Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

If your Christian friend wants to pull the context trump card, you might want to mention the context in which Paul was writing that letter to the Christians in Rome. Yes, that was a REALLY pro-Christian government they were living under (eyeroll). 1 Peter chapter 2 is also perfect for this.

True. Oh and Christians never cherry pick, right? Ha. :-) I'll check out 1 Peter 2

Well, I did the Romans 13:1 on FB and got this:

Xian: Yes, be a responsible citizen. All governments are under God. Pay your taxes, pay our bills, respect your leaders. Don't break the rules, follow the law. Live responsibly because it's the right way to live.

Xian: the key is that it's under God. Our government has eliminated God....

Me: Per the NIV: Romans 13:1 -" Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." Just for clarity.

Xian: mine was from the message translation. you have to read the chapter in it's entirety

Xian: again, God is the key...government has separated itself from Him.

Xian: And if you want to quote this there's other bible verses to quote about gay marriage, women being different from men, divorce, when life begins....just can't use one part of the Bible to promote what someone wants. What the bible and Jesus are clear on is Love of one another. :-)

Me: But would your argument be the same had Romney won?

Xian: the POTUS is the POTUS. My country is my country. But my God is my God. I just hope that the right thing is done. In the meantime, I'll prepare for the return. :-)

Me: :-) You like who you like, I like who I like. I doubt either candidate would make vast changes in my life. In the last 20 years none of them have.

Xian: and which part of the argument? I see none here. Just that there is a difference of opinion.

Me: Would Romans 13:1 apply if Romney would have won?

Me: Or would I still be cherry picking?

Xian: My main point is that the Bible is a whole....not a part. You apply all of it or none of it. Yes Romans 13:1 would still apply because there are people who don't agree with Romney. It's always applied to everyone.

Xian: God is the supreme ruler. He created everything and rules over it, including you and me. But because He loved us he also gave us free will and the freedom to choose, because love that is forced is not love at all.

Me: I agree, love that is forced is not love at all.

(This Xian was posting whiny post-election stuff on FB and jumped right on my Romans 13:1 post.....) lol. There are lots of holes to poke in their argument but I decided not to start a holy war.

"YOU APPLY ALL OF IT OR NONE OF IT "

ARRFGHHHHHHHFSDLKDFLDKDKKDKDKD

Not only do you apply "ALL OF IT", but you can't possibly understand it all without years of study... so you should just listen to your minister.

So all the right whingers Xtians in the USA now want to live in Australia?

Do they know that Australia has universal healthcare, legal same sex marriages, free access to contraception and the premier is an atheist? yellow.gif

• Like 1

...... so you should just listen to your minister.

who doesn't even have a degree and his only qualification is a local pastor's license from the courthouse.

Jeebus is going to rule from... Missouri?

WTF?

They are all certifiable...and we Canadians don't want em.

Jeebus is going to rule from... Missouri?

WTF?

They are all certifiable...and we Canadians don't want em.

According to Mormonism, yes. Ergo, my statement was meant in a completely mocking fashion. Missouri, of all places! I live here. It's.. well, it's Missouri.

in high school when people asked what state I was from I told the misery...drawled to sound like Missouri.

Xian: My main point is that the Bible is a whole....not a part...[snip]

Midniterider, you are my hero. Gawd, is this fun or what!?

Why can no one answer our questions??????

Well, I did the Romans 13:1 on FB and got this:

Xian: Yes, be a responsible citizen. All governments are under God. Pay your taxes, pay our bills, respect your leaders. Don't break the rules, follow the law. Live responsibly because it's the right way to live.

Xian: the key is that it's under God. Our government has eliminated God....

Me: Per the NIV: Romans 13:1 -" Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God." Just for clarity.

Xian: mine was from the message translation. you have to read the chapter in it's entirety

Xian: again, God is the key...government has separated itself from Him.

Xian: And if you want to quote this there's other bible verses to quote about gay marriage, women being different from men, divorce, when life begins....just can't use one part of the Bible to promote what someone wants. What the bible and Jesus are clear on is Love of one another. :-)

Me: But would your argument be the same had Romney won?

Xian: the POTUS is the POTUS. My country is my country. But my God is my God. I just hope that the right thing is done. In the meantime, I'll prepare for the return. :-)

Me: :-) You like who you like, I like who I like. I doubt either candidate would make vast changes in my life. In the last 20 years none of them have.

Xian: and which part of the argument? I see none here. Just that there is a difference of opinion.

Xian: My main point is that the Bible is a whole....not a part. You apply all of it or none of it. Yes Romans 13:1 would still apply because there are people who don't agree with Romney. It's always applied to everyone.

Xian: God is the supreme ruler. He created everything and rules over it, including you and me. But because He loved us he also gave us free will and the freedom to choose, because love that is forced is not love at all.

Me: I agree, love that is forced is not love at all.

(This Xian was posting whiny post-election stuff on FB and jumped right on my Romans 13:1 post.....) lol. There are lots of holes to poke in their argument but I decided not to start a holy war.

"YOU APPLY ALL OF IT OR NONE OF IT "

ARRFGHHHHHHHFSDLKDFLDKDKKDKDKD

Yeah, it was double talk. If I am interested in the bible's view on abortion apparently I must read the entire bible from cover to cover to get that view. So I suppose where it says 'thou shalt not kill' or 'thou shalt not steal' I need to make sure and not take that out of context but to read the whole bible to get what it 'really' means. :-) It's interesting that all I did was post a photo of Jesus with 'Romans 13:1' on it and this person was all over it ..... lol. This person was elsewhere on FB posting whiney Romney apologetics and irritating their mother with it.... at least after our discussion they calmed down...or else blocked me from reading their posts. lol.

Xian: My main point is that the Bible is a whole....not a part...[snip]

Midniterider, you are my hero. Gawd, is this fun or what!?

Why can no one answer our questions??????

My summation is their answer was just deflection. We were posting nearly real-time on FB so I was trying to make some snappy comeback without getting defriended. It was a half-assed attempt. lol. But I thank my logical and knowlegable friends here who know how to debate well. Maybe it has rubbed off a little on me...haha.

I posted this cartoon on my facebook page the other day. Slowly, responses are trickling in. I won't post all the reponses and PMs I got, but apparently it really pissed off a ton of my friends, some of whom I didn't even know were Christian! I kind of feel bad because I didn't mean to strike such a chord and cause them to get on the defensive. They say it is a gross oversimplification and that I was trying to mock Christianity. I don't think so. This comic speaks the truth of what most Christians believe, assuming the hooker was a non-believer. What do you think?

75177_10151195653709483_1166039192_n.jpg

I wish I had the balls to post this. I hear this all the time that someone can "saved" right before death, as long as they really, really mean it of course, regardless of what they did in life. On the flip side, someone could live the perfect "christian" life, and still burn if they didn't say the magical prayer.

• Like 1

I posted this cartoon on my facebook page the other day. Slowly, responses are trickling in. I won't post all the reponses and PMs I got, but apparently it really pissed off a ton of my friends, some of whom I didn't even know were Christian! I kind of feel bad because I didn't mean to strike such a chord and cause them to get on the defensive. They say it is a gross oversimplification and that I was trying to mock Christianity. I don't think so. This comic speaks the truth of what most Christians believe, assuming the hooker was a non-believer. What do you think?

Pandora, I wouldn't feel bad at all. There is accuracy in this cartoon with regards to many Christians thinking that way. You set off the cognitive dissonance o-meter in people and they found the sensation rather unpleasant, hence the "Eeek! We're offended!" rhetoric. When one sheep starts bleating, the rest follow along. It's easier to be angry at you than to actually have to...think.

Thanks, guys. :) Sometimes it is hard to be a "beacon of light." ;)

I can't post the exchange, but today, a cousin of mine posted a pro-life on fb about a single cell being considered life on other planets, but not in a woman's body. I said the question wasn't whether there was life, but that who has more rights, the woman or the fetus. I then posted the verses in Numbers about God saying that a woman who has been raped and/or committed adultery should be given a potion to induce abortion. I also posted the one in Exodus about a man merely being fined for causing a miscarriage. I was trying to point out that God apparently doesn't value the fetus as much as grown adult. The posts were deleted, which is why I can't post them. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif I guess I induced some more cognitive dissonance.

• Like 6

Good work! Can't have some uppity SLUT talking like that!

Thanks, guys. smile.png Sometimes it is hard to be a "beacon of light." wink.png

I can't post the exchange, but today, a cousin of mine posted a pro-life on fb about a single cell being considered life on other planets, but not in a woman's body. I said the question wasn't whether there was life, but that who has more rights, the woman or the fetus. I then posted the verses in Numbers about God saying that a woman who has been raped and/or committed adultery should be given a potion to induce abortion. I also posted the one in Exodus about a man merely being fined for causing a miscarriage. I was trying to point out that God apparently doesn't value the fetus as much as grown adult. The posts were deleted, which is why I can't post them. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif I guess I induced some more cognitive dissonance.

Which planets are they talking about? And considered by whom? The people on those other planets? Or by us? I'm confused. :-)

I suppose our finding a living cell on another planet (or even a dead cell) would be quite an exciting discovery. Though here on Earth not so exciting. There are cells all over the place on this planet, hence the non-excitement.

It seems odd to me that the government could be the legal guardian of a fetus (single cell or not) until birth, at which time the mother takes over until the kid is 18. Maybe government should just raise the child as well. Fewer kids would be abused by their parents that way? :-) Perhaps the government ought to control the process of conception as well. No sex without government permission.

• Like 1

Had to share this gem that somebody from my church posted on fb today: 'If the bible is just a bunch of fairy tales then why is it banned in 52 countries?'

Had to share this gem that somebody from my church posted on fb today: 'If the bible is just a bunch of fairy tales then why is it banned in 52 countries?'

because it goes against other fairy tales?

• Like 1

The posts were deleted, which is why I can't post them. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif I guess I induced some more cognitive dissonance.

Why, you Dissonancer, you! yelrotflmao.gif

Can you hear the BeeGees? "You make me feel like dissonancin'..." sing_99.gif

Deleted posts. The disgusting parts of the bible are ignored and posts that aren't nasty, but simply show disagreement with their assertions are deleted.

Bah it's useless to sit here puzzled. I already know and can answer myself. They're brainwashed. I figure the blinder factor is programmed in at some point. I know it is, I was one of them :D. If you can get someone to believe that the bible is infallible and any attempts to show otherwise or disagreement with whichever branch's party line are tricks of satan trying to drag them into the ranks of the damned, the blinders come on automatically. If you listen carefully, you can almost hear the whir and click as they rise and lock into place.

Ugh. Really?

Except the criteria for the ban in those countries doesn't necessarily specify the reason for the banning as due to fiction or nonfiction status. GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif Using this criteria, both Alice in Wonderland and Green Eggs and Ham were once banned in China. (Dramatic music and voiceover) "If they were just fairy tales, why were they banned?

because it goes against other fairy tales?

yelrotflmao.gif

Thanks, guys. :) Sometimes it is hard to be a "beacon of light." ;)

I can't post the exchange, but today, a cousin of mine posted a pro-life on fb about a single cell

being considered life on other planets, but not in

a woman's body. I said the question wasn't

whether there was life, but that who has more

rights, the woman or the fetus. I then posted

the verses in Numbers about God saying that a

woman who has been raped and/or committed

adultery should be given a potion to induce

abortion. I also posted the one in Exodus about

a man merely being fined for causing a

miscarriage.

And it's a fine that the husband sets. Never mind how the wife felt about losing her baby. Those passages always make me want to stick a fork down my throat.

Or someone's throat, anyway; no point wasting a perfectly good throat, right? (To paraphrase Good Omens.)

"Non-christians are always evil." Thanks for the reminder and for not capitalizing "christians."

Does not capitalizing "Christians" mean something to some Christian communities, or are you just pointing out bad grammar?