Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

TL;DR: Murder/Rape =/= Sin. Because, reasons.

Yep.  One thing that bothered me near the end of my Christianity was that I suddenly realized that I could not think of any rule in the Bible that prevented kidnapping or false imprisonment.  Maybe there is one and I just never found it.  But it bothered me that this wasn't something the Bible emphasized.

I love the idea of my rationalism's being dismantled (from a certain Andre Lefebvre)

NOT FOR EVERYBODY
"The desire to pursue God will be accompanied by pain because our rationalism will be dismantled. The Bible is not a peaceful book. It is a book of radical confrontation, demands and the destruction of pride and arrogance. It hurts to read Scripture. To study God’s word is to suffer. God calls us to be burned. That’s what happens to a sacrifice. If you haven’t discovered this, then you’re standing too far away from the Fire." - Skip Moen

I love the idea of my rationalism's being dismantled (from a certain Andre Lefebvre)

NOT FOR EVERYBODY

"The desire to pursue God will be accompanied by pain because our rationalism will be dismantled. The Bible is not a peaceful book. It is a book of radical confrontation, demands and the destruction of pride and arrogance. It hurts to read Scripture. To study God’s word is to suffer. God calls us to be burned. That’s what happens to a sacrifice. If you haven’t discovered this, then you’re standing too far away from the Fire." - Skip Moen

It's ironic that this quote meant to put being a pious, self deprecating, masochist on a pedestal, is in fact literally just a fancy, flowery way of saying that being Christian will eventually drive you to Lovecraftian levels of insanity if you're doing it right.

Well then, I obviously did it right, if I do say so myself. What a long and painful lesson.

1471239_691036810917359_1087574498_n.jpg

O_o -_-o_O-_-O_o;<_> >_<...FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

1471239_691036810917359_1087574498_n.jpg

O_o -_-o_O-_-O_o;<_> >_<...FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU...

This one time I said "Merry Christmas" and then the cops pulled me over and wrote me a ticket!

• Like 5

Uncle posted this link and commented:

WOW! All I can say is wow! I never thought I would find an athiest who is intellectually honest about the evidence. Who would have thought it would be Fox Nes own Kirsten Powers.

repuke.gif

First post I see when I logged in this morning:

Cannot sleep....this song keeps bidding me to come and sup with Christ. "What wondrous love is this , oh my soul, oh my soul....what wondrous love is this......"
I keep on praying and repenting....enjoying the quiet solitude while all are in bed right now! 
Why did God choose to reveal Himself to me?! Oh my God... how precious you are to me!!!

Wow...just wow. I think this person needs their head examined. Seriously...I will never understand the obsession with god that causes people to post things like this. 

Cannot sleep....this song keeps bidding me to come and sup with Christ. "What wondrous love is this , oh my soul, oh my soul....what wondrous love is this......"[/size]I keep on praying and repenting....enjoying the quiet solitude while all are in bed right now! [/size]Why did God choose to reveal Himself to me?! Oh my God... how precious you are to me!!![/size]

Wow...just wow. I think this person needs their head examined. Seriously...I will never understand the obsession with god that causes people to post things like this.

Lovely. Didn't know an earworm was Devine revelation.

Cannot sleep....this song keeps bidding me to come and sup with Christ. "What wondrous love is this , oh my soul, oh my soul....what wondrous love is this......"

I keep on praying and repenting....enjoying the quiet solitude while all are in bed right now! 

Why did God choose to reveal Himself to me?! Oh my God... how precious you are to me!!!

We call this insomnia. They will feel like shit around late afteroon. :-)

I lay awake for an hour last night with "I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas" stuck in my head. Oh, thank you, God, for revealing to me your special plan to answer my prayers for such a wonderful blessing, but I hope it is of the pygmy variety. The cats might get pissed otherwise.

Cannot sleep....this song keeps bidding me to come and sup with Christ. "What wondrous love is this , oh my soul, oh my soul....what wondrous love is this......"[/size]I keep on praying and repenting....enjoying the quiet solitude while all are in bed right now! [/size]Why did God choose to reveal Himself to me?! Oh my God... how precious you are to me!!![/size]

Ugh, that person and Jesus need to get a room.

• Like 1

Sometimes, the things fundies say on Facebook is just downright stupid.

post-21135-0-33493400-1386814282_thumb.jpg

:rotfl:

Everytime, the things fundies say on Facebook is just downright stupid.

fixed

Everything fundies say on Facebook is just downright stupid.

or

Every time a fundy says something on facebook it is just downright stupid.

fixed

Fixed again [for grammar].

Heil Bullokar!

Well, the dictionary is good for other things, too.

cult, n

- a specific system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and deity

- a sect devoted to such a system

- an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers

- a quasi-religious organization using devious psychological techniques to gain and control adherents

- something regarded as fashionable or significant by a particular group

- Sociology: a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols

Overlay those definitions with Christianity: check, check, check, check, check, check.

Therefore, Christianity is a cult -- the dictionary says so!

• Like 4

I've had to de friend and hide people from my timeline because of all the quotes and bible verses and 'Repost this if GOD IS GOOD!' BS. I just can't deal with it right now, still hurts to see it. Reminds me of how stupid and hypocritical I was.

I'm calling BS and think you made this up.  No way people can be stupid.jesus.gif

The sister of a guy I went to school with, who is now a pastor, has been in a coma for the last week or so after an accident of some kind (I didn't ask how it happened), and now, every day, my feed is flooded with hundreds of posts from people saying they are praying for her and also posts thanking Jesus for the 'miracles of healing' that are ALREADY happening in her life. This, despite the fact that every day the update is exactly the same: her condition is steady but unchanged. I find these posts disgusting and they make me want to vomit, but of course I cannot let my feelings be known, all I can say is that I'm thinking of them and their family, yet I'm the odd one out, not adding the mandatory phrase 'I'm praying for you'. Of course, there is nothing anyone besides the medical staff can do for her, so these people obviously want to feel like they are helping in some way, and prayer gives them this outlet, lets them feel like they are actively making a difference. But they're not. And their 'miracles' are non-existent. If God was going to do a miracle, he would've instantly healed her, and she would've jumped out of her hospital bed and ran down the street, like the recipients of Jesus' miracles did, back in the day. Jesus said that his followers would do even greater miracles than he did. But no.

This makes me so angry. 

dictionary.com also calls jihad a "holy war," so I guess jihad must really be "holy." After all, the dictionary tells me so.

[/sarcasm]

It's mind boggling how many fundies don't grasp nuance. Statements simply framed around a particular perception are blindly viewed as actually supporting that perception.

• Like 1

Of course, there is nothing anyone besides the medical staff can do for her, so these people obviously want to feel like they are helping in some way, and prayer gives them this outlet, lets them feel like they are actively making a difference. But they're not.

If she is in a coma, she is probably getting visitors to sit and wait. What would really help is if someone would put together and deliver to her room a box of games, crossword puzzle books, a visitor journal, and stuff to do for the visitors while they sit there in anguish and boredom. Or offer to come sit with a family member, or bring them dinner so they have time to rush to the hospital in time for visiting hours. Why doesn't anyone do that? Just type for 15 seconds that they're praying, then move on. Lazy shits.

I've had to de friend and hide people from my timeline because of all the quotes and bible verses and 'Repost this if GOD IS GOOD!' BS. I just can't deal with it right now, still hurts to see it. Reminds me of how stupid and hypocritical I was.

I know what you mean that it still hurts to see stuff like that. That part will get better for you. Good idea to block it out for the time being, until you have healed enough to deal with and laugh off such nonsense.

I know what you mean that it still hurts to see stuff like that. That part will get better for you. Good idea to block it out for the time being, until you have healed enough to deal with and laugh off such nonsense.

Thanks RW!

3500 replies!  Heck.

• Like 1