Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

This idiot of a teacher

said that that may be a social problem but not a christian one. Really? How can he be

that stupid? bill

How can he be a Sunday School teacher and not know Jesus' message?

are WE more powerful than god? that WE can intervene when god acts? could WE domesticate god?

Secular government has domesticated the gods. The Christian god isn't nearly as feral in western Europe today as it was centuries ago.

I never ceased to be amazed at the Republican lobby that wants to ban abortion but also remove all public healthcare assistance." FreeThinkerNZ

It truly is amazing. Before I deconverted I was in a Sunday School class taught by a guy about the evils of abortion.I said to him that I didn't like abortion either when it is used as a method of birth

control, but if we are going to oppose abortion shouldn't we give to support to single mothers having to raise a child by herself because the father has abdicated his responsibilities? This idiot of a teacher

said that that may be a social problem but not a christian one. Really? How can he be

that stupid? bill

What the hell?!? Crazy how some Christians are just looking for a devil to fight! Has he not read, "Pure and undefined religion...is taking care of orphans and widows in their distress"? Holly shit! That's actually one of the good verses in the bible! If that doesn't perfectly describe single mothers and their children, what does???

The bible, being ancient, speaks nothing about abortion or birth control but speaks tons about taking care of orphans and widows.

• Like 2

my catholic friends talking about the power of prayer, they gave some examples from internet (yes because fundie facebook wall and internet stories must be 100% correct)

1st example: a man in the hotel lobby were seeing a child with down syndrome was yelling and rolling around in public. He got an urge to pray and the child is healed and live as normal people (yes, because god is so good that he let the parent suffers for years and ignoring their prays for their child just to give an urge to some random stranger to pray for the child)

2nd example: a man got a very disgusting skin disease that no doctors knows what is his disease. He suffered for more than 10 years and one day holy spirit gave him a sight that 10 years ago he did not pray over the meal and interfered with his friends prayer over the meal. (so the punishment for not praying over the meal is 10 years of suffering and illness, just like a dictator who put someone in jail for 10 years for not saluting him once)

3rd example: their church member got cancer but believe in medical treatment. After it wasn't working she started to pray and she is healed. She said she regret that she did not trust god sooner. (so god gave her cancer and god took it away but praise the lord eh? if a doctor gave me an illness on purpose and then he healed it, I would sue him for medical malpractice)

I wonder how can they are not bothered with these?

• Like 1

post-6954-0-11620300-1403007297_thumb.png

So, god sent Arial Castro to cleanse the 3 young women that he held in his Cleveland basement as sex slaves for a 10 years?

10334376_10152461737587384_8396800356161

let me finish

...once you make it all fall into place"

This shows well the damaging modern evangelical theology that says that "more jesus fixes everything".  

attachicon.gif10374019_10152409898013808_1901352922307321909_n.png

So, god sent Arial Castro to cleanse the 3 young women that he held in his Cleveland basement as sex slaves for a 10 years?

It's all in the plan.  Gawd works in mysterious ways.

Don't question it, mortal!

I just shared this story:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/06/18/florida-dad-killed-by-neighbors-stray-bullet-as-family-welcomes-home-newborn/?onswipe_redirect=no&oswrr=1

about an accidental shooting, and got some real whoppers.. this is one of the worst things I've ever heard:

It says he was a criminal from a prior gun conviction in 2006. He is a former criminal. We are headed quickly to a police state; if we allow the government to take guns from the people, the people have no means of protecting themselves from the government! We do not want history to repeat itself. Also, to mention massacres along with this tragedy is a bit of a stretch. This guy had gun go off by accident and it went through walls and killed another person. As a Christian, I believe it was this guy's time to die. It is sad and tragic, but it was his time to go.

Needless to say it got pretty heated after that.  But that is seriously fucked up.  Ugh.

let me finish

This shows well the damaging modern evangelical theology that says that "more jesus fixes everything".  

Crack heads and junkies say the same shit only they insert crack or junk rather than jesus.

• Like 1

let me finish

Crack heads and junkies say the same shit only they insert crack or junk rather than jesus.

Just focus on praying and feeling good. As long as you do that, ignoring the problem will make it go away.

UGH... A friend I grew up with just posted a blog post about how she is "coming out"....... as no longer being Evangelical. Now she's just a different brand of Christianity that helps her feel better and skirt the "gay" issue. Talk about anti-climatic. I felt like posting "WHO CARES? It's still crazy, no matter what branch you stick yourself in". I had such hope for her, too, she has been posting all sorts of great questions lately.

Oh, and someone posted this status: "A sunset is Gods way of saying goodnight"

And another friend replied: "I love it!! You are SO right! I totally believe he takes a special interest in sunrises and sunsets Those He does personally."

So God takes the time to personally create the sunsets, but can't be bothered to, I don't know, feed a few starving children??

• Like 3

UGH... A friend I grew up with just posted a blog post about how she is "coming out"....... as no longer being Evangelical. Now she's just a different brand of Christianity that helps her feel better and skirt the "gay" issue. Talk about anti-climatic. I felt like posting "WHO CARES? It's still crazy, no matter what branch you stick yourself in". I had such hope for her, too, she has been posting all sorts of great questions lately.

Sounds like she maybe on a deconversion path. Everyone's is different. That's how my deconversion went. Over the course of years I saw the problems with Christianity more and more. At first I blamed them on my particular brand. Then slowly I found some of the problems to be universal to Christianity. Then finally, I found the biggest problems to be with faith based belief in general.

• Like 4

10373786_10152075360410670_6798784019755

are WE more powerful than god? that WE can intervene when god acts? could WE domesticate god?

I could substitute that with a number of things, like:

I did but you made them slaves

I did but you denied them the right to a proper education

I did but you denied them proper nutrition

I did but you made her give birth every other year

I did but you convinced them that the world is 6000 years old and gave them a crap education

I did but he/she died of a preventable illness because of being born in the wrong place

I was going to but you did not have sex THAT time in particular and missed the chance

I was going to but you did not get married as soon as puberty began and missed the chance

Etc etc

• Like 1

Oh, and someone posted this status: "A sunset is Gods way of saying goodnight"

And another friend replied: "I love it!! You are SO right! I totally believe he takes a special interest in sunrises and sunsets Those He does personally."

So God takes the time to personally create the sunsets, but can't be bothered to, I don't know, feed a few starving children??

Oh for the love of it.

I laugh hard when science and religous idiots mix. The sun is still there no one put it to bed like a nine year old. I Know you all know this. Not sure about some christians though. They might still think the world is flat.

• Like 1

Wow great stuff, people!

But, you guys are leaving one thing out, or else I know a lot of real crazies. What about prayer over Facebook? I will shamelessly admit I was rather a prayerless Christian, tended more towards reconciling all o fit, or not, as the case has been.

But, post on Facebook wife has a cough or husband has the sniffles, and get evreyone writing that they're praying. Really? Maybe some people do that. I'm married to one, who, although not crazy like that, will say a quick prayer in the middle of doing something and go back to whatver. But, every little hangail posted?

Post from FacePoopy: <name omitted> needs your prayers. I changed his diaper, and his poop is not right. ... that one was a few years ago, can't remember the full quote.

But still:

At least with politics in the U.S., they're all programmed to pray for one single candidate. The ones who allege to be leftist, or independent, are strangely silent during that time.

And the lists that get offered: Pray we find a good parking spot, pray we can get this, get that, and so on. I know some Christians criticize that for being selfish. Me, even when I was a Christian, just found that toally unbelievable and figured nobody heard that stuff.

I'm not even sure about saying the brotherly "Pulling for ya, man," or "Thinking of ya," and so on. That's as empty as prayer is. Only, I'd rather do something constructive. At the time my father had his heart attack, I still felt guilty for not having prayed. But even as a deconverting Christian then, I still only felt remotely useful when we could do something constructive.

Anyway, sure strikes me as out there. i know, they're just living in a isolated insulated society. The aforementioned 50s housewives is an evolutionary abberration, humans have been meant to be more social than that. And Facebook is probably helping.

So maybe for some of these, they ask for prayer as a way to ellicit help, which many of us have responded to, if not by mumbling pre-arranged verbiage to an invisible fictitious entity.

And others aren't happy with their situation and they "wax elephant" about things political and economic,  disciplines they obviously have not studied, through the lens of the pastor or Jesus Christ the Fox News Superstar.

I'm as frustrated by it all as any. But I try sometimes to take off the rationalist hat and put the humanist one on instead. but, there are certainly some I have hidden from my news feed for just that reason.

Radical Christian women can male-bash and father-bash as competitively as any decent radical feminist. Their sources are just a bit different, if equally nonfalsifiable and inflamatory. And your big brother Christians wanted to corral everyone around, "We all agree on this don't we/ Let's all get behind God's man!" ... such men have the distinct honor of forcing me to learn how to block people on Facebook.

Sounds like she maybe on a deconversion path. Everyone's is different. That's how my deconversion went. Over the course of years I saw the problems with Christianity more and more. At first I blamed them on my particular brand. Then slowly I found some of the problems to be universal to Christianity. Then finally, I found the biggest problems to be with faith based belief in general.

I was hoping so. Her post got retweeted by a big name Christian blogger, though, so now she's flying high on the "attention" and adulation she's getting for being so "brave" and "honest" and "inspiring".

I was hoping so. Her post got retweeted by a big name Christian blogger, though, so now she's flying high on the "attention" and adulation she's getting for being so "brave" and "honest" and "inspiring".
Common Christian tactic. Kiss the doubter's ass so they'll stay. That tactic stopped working on me after a while. I realized that my pastors and friends meant well, but I finally got serious about what is actually true. I finally found the ability to examine my beliefs objectively and saw that they were completely unfounded. I wouldn't worry about your friend too much. Be there for her, but don't coerce her in anyway (not saying you would). Her journey has to be her own.
  • Like 1

They will only kiss your ass, saying things like "Well, I think you're a good guy," or "smart people like you," if they can get you to rubber stamp something of theirs.

And by 'them' I mean those who are out with an argument and want to prove they're right.

Who wouldn't want to convert a skeptic? Many so-called skeptics like C. S. Lewis and Josh McDowell don't practice true skepticism though, and often look like the "I'm a skeptic" people on those Saturday Morning infomercials

• Like 1

It's so poe, my head might explode!

It's so poe, my head might explode!

They can't be serious!  Who's the creepy pedo looking over the kid's shoulder, in the birthing room, on the trash truck. FUCK. ME.

They will only kiss your ass, saying things like "Well, I think you're a good guy," or "smart people like you," if they can get you to rubber stamp something of theirs.

And by 'them' I mean those who are out with an argument and want to prove they're right.

Who wouldn't want to convert a skeptic? Many so-called skeptics like C. S. Lewis and Josh McDowell don't practice true skepticism though, and often look like the "I'm a skeptic" people on those Saturday Morning infomercials

Good think that Clive has been dead since 1963, he won't be practicing anything around here anytime soon.

I saw a "God / Family / Country" meme today on FB. I believe that was the priority they were trying to get across. Not sure why God needs to be a priority. Can't he take care of himself?

He can't even communicate effectively. He needs all his little pawns to do his communicating for him, and even they can't all agree.

True fact

1620934_10152182751933879_1591484072_n.p

Because you can't be happy without reading the Bible, amirite!?

• Super Moderator

1620934_10152182751933879_1591484072_n.p

Because you can't be happy without reading the Bible, amirite!?

This is precisely the opposite of the side-effects of reading the bible. 

• Like 6

A friend (who might be a closet Fundie) posted this on her wall today.

"I thank God for protecting me from what I thought I wanted and blessing me with what I didnt know I needed."

bleck.