Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

Just saw this gem:

"Second chances are such a wonderful thing"

Okkk, so no need for any personal responsibility then.  And they say athiests are amoral.

• Like 1

"Where you are today is no accident.  God is using the situation you are in right now to shape you and prepare you for the place He wants to bring you into tomorrow.  Trust Him with His plan even if you don't understand it."

Friend posted a totally reasonable article about why homosexuals do not oppress Christians. Went on to say in her comments that she disagreed with the article and that the author had No Understanding of Scripture. I had originally "liked" her post until she commented that later... Unliked and unfriended. I don't need that kind of bullshit from casual acquaintances...

Considering that the ''good ole days'' of America were built upon slavery, racism, bigotry, and female oppression ...all concepts supported by the Bible, I can see why a 'fundie' would tout that they believe America has 'forgotten about God.' haha Yeah, oh please bring back the good ole days, when women weren't permitted to vote, and the civil rights of only heterosexual white men mattered...rolleyes.gif

• Like 4

fb: "Before God created the heaven and the earth, what did he do?"

Luther replied, "God created a whip for those who ask such a silly question."

my silent response: so no question ask and just believe? that's blind fanaticism, not faith

fb: The presence of idol is in everywhere.if the ultimate purpose of my life above a true worship in God, it will be an idolatry

my silent response (again): so based on that we have church idol, evangelism idol, celebrity pastor idol, prosperity idol, second blessing idol, bible idol, heaven idol, armageddon idol, persecution idol, papacy idol, marry idol, and saints idol?

Apparently I'm related to white supremacists (at least by marriage). A cousin's wife shared an article from White People World Wide. Aaannndddd unfriend. I can handle religious shit, but not racist shit. For some reason, though, religion and racism seem to go together. I can't imagine why...

Apparently I'm related to white supremacists (at least by marriage). A cousin's wife shared an article from White People World Wide. Aaannndddd unfriend. I can handle religious shit, but not racist shit. For some reason, though, religion and racism seem to go together. I can't imagine why...

I don't understand religious racism myself. Was nobody else taught the children's song, "Red and yellow, black and white, they are precious in his sight"? The idea of not seeing the different races as being equally in God's image is alien to my upbringing. I no longer buy into the religious stuff, but I'm still baffled by religious racism.

Sorry for the double quote. Posting from a phone is a royal pain.

Maybe religious racism is simply a hangover from the pre-enlightenment when everyone was racist... the enlightenment brought about an environment where all sorts of groups could eventually become emancipated: ethnic minorities, women, to some extent children, etc.  The religious are still stuck in pre-enlightenment thinking.  Loss of belief in a god seems to correlate with an ability to question previously held prejudices.

"The religious are still stuck in pre-enlightenment thinking."  FreeThinkerNZ

I can't remember the author (maybe MarkTwain?) or the title but a good point was made by whomever it was about the church. He said in every area in which western civilization marched out of the dark ages with respect to slavery, civil rights freedom of speech,  even freedom of religion, etc.,the church would always join in the march --at the rear.   So true.   bill

• Like 1

Maybe religious racism is simply a hangover from the pre-enlightenment when everyone was racist

Yes maybe, but are we not overlooking a simpler explanation: that God, in choosing the Jews, showed himself to be the king of all racists? In fact, he was quite extraordinarily, obsessively racist, if you look at how many non-Jewish racial groups were slaughtered, purely because of their race, at his behest.

• Like 1

Maybe religious racism is simply a hangover from the pre-enlightenment when everyone was racist

Yes maybe, but are we not overlooking a simpler explanation: that God, in choosing the Jews, showed himself to be the king of all racists? In fact, he was quite extraordinarily, obsessively racist, if you look at how many non-Jewish racial groups were slaughtered, purely because of their race, at his behest.

Good point.  Racism existed before biblegod, in the form of tribalism, but biblegod was indeed the king of all racists, and that permeated throughout every society that became dominated by an Abrahamic religion.

Very hilarious post:

I was having a hiccup for about 3 minutes

I tried to drink but it was no use

then I said "in the name of jesus, stop my hiccup"

and the hiccup stops

god works for everything

my reaction: please do not ask god to do things that you can do by yourself

• Like 1

Very hilarious post:

I was having a hiccup for about 3 minutes

I tried to drink but it was no use

then I said "in the name of jesus, stop my hiccup"

and the hiccup stops

god works for everything

my reaction: please do not ask god to do things that you can do by yourself

My reaction: Please pray that all famine and disease cease immediately and we'll check the results.

• Like 1

"Yes maybe, but are we not overlooking a simpler explanation: that God, in choosing the Jews, showed himself to be the king of all racists? In fact, he was quite extraordinarily, obsessively racist, if you look at how many non-Jewish racial groups were slaughtered, purely because of their race, at his behest." maxmaxmaxmax

It is so clear that the OT is about a tribal god. The NT, whose authors tried to claim that Xtianity was simply a continuation of the OT, stretched the OT beyond recognition and belief. Ask any Rabbi.   bill

"God loves you for who you are, but too much to leave you that way".

Confusing, huh?

Re Son of God movie:

"Went to see this awesome movie last night. I should have taken a box of tissues! What a Saviour we love and serve. Such a timely reminder (leading up to Easter) of the ultimate price paid by One so innocent so that I could have LIFE TO THE FULL."

post-21553-0-19387000-1397572989_thumb.jpg

Straw man alert!!!

• Like 1

"For the wrath of almighty omnipotent God it must upon on sin and it did in his son, for it pleased him to bruise him to bring us to God, to execute judgement the justice of God, now we the guilty are made free by innocent blood, he abolished the enmity fulfilling the law"

this god is scaryyy! *runs away*

They can be so stupid sometimes.

• Like 1

Beyond stupid, actually, Kaiser01. That's one of the dumbest collections of misunderstandings I've seen in a while!

One of my cousins just posted this to FB. I was tempted to ask "And how's that working out for you?"

https://www.facebook.com/ChristianTodayInternational/photos/a.10150979664014916.440987.188340264915/10152352066949916/?type=1&theater

A fundie on my Facebook list was blathering on about  the video in Kaiser01's post. Said that he found it "full of truth and wisdom". That comment raised my blood pressure at least as much as the video did.

Not only that, but the points in that vid are so easy to refute. Atheists aren't "offended" by "under God"; however, most of us believe it's unconstitutional. Anthony Flew was approaching philosophical/theological issues from several methodological angles over the long trajectory of his career, but he never converted to any sort of Christianity of any kind, and his notions of "intelligent design" weren't the same thing US yokels are arguing it is. And "standards of morality"? Like denying equal pay, medical coverage, marriage equality and recognition of families-

It wasn't "truth and wisdom," it was flawed thinking and loaded language designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator of non-critical thinkers. 

• Like 1

I'd like to see how the guy in that video would react if Islam suddenly became the dominant religion in the US and the government put "under Allah" in the pledge of allegiance and printed "In Allah we trust" on the money. He'd probably shit himself.

Then, I'd like to see his reaction when a Muslim gets up on stage and says, "Those Christians are irrational. They want 'under Allah' taken out of the pledge of allegiance. Why? Because it offends them! They don't even believe in our god, they believe in three gods, but ours offends them! I'm like, 'Dudes, you believe in three gods, instead of ours, so how can Allah offend you?'"

I can already see the vein throbbing in his neck, his pulse rising, and he'll go rant about it somewhere that non-Muslims interract. Then, an atheist will overhear him and say, "Hey buddy, that Muslim sounds a lot like you a few years back! Now you know how it feels to be turned into a straw man and have your personal beliefs twisted into a pretzel for the purpose of getting a few laughs."

• Like 6

Christianity. The whipping up of emotions. Can I get an amen!?

• Like 1

So an atheist is now a deist. Therefore, Jebus! haha

Both my parents got half-assed religious in their final years. I don't think this proves Jebus.

Why can't god defend himself? Why do people need to do it? Oh well, apologetics sells out auditoriums. Prai$e Je$u$!

• Like 2