that different than life down here on earth and why would we want to follow such and obvious elitist asshole.

Omg, this thread is so embarrassing, because I used to BE one if these ultra-religious nut jobs posting delusional drivel every day! I was such a self-righteous asshat about bit too... I deleted my account a year ago. I don't think I'll ever go back, it was such a waste of them.

But yeah, I was one of these religious morons on Facebook once... :(

• Like 1

"... Rap is horrible it just sounds good..."

Ummm, no it doesn't. Dude lost all credibility with me here. All the rest is just additional blah blah blah.

• Like 1

anyone seen this? Fundy friend posted it. I'm not a woman but I was offended by it. Using the Bible to promote empowerment of women? VOMIT!! And of course.. it was a man delivering it. Does any woman with a brain actually believe the Bible is pro-women's rights? 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWi5iXnguTU

anyone seen this? Fundy friend posted it. I'm not a woman but I was offended by it. Using the Bible to promote empowerment of women? VOMIT!! And of course.. it was a man delivering it. Does any woman with a brain actually believe the Bible is pro-women's rights?

I couldn't finish it. It reminds me of what I miss about the zombie cult. But then, reading 1 Timothy 2:11-15 fixes that.

Ok, I'm not from a Fundamentalist background, but the people I used to go to church with put some really fundamentally illogical things on FB. Even when I was an obedient Christian, I would never say things like this

tumblr_mu6agbjmQe1rzm9ygo1_500.png

I opted out of just slapping quotes all over this post, and finally found a way to upload the picture. Your thoughts on this? I, for one, am upset that Christians dare say things so hateful and downright absurd. Things that I'm sure Jesus himself probably wouldn't say. And this other non-christian who chimed in on the argument:

tumblr_mu6axkf2qj1rzm9ygo1_500.png

I couldn't finish it. It reminds me of what I miss about the zombie cult. But then, reading 1 Timothy 2:11-15 fixes that.

LOL  A man talking about women (in the first person)  to empty chairs..............

LOL  A man talking about women (in the first person)  to empty chairs..............

A man talking to chairs. He could be our next Clint Eastwood. :-)

Ok, I'm not from a Fundamentalist background, but the people I used to go to church with put some really fundamentally illogical things on FB. Even when I was an obedient Christian, I would never say things like this

tumblr_mu6agbjmQe1rzm9ygo1_500.png

I opted out of just slapping quotes all over this post, and finally found a way to upload the picture. Your thoughts on this? I, for one, am upset that Christians dare say things so hateful and downright absurd. Things that I'm sure Jesus himself probably wouldn't say. And this other non-christian who chimed in on the argument:

tumblr_mu6axkf2qj1rzm9ygo1_500.png

At least he got some flak for it! In my circles the dissenters would have been shouted down.

haha, my youtube comment received too many dislikes. Success! 

haha, my youtube comment received too many dislikes. Success! 

I just watched the video. A lot of people seem to be posting it on their Facebook. It came out in July and nobody's made a big deal about it until recently. 

I'm sort of neutral about it. I actually don't know how I feel towards the video; it didn't make me cry at all, in fact, I didn't care for its message because I don't need some guy telling me all of this stuff. It's encouraging but...meh.

One guy comes out and says "you're beautiful" and suddenly everybody changes the way they think about life? Hmmm......

I think it's always great to be extra critical of these things. 

I just watched this video.  It is the same blatant emotional manipulation churches use to find people who are hurting and try to use their pain to suck them into the church.  They're looking for people who don't have enough love in their life and are desperate for someone to love them, and they try to insinuate that they can only find that love from God.  Better advice for those people who are experiencing that pain is to spend time with a qualified therapist so they can find ways to work through their issues and make positive changes in their lives.

And I just loved how one of the points for women included that they were "more valuable than that score on a math test."  Because of course women are bad at math.  Note to women: don't buy into this bullshit!!!!!

And I just loved how one of the points for women included that they were "more valuable than that score on a math test."  Because of course women are bad at math.  Note to women: don't buy into this bullshit!!!!!

I caught that. He couldn't just say "test," it had to be a math test. I wonder if he actually meant it that way.

I caught that. He couldn't just say "test," it had to be a math test. I wonder if he actually meant it that way.

Honestly, probably not. He probably has trouble with Math tests himself and is projecting it into his um, whatever the fuck this is. Poetry I guess?

I do see this as trying too hard to appear 'sensitive' in order to make himself appear more attractive to women.

Honestly I'd say he'd have gotten mad cock points if this was directed at a single girl. Loses all effect when spread across women in general.

Sending a positive message is nice and all, but not every woman is 'smart' or 'beautiful'.

Being cruel is wrong, but too much positivity is a bad thing as well. It's like grading kids with a 'NI' [needs improvement] instead of an 'F' so they don't feel bad about failure and kids that excel not getting rewarded because it would make other kids feel better, would be putting excellence on a pedestal [you know, like it should be], and obviously not motivate other kids to try and do better forcing them to wallow in their own inadequacies. Failure shouldn't feel good. Rubbing someone's nose in it and browbeating them about it isn't good either, but it shouldn't be 'turned into a positive'. A lesson should be learned, everyone is not a winner and that someone should try harder to do better next time.

TL;DR: He's trying to hard. This would have been much better served directed at a single girl, in which case I would be forced to proclaim it genius rather than fail.

Besides he has that Bieber girl's hair and no woman should take someone with that hair seriously...

1378161_652199738134738_1224797739_n.jpg

one of the comments was 'I wish this guy was my boyfriend', which says everything really. It is blatant manipulation in the exact same way record companies use boy bands like One Direction to translate teenage girls' daddy issues into record sales. 

Christian: "Just killed a massive spider using my prayer journal, leaving a stain of spider-killing shame on the back... I'm not sure that's ok?!"

I was very tempted to say 'It's a lesson in how God felt when he squashed the Amelekites.'

We've all been smacked down by someone with a prayer book.

• Like 2

We've all been smacked down by someone with a prayer book.

Boom!

one of the comments was 'I wish this guy was my boyfriend', which says everything really. It is blatant manipulation in the exact same way record companies use boy bands like One Direction to translate teenage girls' daddy issues into record sales. 

I just think this video (and the 'male version') play on gender roles, and not very discreetly, either - blatantly. I would have been sold had it not been for the stereotypical and emotional problems that girls go through simply because they're girls, and all of those things he rapped about were "girl problems"  Because the videos were rooted in Christian messages, nevermind that there's a girl out there who wants to be a better athelete, or a guy who deals with insecurities or struggles with Math. And I don't know why people ignore that. 

• Like 1

Yesterday in my news feed: 10,000 problems would be solved through worship.

If every Christian on the planet lived by the golden rule, 10,000 problems would be solved. Just think of the corruption and starvation and abuse and (fill in any other major problem) that would dissolve if millions of people worked, voted, gave money, and acted en masse.

If worship were "real", all those people would be inspired to do this.

In my experience, all worship does is solidify cliques, entrench self-righteousness, and tighten the seals on the worshipers' box in which they worship.

• Like 2

Upon the death of their longtime dog, a FB friend posted this: "The question is this -- as my dog had a relationship with her masters, do I have a relationship with my Master, that I anticipate, look forward to, and am ready for His return? Am I ready to meet/greet Him with a smile, and say, "Master, I long to be where you are." Am I willing to serve at His command and follow Him without question?"

Nice analogy, except YOUR master throws you into an eternal fire when you shit on the carpet...

• Like 4