Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

I responded to her on the abortion post about abortion being the reason teh crime rate has dropped compared to predictions 20 yrs ago. She is pro iraq war I may add. here is her response

Wow Tony...I thought you would have responded differently...I guess when God said,"Thou shall not kill" ,it is a part of the bible you don't believe? Personally,I believe this country is in the mess it's in because we are making up our own rules,to suit our flesh and payday is coming.

Rip her a new one, please.

I responded about the iraq war and killing asked her if the iraq war was acceptable: Her response: Everyone will have to stand judgement before the Lord. AHGGG

That reminded me of something my aunt and uncle did about fifteen years ago, right before he was supposed to retire. They bought this huge Winnebago - waaaaaaay more than they could afford. The bragged about how they wouldn't have to pay for it after my uncle retired because by then, "Jesus was gonna rapture us away anyhow. Might as well enjoy this camper while we can."

BTW, he's been retired for more than a decade now and one of their kids took over the payments on the camper.

WendyDoh.gifWendyDoh.gifWendyDoh.gifWendyDoh.gif

Out of curiosity, were they buying into the Y2K scare?

My uncle still has toilet paper left over from that event.

Haha! But why stock up on toilet paper if they were going to be raptured? wink.png

Y2K wasnt specifically a rapture event, it was supposed to be a power grid failure.

But he clearly thought that they would have been raptured before now, right?

My uncle wasn't a fundy, just a conspiracy nut.

So, was the "Jesus was gonna rapture us away anyhow. Might as well enjoy this camper while we can" comment a joke?

I didnt make the one about my uncle buying the camper, that was someone else. I am not Buffetphan.GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

Whoops! I didn't even take notice of the names. I asked her a specific question regarding her uncle and you answered it about your uncle, so all along I thought I was conversing with the same person. wink.png

I got a chuckle out of it, more because that's the sort of thing I manage to do in real life conversations all the time. I once had a whole conversation with a friend, and I was talking about mascara, and he was talking about hair wax. Couldn't work out for the life of me why he was putting mascara in his hair LOL

One nice thing about being a fundie in a church whose membership included a lot of university types and NASA subcontractors: nobody I knew got sucked into Y2K. Now if we'd only been able to think so critically about the religion itself...

I do that too btw BP! I just assume everybody else knows what I'm talking about. Did it today at the doc's. Thankfully my husband knows how to "speak Akheia-ese". I blame the cat.

• Like 1

562936_428722200511884_991515979_n.jpg

sleep.png

so you destroyed forever one of the few cool memes on the internet? the chicks must love that.

• Like 1

296986_332483200177706_1073958883_n.jpg

Just 'cause you're faithful doesn't mean your partner will be...

Imagine buying a 12-pack of those things!

Imagine buying a 12-pack of those things!

Why not? Polygamy was considered normal in the Bible.

• Like 2

The more I hear repressed Christians bleat about fidelity, the more I wonder just how faithful their partners are, like they're talking like that to convince themselves more than anybody else. I can't help it. The way Christians describe sex and marriage sounds either way way creepy or only slightly more enthralling than waiting for the air conditioner repairmen to arrive.

• Like 1

I don't get it.

Why would I want to put a ring on my penis?

I don't get it.

I don't get why people think that one partner abstaining means the other partner has also done so. HPV is transmitted even without actual intercourse, which means that even if a woman has never had any hayloft fun, her groom may have, and can pass along HPV and cervical cancer to his wife. I just hate the black-and-whiteness of the arguments (and I am a black and white person!).

And RR, some people do put rings on their penis, but I won't go into the reasons why. Gawd. Sometimes I know too much. lol

• Like 1

I don't get it.

I don't get why people think that one partner abstaining means the other partner has also done so. HPV is transmitted even without actual intercourse, which means that even if a woman has never had any hayloft fun, her groom may have, and can pass along HPV and cervical cancer to his wife. I just hate the black-and-whiteness of the arguments (and I am a black and white person!).

And RR, some people do put rings on their penis, but I won't go into the reasons why. Gawd. Sometimes I know too much. lol

5 golden cockrings? 7 mistresses a' milking?

I should have left well enough alone. Gawd. Why put my foot in it?

But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. (1 Corinthians 5:11 NIV)

FUNDY 1: It's quite a challenge to understand...but I guess that is what being saved means, you turn from these things.... We have much to work on in our lives as a Christian. Some verses are hard to work through, hey?

FUNDY 2: "claims to be a brother" need to differentiate between unbelievers whom Jesus ate with all the time and those who claim to be Christians but live totally in opposition to Christian morality.

ATHEIST: And yet, people can be well-intentioned and still struggle with issues like addiction. It's complicated. I don't think any of us would cut out a good friend from our lives just because s/he's struggling with an alcohol problem.... Isn't that when we should engage even deeper with them?

FUNDY 2: I think your point is good [insert ATHEIST NAME]! I think what is being driven at here is not addiction but a lifestyle deliberately lived, that comes in the face of basic Christian morality.

ATHEIST: I dunno. This verse does kind of fly in the face of the radical and rebellious love put forward by Christ....

Haven't heard anything back since. I shouldn't have said anything. The OP is a youth pastor. This is public. Gawd, I'm stupid.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not de-closeted so this is as close to the edge as I can ski safely!

But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people. (1 Corinthians 5:11 NIV)

FUNDY 1: It's quite a challenge to understand...but I guess that is what being saved means, you turn from these things.... We have much to work on in our lives as a Christian. Some verses are hard to work through, hey?

FUNDY 2: "claims to be a brother" need to differentiate between unbelievers whom Jesus ate with all the time and those who claim to be Christians but live totally in opposition to Christian morality.

ATHEIST: And yet, people can be well-intentioned and still struggle with issues like addiction. It's complicated. I don't think any of us would cut out a good friend from our lives just because s/he's struggling with an alcohol problem.... Isn't that when we should engage even deeper with them?

FUNDY 2: I think your point is good [insert ATHEIST NAME]! I think what is being driven at here is not addiction but a lifestyle deliberately lived, that comes in the face of basic Christian morality.

ATHEIST: I dunno. This verse does kind of fly in the face of the radical and rebellious love put forward by Christ....

Haven't heard anything back since. I shouldn't have said anything. The OP is a youth pastor. This is public. Gawd, I'm stupid.

EDIT TO ADD: I'm not de-closeted so this is as close to the edge as I can ski safely!

Trigger the avalanche....The ride down is fun. >:)

• Like 1

Trigger the avalanche....The ride down is fun. >smile.png

Oh, No! You can't just go pointing out the obvious contradictions between the teachings of Jesus and those of Paul! ;)

• Like 1

here is what pisses me off: I removed last names

Tony Data has shown that the only reason crime dropped in the 90s was because of abortions. If someone does not want to have a child, they should not be forced to.

Saturday at 5:21pm · LikeUnlike

•  

Sandi Wow Tony...I thought you would have responded differently...I guess when God said,"Thou shall not kill" ,it is a part of the bible you don't believe? Personally,I believe this country is in the mess it's in because we are making up our own rules,to suit our flesh and payday is coming.
    Sunday at 12:47pm · LikeUnlike

•  

Tony gee, I hope your thou shall not kill verse applies to the Iraq wa;r also Making up our own rules? From what I see most proclaiming christians live above their means and are in debt (a sin also). Why do no christians slam Kenneth Copeland who is worth 800 billiomn dollars, is that acceptable?
    Yesterday at 5:57am · LikeUnlike

•  

Sandi Tony, everyone must someday stand before God to give an account of "their own life". The bible says to examine your own life to see if you truly are walking in the light.Neither you nor I will answer for anyone else.
    Yesterday at 4:57pm · LikeUnlike

•  

Tony Was the Iraq war acceptable? To me it was not. 4000 dead kids is not cool plus all the iraqis
    Yesterday at 5:17pm · LikeUnlike

•  

Sandi I love you Tony!!!
    6 hours ago · LikeUnlike

•  

Tony That did not answer my question and it is an immature way of side stepping it. Again: does thou shall not kill apply to the iraq war?
    2 seconds ago · LikeUnlike

Tony: That did not answer my question and it is an immature way of side stepping it. Again: does thou shall not kill apply to the iraq war?

Do I hear crickets?

Tony Data has shown that the only reason crime dropped in the 90s was because of abortions. If someone does not want to have a child, they should not be forced to.

• Sandi Wow Tony...I thought you would have responded differently...I guess when God said,"Thou shall not kill" ,it is a part of the bible you don't believe? Personally,I believe this country is in the mess it's in because we are making up our own rules,to suit our flesh and payday is coming.
  • Tony gee, I hope your thou shall not kill verse applies to the Iraq wa;r also Making up our own rules? From what I see most proclaiming christians live above their means and are in debt (a sin also). Why do no christians slam Kenneth Copeland who is worth 800 billiomn dollars, is that acceptable?
  • Sandi Tony, everyone must someday stand before God to give an account of "their own life". The bible says to examine your own life to see if you truly are walking in the light.Neither you nor I will answer for anyone else.
  • Tony Was the Iraq war acceptable? To me it was not. 4000 dead kids is not cool plus all the iraqis
  • Sandi I love you Tony!!!
    6 hours ago · LikeUnlike
  • Tony That did not answer my question and it is an immature way of side stepping it. Again: does thou shall not kill apply to the iraq war?

Good job showing the double standard.

The Kenneth Copeland claim is a bit off, though. He's filthy rich, but you have him a thousand times richer than he really is. His net worth is a little under $800 million, not billion. http://wiki.answers....land's_networth (That's still way too much money for someone who doesn't have a real job.)

I must say, though, that I'm curious about the crime rate vs abortion thing. For the life of me, I don't see how that could be demonstrably true. The crime rate is based on percentages per capita. The claim that abortion has brought the crime rate down implies that those who would have been born would have had to have been disproportionally criminalistic. I don't see how that could be known with any level of certainty.

Tony: That did not answer my question and it is an immature way of side stepping it. Again: does thou shall not kill apply to the iraq war?

Do I hear crickets?

The common response is that the word "kill" is better translated "murder," and killing in wartime is not "murder." And they have forgotten just war theory, so they tend to go along with the warmongers' propaganda and believe that all wars are to protect our freedom... <sigh>

Probably best for me not to touch the abortion topic...

• Sandi Wow Tony...I thought you would have responded differently...I guess when God said,"Thou shall not kill" ,it is a part of the bible you don't believe? Personally,I believe this country is in the mess it's in because we are making up our own rules,to suit our flesh and payday is coming.
  • Tony gee, I hope your thou shall not kill verse applies to the Iraq wa;r also Making up our own rules? From what I see most proclaiming christians live above their means and are in debt (a sin also). Why do no christians slam Kenneth Copeland who is worth 800 billiomn dollars, is that acceptable?
  • Sandi Tony, everyone must someday stand before God to give an account of "their own life". The bible says to examine your own life to see if you truly are walking in the light.Neither you nor I will answer for anyone else.
  • Tony Was the Iraq war acceptable? To me it was not. 4000 dead kids is not cool plus all the iraqis
    6 hours ago · LikeUnlike
  • Tony That did not answer my question and it is an immature way of side stepping it. Again: does thou shall not kill apply to the iraq war?

Good job showing the double standard.

The Kenneth Copeland claim is a bit off, though. He's filthy rich, but you have him a thousand times richer than he really is. His net worth is a little under $800 million, not billion. http://wiki.answers....'s_networth (That's still way too much money for someone who doesn't have a real job.)

I must say, though, that I'm curious about the crime rate vs abortion thing. For the life of me, I don't see how that could be demonstrably true. The crime rate is based on percentages per capita. The claim that abortion has brought the crime rate down implies that those who would have been born would have had to have been disproportionally criminalistic. I don't see how that could be known with any level of certainty.

The billion is my mistake, I meant millions. The idea is still the same. As for abortion, it is in the book freakenomics. They were pricting a huge crime increase by 1990 (from models in the 70s) and it actually went the other way and that is what stood out more than anything else. Abortions cut down on unwanted children, whoa re more than likely going to be criminals.

6 hours ago · LikeUnlike

She dosent have the intellectual capcivity to respond probably, or the capcivity to realize how fucked up her position is.

Even before I was having doubts, a couple of us joined up on a christian board and were shocked by how assholish christians were. On one board you were not allow to question the war or george bush. It was against the TOS. really hits home when you relize the biggest assholes are fundys.

6 hours ago · LikeUnlike

She dosent have the intellectual capcivity to respond probably, or the capcivity to realize how fucked up her position is.

Of that I am sure: her whole life is centered around herself and what ever church her and my uncle are going to and trying keep up with the joneses. She mentioned athat after my uncle retires next yr they are thinking of moving to new zealand. She has never been there or reseaerched it, but they probably prayed about and said The Lord Wants us to move there.

6 hours ago · LikeUnlike

Of that I am sure: her whole life is centered around herself and what ever church her and my uncle are going to and trying keep up with the joneses. She mentioned athat after my uncle retires next yr they are thinking of moving to new zealand. She has never been there or reseaerched it, but they probably prayed about and said The Lord Wants us to move there.

My family wanted to move to Africa, the morons really really dont understand how politically unstable it is, they think God would protect them but honesty...

561088_508224125858805_418755151_n.jpg