Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

Here's the video if you wish to listen, I didn't bother.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=951041818259609&fref=nf

I've seen livelier corpses than those people. They play their instruments like a Savant overdosing on Lunesta.

Lol.

Goodbye Jesus

So a video of a recent Bethel song appeared on my timeline. I honestly really liked Jesus Culture/Bethel until I started looking behind the words. Anyway, there is a quoted lyric beneath the video that is really, very telling in my opinion.

"I stand, with so many questions. But You know, all of the answers. And whether, this side of Heaven, I know that You are the Healer."

Yeah, so don't bother asking any questions,god has all the answers anyway and he's probably not going to tell you them. Ha!

Here's the video if you wish to listen, I didn't bother.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=951041818259609&fref=nf

I've seen livelier corpses than those people. They play their instruments like a Savant overdosing on Lunesta. I got a few lines in before I started dozing off myself. What's with the "sing around the campfire" videos I've been seeing lately. Here's one I actually found interesting, though Johnny's probably rolling in his grave. It starts off slow; give it 'til about 45 seconds.

Jhonny was pretty cool about stuff like this actually.

I like Pentatonix. They do a lot of interesting covers, and their original stuff isn't half bad either.

This is probably their best cover, it's with Lindsey Sterling,...

Two of the four guys in the group are openly gay, and no, they aren't dating each other. The short soprano and the tall blond guy.

I believe all of them are some form of Christian. They did a Christmas album that's pretty good. They seem like the type of Christian that I'm mostly okay with, as in not particularly devout and pretty liberal on the whole.

• Like 1

I tried to appreciate Pentatonix on their own. I really did. It just didn't happen. I do love Lindsey Stirling's music, and I like quite a bit of Home Free.

Here's a gem from this morning:

944820_697887366896358_1889043601_n.jpg?

My reply:

They are allowed, just not during classes. If parents want their children reading the Bible at school, they should encourage them to do so--on their free time at school. I carried a Bible openly at the public school I went to, and the only time I was ever told to put it away was when I was reading when I should have been paying attention or working on my schoolwork.

The idea that religious freedoms are oppressed by schools is not true. You can pray, worship, read the Bible (or the Koran or the Witch's Hammer or the Book of Mormon or...), and do anything else you would do at church while you're at school--on your own time, such as recess or lunch break.

Religious studies are not mandated by schools, but that is not the same as "not allowing" religious studies.

• Like 5

^^^ Yep, I took my Bible to my public school and read it during study hall or spare time at the end of other classes. It was never discouraged by the teachers. Right-wingers like to exaggerate things in an attempt to validate their persecution complex.

• Like 2

^^^ Yep, I took my Bible to my public school and read it during study hall or spare time at the end of other classes. It was never discouraged by the teachers. Right-wingers like to exaggerate things in an attempt to validate their persecution complex.

I got crap from students for it, but teachers would shut them down if that criticism took place during class, or if it got out of hand during school-supervised free time (like lunch periods). I was never criticized by any of the staff or faculty of the school itself. Even when I raised an objection about learning evolution to my 8th grade science teacher ('cause I was a good Fundy), he said something along the lines of, "You don't have to believe it. Just learn it." At the time, I dismissed him and refused to answer any question regarding "eviloution," as I put it. I believe this is where "shake my head" would be appropriate.

• Like 1

Jhonny was pretty cool about stuff like this actually.

I like Pentatonix. They do a lot of interesting covers, and their original stuff isn't half bad either.

This is probably their best cover, it's with Lindsey Sterling,...

Two of the four guys in the group are openly gay, and no, they aren't dating each other. The short soprano and the tall blond guy.

I believe all of them are some form of Christian. They did a Christmas album that's pretty good. They seem like the type of Christian that I'm mostly okay with, as in not particularly devout and pretty liberal on the whole.

Completely off topic: God damn I forgot how much I love (all) her Zelda medley songs (so far). That is all...

(Edit: Correction)

^ That shit makes me twitch.

The Watchtower and Awake are again the top 1 and 2 magazines in the world. (JW.ORG)

Well, when your marketing department works for free, consists essentially of all your members, and gives the magazines away to everyone whose doors they knock on, what else would you expect?

• Like 3

4c910027dfc119199c1323587b04609e.jpg

Except at a hospital people generally get better.

• Like 8

Ohhhh, burn. haha

4c910027dfc119199c1323587b04609e.jpg

no wonder they charges a lot of money for being there :lol:

The Watchtower and Awake are again the top 1 and 2 magazines in the world. (JW.ORG)

Well, when your marketing department works for free, consists essentially of all your members, and gives the magazines away to everyone whose doors they knock on, what else would you expect?

Wait… according to them,their magazines are the top in the world. Biased much?

I use them in the litter box   :D, well, I used to until I decided getting woken early on a Saturday to hear their dribble was annoying - then I answered the door nude one morning - they haven't come back.  :D

• Like 4

11070774_10153277033872384_5257763969461

UGGGHHH. If God DOES answer all our prayers, then perhaps he should make it clearer instead of sitting up there on his high-horse expecting us to trust him. Fuck.

11070774_10153277033872384_5257763969461

UGGGHHH. If God DOES answer all our prayers, then perhaps he should make it clearer instead of sitting up there on his high-horse expecting us to trust him. Fuck.

My biggest pet peeve "answer"!! Ugh

Joyce Meyer has a cartoon now? Gack

Joyce Meyer has a cartoon now? Gack

^ that was great. And Joyce would approve because of the speaking in tongues

• Like 2

This is part of a post from a fundie apologist friend of mine.  The quotes in blue are excerpts from my argument that he's replying to.  For context, I'm arguing that Christian morality is every bit as relativistic as atheist morality.

"Obviously this is an arbitrary standard for comparison, and could be attacked as being relativistic. However, the morality of Christianity is vulnerable to the same objection."
Not really. Christian morality by definition is the objective moral standard.

"Usually, the standard for comparison is based on which code causes the greatest human suffering or happiness."
That might define a person's values, but morality entails "oughtness," which appeals to a moral authority. Most atheists I've encountered do the same thing - they equivocate an objective value standard (avoiding harm and suffering) to an objective moral standard. Both can be measured objectively, but only Christians can rightly appeal to a moral authority.

Well, you've got me there.  If you define Christian morality to be the objective moral standard, then by your definitions, it is!  On the other hand, I could also win an argument about who has the best pet by defining my cat to be the greatest pet that ever lived!  Easy win!

The second one is just as ridiculous.  In the first sentence he redefines morality to include the requirement that it appeal to an objective moral authority.  Then he uses his definition to conclude that only Christians have objective morality because Atheists can't appeal to an objective moral authority.

Ugg.  I'm sorry, but if you put your conclusions in your definitions and then use those definitions to prove your conclusions, then you fail at reason.
  • Like 3

10636243_10152868562073752_7654043518110

10246479_571028296346192_735338975866708

LOATHE this "share if..." and "like if..." crap.

• Like 3

I'm not going to post the actual statements given the names and dates are pretty specific, but there's a current exchange going on between several of my friends on Facebook, all surrounding the death of someone (a Christian). She wasn't even 40, and battled cancer for several years before her death.

"Heaven is rejoicing at the arrival of their daughter"

"God be praised"

"She went home to her savior"

"She is finally alive"

There's also the obligatory verses about how she's only sleeping, how God will come again, how he is to be praised for all his works are wonderful. Oh, and of course, pray comfort for the family.

My mother died from cancer. We didn't want prayers. We didn't want people around. We didn't care about the platitudes. We didn't need meals, or call after call asking if folks could come by to talk to us. There was one person who we hadn't talked to in ten years. She asked if she could come by. We asked for privacy. She asked again. We declined. She asked again, and we told her we'd really rather not. She showed up anyway. My Dad was nice to her. I refused to talk to her.

I despise the Christian response to death. They mourn their lives, and celebrate the end. Fundamentalist Christianity is a hair's width from the Kool-Aid cults. Drink up and get it over with, already.

• Like 8

10636243_10152868562073752_7654043518110

"Show up, sit down, shut up, and don't forget your money."

I really hate the "Sometimes God ..." blobs. I also hate the "He's trying to..." shit. Isn't God supposed to be omnipotent? So what's with the "trying"?

Two of them today:

Sometimes God doesn't change your situation because He is trying to change your heart."

"Sometimes God allows things to fall apart so better things can fall together."

Sigh. How about this:

"Sometimes God predestines someone to eternal torment, because He's trying to remind us that He can."

or

"Sometimes God drowns kittens and puppies and bunnies because humans are evil."

or

"Sometimes God buries 6000-yr old fossils, just to fuck with our minds."

or

"Sometimes God torments entire families, just because he's trying to win a bet with Satan."

• Like 6