Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

Wow, that's a Christian with a persecution complex right there.

Couldn't hold my tongue on this one. I have a lot of friends going through some really tough stuff right now, many of them still believers. They don't need to be hearing this kind of crap right now. My comment is the last one:

w225374337.png

And here was their reply:

"I've been in seasons where quotes like this would more likely anger me than comfort me. I also lean towards hating one-liners for precisely the reason inorbit stated - this is quick, to the point, hitting on something that needs a lot more context and unpacking. I think the main point of it is spot on, though. Anxiety, that is, willing agreement with fear and thus willing denial of God's ultimate sovereignty and good intent, is sin and a form accusation against Him.

For example, my 12-year depression, as much as I want to say "I'm just wired melancholy," and rattle off my family history and all the fancy things I learned as a pre-med studying abnormal psychology, cleared up immensely when I made a willing choice to praise God for all circumstances and situations.

I think the place where it becomes sin is in the fight - or lack thereof. Do I still have low days? Yes. Less often. And I fight them. I press in to Him more instead of just letting it eat my lunch. Depression and anxiety aren't the same thing. Similar, though, and often comorbid. I think what Stuart's getting to here is the root: ultimately, scripture calls us to cast anxiety on Him. Revelation of who He is and how able and sovereign He is and the reality that He cares and knows what He is doing eliminates the need to be anxious.

Hope this made sense. "

I really want to say something about how this line of thinking is fundamentally flawed, but I'm not sure how to say it clearly, as my own eyes have only recently been opened to it. Basically, my friend is failing to see the manipulation and "loaded dice" of the situation: Here is a god who is invisible, ethereal, and transcendent... yet "personal"... who created us as relational, rational creatures... in a world that is "fallen" and ergo there is a sort of separation or veil between the seen and the unseen... But we are to have "faith," which goes against emotional, logical, and instinctive reaction to trials and difficulties. When we have trouble perceiving a deity that is difficult to perceive by the very bounds and limits of the universe as it has been created (or by our own screw up or however they work that out), we are shamed for doing wrong by not doing perfectly that which is impossible for us to do (whether through "original sin" or intended design is a moot point. Either way, our inability is a fact that is out of our hands).

I don't know how to say this clearer. Any help here from the less recently deconverted?

This may have already been posted here but an old college friend actually posted it.

realistic_coexist1.jpg?w=614&h=614

I feel fucking sick.

AAAAGHH! I HATE this! I was just sitting on the couch watching TV and dad comes marching in to the living room and smacks down a piece of paper he printed this same thing on and says "THAT'S what those "Coexist" bumper stickers REALLY mean!"

I've since come back from an anime convention with a "Coexist" anime-themed t-shirt and he almost flipped out until he realized the "C" was a symbol from Sailor Moon and the "o" was a pokeball. The money I had spent on the shirt went to the tsunami-relief effort in Japan.

I'm going to get a Coexist sticker and slap it on my car just to piss him off one day.

• Like 1

This was posted by a coworker who rarely actually posts anything, but when he does, it's this kind of crap:

Thank God every morning when you get up that you have something to do which must be done, whether you like it or not.

For there is a difference between knowing God and knowing about God. When you truly know God, you have energy to serve him, boldness to share him, and contentment in him.

One thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve..

Be a good zombie everyone!

inorbit, if I was talking to this person, I'd tell that bitch that I struggle with depression, and all that kind of thinking did to me was make me attempt suicide. Twice. Because their fucking god NEVER ANSWERED ME, and I was told, over and over, that I WAS SINNING.

If this idiot is really premed ANYTHING, s/he has to ignore every single bit of that training to think "pressing into Gawud" actually helps. And it nearly killed me. You can tell her/him that, that you have spoken to someone that this kind of thinking was potentially LETHAL TO.

I found this on my fundie friend's FB page and was confused cause it was hilarious and we know Christians don't have a sense of humor.

school.jpg

then I saw his next post and I was reassured God is a creepy sadist.

omg.jpg

Sorry about the size, I resized them and everything but God must not want me to resize those two.

This was posted by a coworker who rarely actually posts anything, but when he does, it's this kind of crap:

Thank God every morning when you get up that you have something to do which must be done, whether you like it or not.

For there is a difference between knowing God and knowing about God. When you truly know God, you have energy to serve him, boldness to share him, and contentment in him.

One thing I do know: the only ones among you who will be really happy are those who will have sought and found how to serve..

Whether you like it or not.

No wait, free will.

No wait....eh, whatever.

Whether you like it or not.

No wait, free will.

No wait....eh, whatever.

Supernatural.

It can't be explained by us, but God knows. And we're not allowed to ask questions about it either, because it goes beyond what we can understand.

Again, not posted by a fundie, but straight from some crazy fundies at ComicCon. I laughed. A lot.

Behold, a bible tract that tells you what to be afraid of!!!

524201_10150920459321370_337678983_n.jpg

Translation: don't do ANYTHING!!!

• Like 1

Again, not posted by a fundie, but straight from some crazy fundies at ComicCon. I laughed. A lot.

That sounds like a list of items that were banned at the schools I went to.

A couple of things though:

1) Is vegetarianism seriously on there? Is this some kind of comic I don't know about?

2) Their spelling of marijuana. lmao_99.gif

Dude, some US christians really do get their panties in a bunch over vegetarians. I shit you not. I was a vegetarian for 6 years of my life (am still mostly one, but because I'm too lazy to cook meat most of the time, heh) and got all kinds of hell for it. I was even told, more than once, that I shouldn't be a vegetarian because Hitler was one. The unreasonable level of hostility towards vegetarians, especially in the US South, is amazing. You'd think we ate babies and puppies, instead of NO MEAT OF ANY KIND.

And I missed the spelling of "Marihuana" till now, OMFG LOL! I was also amused by "Pot Parties." Never heard of those! fun_84.gif

Fail.

that list looks sooooooo familiar from my fundy school days. i'm a bit confused, though, about why car re-birthing is satanic.

Dude, some US christians really do get their panties in a bunch over vegetarians. I shit you not. I was a vegetarian for 6 years of my life (am still mostly one, but because I'm too lazy to cook meat most of the time, heh) and got all kinds of hell for it. I was even told, more than once, that I shouldn't be a vegetarian because Hitler was one. The unreasonable level of hostility towards vegetarians, especially in the US South, is amazing. You'd think we ate babies and puppies, instead of NO MEAT OF ANY KIND.

And I missed the spelling of "Marihuana" till now, OMFG LOL! I was also amused by "Pot Parties." Never heard of those! fun_84.gif

Jesus. I know how Christians do get upset about a lot of things but that's (somehow) taking the crazy to a new level.

Pot parties are kinda like orgies, but with more drugs and open blasphemy. Anything us heathens can do to defy God's great love.

I also just noticed Twilight's on that list. At least they got something right, though not for the reason they intended I suspect. If you throw enough darts at the board you'll eventually hit the bull.

reading that list is still better than reading Twilight.

• Like 4

not on facebook

church sign

bible

Flag

= freedom

no....that would be fascism.

EDIT: not to mention that to be an equation you need an operator in there.

Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross." (Sinclair Lewis)

250653535481599065_FApCERYd_f.jpg

Found on pinterest this morning. pretty sure my sunday's are AWESOME.

^^^ How did they get a picture of Florduh???

• Like 6

^^^ How did they get a picture of Florduh???

lmao_99.gif

• Like 1

250653535481599065_FApCERYd_f.jpg

Found on pinterest this morning. pretty sure my sunday's are AWESOME.

That can't be real.

Well, that rules out pretty much everything at ComicCon.

I wonder if boobies should be added.

Because they're front and center in the pic.