Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

I'm ashamed to admit I tried the Ezekiel bread once. It was kind of popular in the low-carb crowd at one point for the whole grains. I wasn't wild about it.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/how-could-you-boycott-a-cookie

The fb comments on this are so hateful, it just makes me want to vomit. Christian luuuuuuvvvv, for sure. I especially like the "skull smashing" guy.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/how-could-you-boycott-a-cookie

The fb comments on this are so hateful, it just makes me want to vomit. Christian luuuuuuvvvv, for sure. I especially like the "skull smashing" guy.

Inbred retards.

WELL! Buying Oreos next shopping trip. I think that kind of awesomeness needs to be rewarded. Also, Oreo needs to come out with a package of cookies with rainbow-colored fillings. I suddenly want that like a dying man wants, well, Oreos.

http://www.buzzfeed....oycott-a-cookie

Inbred retards.

Reminds me of this. And makes me happy.

‎"Whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, and takes off the relish of spiritual things--that to you is sin." Susannah Wesley, John Wesley's mother - too true

The fuck is that even supposed to mean?

"Anything that really makes you think is bad."

George Takei posted this on his FB fan page.

28235048384825164463353.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks for the link. Just added Oreos to my shopping list!

I always liked George Takei in ST, but seriously, since he's become politically active I've just gone all googly-eyed over him. What an awesome person. And I love how he's comparing homophobia to racism--I see a lot of parallels in the two bigotries as well, right up to realizing that this crescendo of anti-gay hysteria is the marker of its death throes.

• Like 3

2 goodies today, and my 2 smart-ass answers. oh well, couldn't resist.

1. "Dear God, thank you for this beautful life and please forgive me if i don't love it enough"

my reply: "YES! I too have felt crushing, religion-imposed guilt for not loving life enough. and pretty much everything else too. I'm so sorry Lord for existing!"

2. "I breathe Jesus"

my reply: "No wonder you're asthmatic"

all in good fun, i'm sure my fundie friends and family will not be offended :/

• Like 1

GREAT ANSWERS!

I'm sure they'll get erased lickety-split tho.

GREAT ANSWERS!

I'm sure they'll get erased lickety-split tho.

erasing of something like that says the person should not be on facebook

Indeed. This actually turned into a heated (but surprisingly level headed and coherent) debate on one of my friend's status updates recently. This just turned into gold. I laughed, I cried, it was better than cats. Names have been changed. Combo Breaker is my hero. And here it is:

FUNDY FRIEND #1: [status update] Dear Oreo: what does sex have to do with a cookie? I found you delicious for so much of my life, Oreo, but now you have mixed your cookie with things cookies ought not be mixed with, and I have a bad taste in my mouth and I do not think I will be eating you anymore.

FUNDY #2: Trader Joes 'joe joe's' are like oreos times 1,000. And no sex. #modestishottest

FUNDY FRIEND #1: Seriously though. Why have we allowed our culture to get to this point where I am no longer buying a coffee, I'm no longer buying a cookie, I'm no longer just shopping for clothes or householdgoods... It's all got some political/social message being promoted.

FUNDY #3: Or see a movie...or buy an album...remember when we had no clue who our favorite artists were going to vote for? BOO!

FUNDY FRIEND #1: Like... Fair trade beans at a coffee shop is one thing. Those two are related. But a cookie promoting sexual orientation? Why?

FUNDY #4: It's so unnecessary

FUNDY #5: It all comes down to densensitization...

FUNDY #6: It makes me sad that someone would stop using a product because of a single image or idea. It would be like never watching movies that are produced by people with certain political views with which you disagree. It changes nothing except that now you are going without something you enjoy.

FUNDY FRIEND #1: I rarely eat Oreos anyways, and rarely eat the brand when I have something resembling an Oreo. And stance on homosexuality aside, I'm tired that a cookie can't just be a cookie! Why can't a cookie just be a cookie. Why does a cookie have to be a message in support of bedroom activities and lustful affinities? Why can't it just be a freaking COOKIE

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER #1 (and thus will end the circle jerk): Alright FUNDY FRIEND #1, even though I know you're quite religious and you know that I'm gay, we've always been cool with each other. But if you're going to stop eating Oreo's because of a rainbow picture, you're going to also have to defriend me here- you'd be setting a double standard otherwise. First of all, nowhere ANYWHERE on that image are the words SEX or any implications of the word or act. I do believe "Proudly support love" does imply exactly what it says- supporting LOVE. (Pretty sure that's what Jesus/God wants too, right? I think they'd give Nabisco a high five on this.) It's YOU, and many others who are saying the same things you are and vowing to boycott Oreo, who are trying to make it about sex. Also, let's be honest. This isn't because you're annoyed with products and companies having "some political/social message being promoted"- because if that Oreo ad had said anything about promoting "traditional marriage" or being pro-life, you'd have been proud of Oreo/Nabisco and bought 10 packages of Oreos the next day. No matter what your personal beliefs are (which you are free to have openly in this FREE country,) they are not supposed to govern others' lives. You can say what you want and boycott Oreo til you're blue in the face. But this is a civil rights issue and as it becomes more prevalent, companies and prominent people are going to start voicing their views more and more. On a note unrelated to the Oreo photo but related to the issue, Jesus never said anything about homosexuals. He just didn't. If you're going to throw the couple of loosely translated NT verses at me about homosexuality, I'll ask you about a couple more verses that are not-so loosely translated that essentially promote racism and slavery in the name of the Lord (lots of anti-semitism.)

clap.gifclap.gif

FUNDY #5 (again): The bottom line is identity. People are no longer defined by who they are as daughters/sons knit together in their mother's wombs and called "fearfully and wonderfully made". It's about identity. Not to interrupt your convo here w/ FUNDY FRIEND #1 or be rude at all to you, COMBO BREAKER, but FUNDY FRIEND #1 and I are in a community where we've seen people set free from homosexuality (and drug addiction, alcoholism, etc) b/c when identity is spoken over you, something just changes. I used to say, "I am a therapist", but now I say, "I am a daughter" and He chooses to use my education, gifts, talents, and abilities for His glory. I am daughter and that's all that really matters. Regarding FUNDY FRIEND #1 unfriending you, that's not who she is. Oreo is a company, not a person and from what I know about FUNDY FRIEND #1, she's a pretty awesome person who knows how to love. I, too, have friends who are living the homosexual lifestyle just as I have friends who are living in a male/female non-married rel'p as they cohabitate and I'm not in agreement w/ either, but they know that I love them dearly and the moment things go bad (as they have), they can call on me to encourage them and continue speaking identity over them. Bottom line, Christianity is about loving all people, but it's not complacent. We agree w/ God and what He says about sin, all sin. It's all separation from God and that includes unforgiveness/bitterness, pride, lust, envy, and other sins a lot of people don't often mention. It's not this sin over that sin...we agree w/ what God says about all sin and He also says that love covers a multitude of sins, so we choose love.

FUNDY #6: I don't like that either, FUNDY FRIEND #1. That was one of the first things the Lord changed in me when I came to Him... Sanctified speech. Eat the cookie in the rest of a sanctified mind.

FUNDY FRIEND #1: FUNDY #6, that gets in to the meat sacrificed to idols thing. Do I think it's a sin to eat an Oreo now? No. If I am at a party am I really going to think about it? No. Do I even buy Oreos in the first place so that I can stop buying them? I do not. So I cannot stop what I have not started.

COMBO BREAKER - I am not going to defriend you. I'm not actually stopping eating cookies because of a picture. I think due to the nature of what it means to you, and to me, we're going to have a different interpretation. In my mind, the thing the differentiates just supporting love verses supporting love using the rainbow creme thing they did is that they are supporting it in the name of a sexual orientation, to me that is making it about sex. Maybe that's not what it makes you think of. I can understand that it's more predominantly a civil rights issue for you. I understand that. I disagree on certain things you say and biblical interpretation, but I do not want to enter in to that argument with you. Arguments don't solve much of anything. I just don't see why a cookie has to have a message attached to it.

Because you mentioned it: I seriously don't go out and buy something when it starts supporting something I am for.

I think the whole concept is stupid.

When I want to give to a cause or a person, I do not think "I will go buy a cookie! I will go buy a coffee! I will go shop at X store so they can donate a few cents from my purchase towards whatever." I go to the organization, cause, person, etc that I want to support and I support it directly. If I want a cookie, I will buy a cookie. If I want to support a cause, I will support that cause directly. When I shop at a store, I keep that store open, and keeping that store open provides jobs for all the people working there. So my money is going to those people. They're then doing whatever they want with that money. Oh no! I'm supporting their lifestyle! Illogical.

Yes, I know I used language in this post and it probably seems like I am waffling around right now. I apologize for that. It was misleading of me to do so. In my head I was making a few puns: I'm about to cut all sugars, sweets, nastiness and junk outta my life, I OD'd on sugar yesterday and it made me sick so I am really motivated to not eat sweets, and then I saw that Oreo ad which I personally saw as irrelevant to a cookie as well as the fact that it is indeed something I disagree with ideologically. Also, due to my inner high schooler, all I can think about in this whole thing is cream filling. . . Which is not what I want to think about while eating an Oreo. Right now that's all I can think about when I think of Oreos. Kind of ruins them for me. Let the reader understand.

C-C-C-Combo Breaker #1: Ok just one more thing. Homosexuality isn't a lifestyle. It's not. I hate that term. It's no more a lifestyle than there is a heterosexual lifestyle. Let's define it.

noun

1. the habits, attitudes, tastes, moral standards, economic level, etc., that together constitute the mode of living of an individual or group.

My habits- getting where I'm going right on time (never too early or too late). Instagramming to "wind down" before falling asleep. Correcting my girlfriend when she pronounces "often" phonetically because it's a new thing I learned. I am mostly a homebody, love my dogs and my girlfriend, and playing in my bands.

My attitudes- I'm generally a pretty positive person. I think I'm pretty well adjusted and humbled, and I make sure to reflect on all of the things that I'm grateful for in my life before I fall asleep.

My tastes- I love all kinds of food, indie/folk music is my favorite but I also love bands like dream theater, i prefer to dress pretty casually and don't care for dresses or girliness, though I do wear makeup and have long hair. I love humorous television an movies.

My moral standards- probably pretty similar to many Christians- do unto others, love thy neighbor.. the golden rule is the best one though, in my opinion. Love and let love. I don't practice or promote promiscuity, doing drugs or being lewd. I am monogamous and like to take care of myself.

Economic level- I mean, I think a majority of us (you and me) are middle class more or less? This one I don't think I need to get into to make my point.

My point, right- we all tend to group together with like minded people who have a similar lifestyle. I just described my lifestyle, and many other people's of all walks of life. Nothing about it has anything to do with being gay (except where I specifically refer to my girlfriend but that can be interchanged with boy/wife/husband/brother/whatever and still apply).

FUNDY FRIEND #1: When I used the word lifestyle I wasn't specifically referring to homosexuality. I was thinking of paying for eating meat, supporting their Hinduism, their smoking habit - whatever it might be. Paying a company indirectly pays the workers..... And anything they do. That's why I used the word lifestyle in the sentence in which I used the word lifestyle. I was saying that really when you look at it money is always going to someone eventually who does something you disagree with. For clarity's sake.

C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER #1: thanks FUNDY FRIEND #1, just to clarify my last comment was mainly meant for your friend, FUNDY #5.

FUNDY #7: FUNDY #5, I think it is important to note that many people who profess to be Christians do not share in the genuine love that you are talking about showing to people regardless of their sexual preference. I don't agree with some of the things you said, but I can appreciate that you seem to love others and show them love despite the things that people do or are that you object to. But the problem is that many, many Christians do NOT treat people, outside of their interpretation of an appropriate lifestyle, with kindness and love. There are many people who seem to confuse "not being complacent with sin" with "feeling entitled to openly judge and condemn others because of the people they have sex with". You don't seem like a person who does that, and you might already know this, but there is a lot of hate parading as "non-complacency towards sin". And if people are genuinely interested in bringing others to Christ, they should probably let the Holy Spirit do His thing and they can do theirs, which is to show love and emulate Christ. We need Christians to act like Christ.

FUNDY FRIEND #1: FUNDY #7, I think a lot of that is largely due to an incomplete gospel that came up in the late 1800s that focuses only on salvation and is basically "what do I get out of this deal?" instead of presenting the full picture, which is that there is a King, He made the earth, He owns all of the earth, He entrusted us with the earth, He wants to work with us on managing the earth, we screwed up and sinned because of a liar, God created hell as punishment for the liar, the liar got angry and is trying to take everyone down with him, God chose a man and blessed him so that he had many offspring which became Israel and God made the law which is summed up in loving God/serving God/loving others/serving others and resisting that liar who wants to pull people down to hell with him, and set Israel to be an example of how to manage the earth, they missed the point and kept straying from it, He physically stepped down on to the planet to be like "hey, guys, this is how you do it, watch Me," showed us a way to live, saved us from the liar who wants to pull us down to his place of punishment, told us that the way we were living was leading us towards the place of punishment with the liar and that we need to repent, He still calls for a change of our ways as well as our hearts, He still wants us to manage the earth, and He's coming back again and will take account of what we did, and will give out reward and punishment. like, the salvation part is a very real part of that gospel. but just looking at the salvation part is looking only at what I get. not at the fact that the one who made me and made all that is around me has an intention for me and for all that is around me and would very much like for me to operate within that intention . . . .

FUNDY #7: We went to the same private Christian school so I feel like I probably don't need to qualify my religious experience, but I'll do it just in case. I was a churchgoer four times a week, was a youth leader, was in every Bible study ever offered. I am theologically sound and absolutely understand what you're saying. I already know the Gospel. I have a pretty varied social experience with Christians and non-Christians alike. And what you're describing is true; I certainly know many Christians who (not that I know their heart) appear to lead complacent, guilt-free lives because they are "saved" and that's the end of the story for them. But I know far more passionate, intelligent individuals who are highly religious but are not highly Christ-like. The other thing that I find so frustrating about the Christian climate is that people within the church are constantly trying to use theology and Christian ideologies to communicate with people who are not within the church. That does not work. That's like me telling you to follow the rules of basketball when you're playing volleyball. It's ignorant, and it isn't going to attract anyone to Christ. I will also qualify that it isn't everyone's job to make Jesus look like a quick save button instead of a lifestyle. But unless Christ has called you to speak into someone's life, I don't understand why there are so many people who feel like it's fine to constantly condemn the sin of others. I don't walk up to the self-righteous Pharisees around me and say "Hey, I noticed all these things about you that I think God doesn't like, you should really work on that." Christianity isn't a witnessing blanket that constantly needs to shoutshoutshout that everyone is a sinner. We know. Person-to-person love, like what FUNDY #5 is describing, is far more effective. I know a lot of what I'm saying doesn't apply to anyone in this thread, but I still see the value of explaining this perspective so that well-intentioned Christians can understand that they are walking into a situation that has a lot of groundwork laid by Christians who have spoken only condemnation into the lives of others. That's all. You're right FUNDY FRIEND #1, absolutely. But like you said, God is the one who continually convicts others.

FUNDY FREIND #1: yup. i went through an evangelism program where we were, in the bible belt, out for 3 hours a day minimally engaging with people. everyone's saved. no one was living like it. i don't get bothered when people who don't claim to be a Christian are living however they'd like to. i still believe God is God and that they will have to account to Him for it, but I can not change them through argument. anything you can be argued in to, you can be argued out of. an irrefutable experience, however... I believe Paul addressed this by saying he did not come with lofty words but in the power of God. i was in a room the other day, we were having a teen conference, and a friend of mine who was here for a 3 month program (towards the end of the 3 months) at the place i am currently ministering at is a youth leader back home... she saw some teens who were being a little overly affectionate. some girl had her head resting against a guy's thigh near the knee. he was sitting on the top of the back of a chair, she was sitting in a nearby chair. the girl i was with as well as another girl really wanted to run over to those teens and stop the PDA. i was just like... *facepalm* you are not a voice in their lives, you don't know what their situation is like, you don't know. and while PDA is culturally meh and while the way they are resting against each other is not wise, they're not sinning. they are probably here (at a youth conference) with a leader who has actually developed a relationship and knows where they are at. they may have bigger things they are dealing with than a little PDA... random strangers running up to them and chewing them out is probably just going to cause them to put up a wall in their hearts and not hear anything being taught. pretty sure the message later that night was on holiness anyways. hahaha

FUNDY #7: That's a great point. I'm glad your thinking is sound. :)

FUNDY FRIEND #1: people get zealous and have great intentions but don't think things through. i'm guilty of doing the same. they have a rule at the inner city ministry i go to where you don't correct the kids if you don't have a relationship with them and even then, it's limited. you don't walk up to someone and tell them to dress more modest. it's a food pantry & kitchen and they give food to anyone regardless of standing with the Lord. they have a prayer room going the whole time, with live worship music and prayer being blasted over the speakers, so you're gonna hear it, but they're not going to turn you away just because you're not a Christian. they're in there working with people just coming out of or still stuck in prostitution, gangs, abusive home life, like... come on. if someone just came out of being sex trafficked, they have bigger issues than their language and whether or not they're up to your bubble standard of dress going on right now. let the people who know them who invest into their lives really make the call there. God's pretty good at working with the "yes" in their hearts. there's also a point where maturity is necessary... like i'm not saying never call someone out ever. but use wisdom, don't react. as James says - slow to speak, slow to anger, quick to listen. pause. breathe. assess. pray. seek God's direction always. Jesus only did what He saw the Father leading Him in.

(So, you can see why I've been able to tolerate still being in ministry. They're still fundy and there's a lot I disagree with, but they're surprisingly level-headed.)

• Like 1

ha, one of the OPs has been deleted

Inorbit, I read your whole post. While I fundamentally disagree with most of your friends (see what I did there?) I was pleased to see that they are willing to reason.

Fundy #1 seemed to try to worm his/her way out of some of their earlier assertions and Fundy #7 (I think?) is refreshingly non-judgmental and wise beyond their years. I read a couple of other posts that I liked as well.

I was also getting annoyed with the "lifestyle" word before your friend brought it up. I said "C-C-C-Combo Breaker like I was back at my buddy's SNES. Love it.

EDIT: I can attest to the fact that there are a lot of really great Christians out there working in ministry. A lot. It is unfortunate that for as great as they can be individually some of their positions that the group holds as a whole (Gay marriage for one) can be so damaging to the lives of others.

Buzzfeed? More like Buzzkill :-)

I think I'm gonna buy a package of Oreos tomorrow. A BIG package. haha... package...

Are those xtians commenting on the Oreos article for real? If they want to hold on to 13th century attitudes, perhaps they can do without all the luxuries of modern life. They would soon have much more to moan about than some cookie brand's support for the right of people to have sex with whom ever they choose.

• Like 1

You know that "First World Problems" meme? Maybe we should start one for "Modern Christian Problems" or something. EDIT: Or, tie it into how "persecuted" they are, somehow.

• Like 2

Are those xtians commenting on the Oreos article for real? If they want to hold on to 13th century attitudes, perhaps they can do without all the luxuries of modern life. They would soon have much more to moan about than some cookie brand's support for the right of people to have sex with whom ever they choose.

Simple fact: if christians were to be persecuted, most would leave the faith.

• Like 3

602375_10151002939582355_266701832_n.jpg

I'm going to have to unfriend this person. she's constantly posting stuff like this and she's just a distant relative that I don't really know anyway.

Here's another one...

380180_177231529070243_642525594_n.jpg

There's also one with a teardrop that says "Sending my love to Heaven Like and share this TEAR-DROP if you are missing love one's that are in Heaven too." The picture was way to big for me to post. She also had other pictures bashing Obama, talking about closing our borders and forcing everyone to speak English. Yeah, I'm definitely unfriending her.

I'm going to have to unfriend this person. she's constantly posting stuff like this and she's just a distant relative that I don't really know anyway.

You could just hide her posts and allow her the benefit of your shared wisdom. ;)

Do the unsubscribe + only important, had to do that to two women today.