Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

So, this just happened on my Facebook feed this morning. This is the end of a serious conversation that this guy is having with one of my Facebook friends in regards to a pic he showed stating that the welfare system in the U.S. is a broken and flawed system: (fyi, the guy is someone I don't know, not my friend)

Girl Poster:  2 Thessalonians 3:10 For even when we were with you, we would give you this command: If anyone is not willing to work, let him not eat.

Guy Poster:  Let the woman learn in silence with all subjection. But I suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence. 1 Timothy 2:11-12. Not my book, mind you, but if we're going to quote it, let's not miss the forest for the trees.

Girl Poster:  Lol. Not right.

Guy Poster:  Not me talking. I think you can say whatever you want. God sees things differently, though. So, disobey him at your peril. smile.png

The dude has some serious balls to post something like that. Oh the wonderful things religion does to people...

Nice rebuttal.

Excellent.

My cousin posted a quote from Jesse Duplantis Ministries so I went to look at it, to see what else I could find.  I got these gems:

Believe God. Trust Him by putting aside your natural thinking, shutting the door to other people's opinions, and making no provision for failure.

The devil assaults the mind and tries to weaken the will of a person. If that person has only asked for forgiveness, but hasn’t truly repented––meaning they haven’t made a firm decision to turn away from the sin and begin to allow God to reveal and remove the root problem––they will most likely fall again. They’ll begin to give into the temptation, and then, the excuses come rolling in. It’s called denial or refusal to admit any fault.
That’s why some break so hard when they got caught. They knew God, loved God and wanted to do right but they let the devil steal, kill and destroy their lives. They let their own egos get in the way and instead of enduring temptation, they relaxed into enjoyment mode. That’s a scary place to be, especially if God has given you a place of high position. So, no excuses. Admit it, quit it, and forget it.

Have you been down in the dumps? Get your Bible out and start reading it! Cheerfulness comes from knowing the Good News.

Reminds how glad I am that I escaped the cray-cray.

https://www.facebook.com/JesseDuplantisMinistries

10274064_821010081260633_602378576135927

• Like 1

Just...wow. Wow. really? Even if it's fake you know damn well there are tons of fundies that agree with it

This woman makes me wonder how many racists still are around....I thought they were about 5% of the population. Hm.

You mean the population of earth? I would wager it is still around 40% of the planet hates someone because of what they think is another race other than human populating the shit.

racism is alive and kicking. It might seem invisible to some places in say the US but seriously I am surrounded by bigots all day every day. Even the ones that pretend they are not make it so obvious they think they are better than anyone that is not them.

I am half syrian and I can still remember how I got treated by most people in my town for about 3 months after 9/11. I ended up laughing in the faces of most of them during that time and then I said fuck it and moved the fuck away from that town once they really showed me who they were. Funny thing is before that day I was friends with most of them and they already knew my ethnic makeup. I am not muslim nor am I an immigrant to the US. I am a native born American fucking asshole just like them, and one they called friend until some small group of asshats went and played darts with a couple of high rises. I know nothing of Syria of my ancestory which is 100% more than these ignorant fucks knew about me apparently. Funny how my beard got blamed for knocking down two buildings... my boss at the time asked me to shave, he thought it would be easier... problem is he didn't even realize he was being the same asshole they were. Told him to fuck himself on my way out the door to a better job... Never went back and that was 12 years ago. I wish them no ill, none at all and that is really the difference between me and them.

racism lives as long as we accept that there is actually more than one race of humans on earth. Until that changes fundamentally and we see ourselves as one earthly people we will haves issues with racism, probably even after that but they will be like toothless old cats at that point.

• Like 2

And then this just happened.  Facebook Christianity officially jumped the shark:

post-20203-0-16303100-1409271061_thumb.png

Here is the link.  Please tell me this is just trolling.  Even if it is, it's still so sad and telling that Christians are falling for it...  Poe's Law, anyone?

http://www.maxresistance.com/ice-bucket-challenge-exposed-satanic-ritual/

And then this just happened.  Facebook Christianity officially jumped the shark:

Here is the link.  Please tell me this is just trolling.  Even if it is, it's still so sad and telling that Christians are falling for it...  Poe's Law, anyone?

Wow! That picture is sexy, so it must be SATAN!

I think this person has confused college girls in bars with Satanists.

Sadly, this is probably real. Even if the original isn't, the reaction to it by the swarms of Christians who no doubt accept it as fact definitely is.

The only reason I was doing it was because I thought it was a Satanic ritual.

Can someone please explain the logic behind this statement...?

post-21771-0-64146000-1409407202_thumb.jpg

I can usually understand where they are trying to come from, but this perplexes me.  I have no idea what their train of thought was...

Here comes Christian group think, when one starts thinking somethings a conspiracy... they all do...

Good luck with that. There isn't any logic behind it.

That is not possible. There simply aren't that many sharks in the world.

There's a meme for that.

Wat8.jpg?1315930535

post-21771-0-64146000-1409407202_thumb.j

that-doesnt-make.jpg

I think they were trying to say that evolution only retains physical attributes that are necessary. Since almost all women lose their hymen then why after all this time was it not lost to the evolutionary process.

Had this wonderful bit of christian persecution show up today:

"Its seems like in the US it's ok to be or believe anything but Christianity.. Kids are getting IN TROUBLE in school for saying God bless you, and reading the Bible during free reading time. If its ok to put the complete garbage they do in the media, then it has to be ok for kids to passively express their religion. My illusion is that if the kid pulled out the Quran a word wouldn't have been said.. But since it was the Bible it's wrong and punishable?? If all minority groups are receiving equal rights then Christians deserve them just as well.. Does everybody understand that? People stand up for yourselves and your children and FIGHT for what you believe in.. The morals and standards this country have once stood for are going down the drain with what's portrayed as acceptable and unacceptable at a very rapid pace.. Parents teach your kids to stand up for themselves and their religious or spiritual beliefs no matter who the conflicting person is, even if it is a teacher or principal.. We will NOT stand for this kind of corruption.. Share this if you agree"

"Its seems like in the US it's ok to be or believe anything but Christianity.. Kids are getting IN TROUBLE in school for saying God bless you, and reading the Bible during free reading time. If its ok to put the complete garbage they do in the media, then it has to be ok for kids to passively express their religion. My illusion is that if the kid pulled out the Quran a word wouldn't have been said.. But since it was the Bible it's wrong and punishable?? If all minority groups are receiving equal rights then Christians deserve them just as well.. Does everybody understand that? People stand up for yourselves and your children and FIGHT for what you believe in.. The morals and standards this country have once stood for are going down the drain with what's portrayed as acceptable and unacceptable at a very rapid pace.. Parents teach your kids to stand up for themselves and their religious or spiritual beliefs no matter who the conflicting person is, even if it is a teacher or principal.. We will NOT stand for this kind of corruption.. Share this if you agree"

Strawman - no one is getting into trouble for saying god bless you or reading the bible during free reading time.

Interesting that they are telling parents to teach their kids to stand up to teachers and principals... that's gotta help with teaching kids how to behave, and to respect authority figures like, say, future bosses.  Poor kids, they are so going to regret this later when they deconvert, as stats are showing is increasingly likely in this age group.

• Like 2

Strawman - no one is getting into trouble for saying god bless you or reading the bible during free reading time.

Interesting that they are telling parents to teach their kids to stand up to teachers and principals... that's gotta help with teaching kids how to behave, and to respect authority figures like, say, future bosses.  Poor kids, they are so going to regret this later when they deconvert, as stats are showing is increasingly likely in this age group.

Good points, except that there have been some cases. For example: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/Student-suspended-for-saying-Bless-you.html

There are two sides to that story, so whether it was actual religious discrimination or classroom disruption, I don't know, but cases like this are probably what's being referred to.

Another example: http://www.local10.com/news/student-says-teacher-wont-let-him-read-bible-in-class/25822866

This one does look like a legitimate case of religious discrimination.

These are isolated cases, of course, and generally speaking, students can read religious materials during free time or say "bless you" or "God bless you" when someone sneezes. There's definitely not any widespread discrimination against Christians here in America. (The Facebook post appears to have originated in America.) I used to read my Bible a lot in study hall at a public school. It was never a big deal.

Good points, except that there have been some cases. For example: http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/trending/Student-suspended-for-saying-Bless-you.html

There are two sides to that story, so whether it was actual religious discrimination or classroom disruption, I don't know, but cases like this are probably what's being referred to.

Another example: http://www.local10.com/news/student-says-teacher-wont-let-him-read-bible-in-class/25822866

This one does look like a legitimate case of religious discrimination.

These are isolated cases, of course, and generally speaking, students can read religious materials during free time or say "bless you" or "God bless you" when someone sneezes. There's definitely not any widespread discrimination against Christians here in America. (The Facebook post appears to have originated in America.) I used to read my Bible a lot in study hall at a public school. It was never a big deal.

Thanks for the links.  It looks like the school retracted the teacher's prohibition on the bible in free reading time anyway, so it seems like one hell of an exaggeration to claim that kids throughout the US can't read the bible in free reading time.

^^^ Christians exaggerate? No way!

Just kidding. Obviously, the vast, vast majority of claims of discrimination against Christians in the US are either highly exaggerated or totally false altogether.

I am aware of some cases of genuine discrimination against Christians in the USA, but all of them that I'm aware of were resolved in favor of the Christian. In other words, isolated cases of (ultra-mild) persecution do occur in the USA, but they are not systemic, nor are they sanctioned by law.

and then the responses came in:

Jim: What it boils down to is that Christians r soft. We need a revival n this nation. Following god is not something to b ashamed of.

Bob: Yeah I agree with you Jim.. I'll stand up for what I believe in no matter who it is

Jim: I'm with ya man. I feel like I owe u an apology. Haven't been a very good example. But am working hard to be the godly man I need to b. And u can bet I'm not gonna hide it

Sam: I don't know you Jim but I'll agree with you, and we all need to work on our walk with God, it's a daily thing it doesn't happen over night.But what bothers me is people is wanting to take God out of everything, Christmas isn't Merry Christmas no more it's happy holidays,

Jim: Yea it's dumb that God gets taken out of things. But I truly think if we as Christians stepped up and fought for our God like people fight for gay rights or world peace it would open some eyes.

Bob: Seriously.. Strong people have been quiet for too long

Jim: Let's start some stuff bro. If it's for god can't go wrong. And would definitely get plenty of support. All it takes is one to start somethin.

*facepalm*

and then the responses came in:

Jim: What it boils down to is that Christians r soft. We need a revival n this nation. Following god is not something to b ashamed of.

Bob: Yeah I agree with you Jim.. I'll stand up for what I believe in no matter who it is

Jim: I'm with ya man. I feel like I owe u an apology. Haven't been a very good example. But am working hard to be the godly man I need to b. And u can bet I'm not gonna hide it

Sam: I don't know you Jim but I'll agree with you, and we all need to work on our walk with God, it's a daily thing it doesn't happen over night.But what bothers me is people is wanting to take God out of everything, Christmas isn't Merry Christmas no more it's happy holidays,

Jim: Yea it's dumb that God gets taken out of things. But I truly think if we as Christians stepped up and fought for our God like people fight for gay rights or world peace it would open some eyes.

Bob: Seriously.. Strong people have been quiet for too long

Jim: Let's start some stuff bro. If it's for god can't go wrong. And would definitely get plenty of support. All it takes is one to start somethin.

*facepalm*

I don't really believe kids are getting in trouble for reading the bible during free reading time.  Not just because that is illegal to deny them that right, and not just because I know from experience christians lie about their "persecution".  The main reason I don't believe this is I don't think kids are reading their bible at all.  I went to a religious school where we had 40 bibles on the back shelf in every classroom, and I was the only one who ever pulled one off and read it.  And I only started doing that when I had already read ahead in my science book or didn't have a novel to read.  

I simply doubt that kids will willingly read a bible with all of the other distractions that are available to them today...

But what bothers me is people is wanting to take God out of everything, Christmas isn't Merry Christmas no more it's happy holidays,

It's mind boggling how many people so foolishly don't recognize that "happy holidays" INCLUDES CHRISTMAS! It's a general greeting during the season that includes Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa and New Years. These arrogant Christian dominionists want EVERYTHING to be centered around their precious religion, all other religions and causes be damned.

• Like 3

But what bothers me is people is wanting to take God out of everything, Christmas isn't Merry Christmas no more it's happy holidays,

It's mind boggling how many people so foolishly don't recognize that "happy holidays" INCLUDES CHRISTMAS! It's a general greeting during the season that includes Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Christmas, Kwanzaa and New Years. These arrogant Christian dominionists want EVERYTHING to be centered around their precious religion, all other religions and causes be damned.

Right, and ............ to me the individuals in the thread are talking about instituting a theocracy. It's pretty benign, it's just one thread in the expanse of cyberspace but it would not surprise me if we saw more social acceptance of christian ideaology embedded in our public laws as more fear of the Muslim boogeyman is whipped up amongst the collective and thus becoming no less than what they fear.

• Like 1

(Maybe the kids are getting in trouble for sleeping when they're supposed to be reading. The Bible, especially the begats business, can be practically a sleep aid in literary form... heh heh...) As for the boogeyman response, arguably the whole reason evangelical Christianity got the power it has in modern politics is a result of the Red Scare, first in the 1920s, and then in the Cold War. ("under God" added to the Pledge of Allegiance, for example...) So, I wouldn't be at all surprised if the whole boogeyman thing is cooked up exactly for that sort of response...