Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

534649_302630786509186_1010299611_n.jpg

I found this especially harmful and repulsive (posted by a woman who is pretty nice but I don't think she thinks about stuff, just clicks share). I know too many people who were victims of physical, sexual and emotional abuse growing up in church. Kids should be protected, and this picture just makes me feel sick to think that people might actually believe "it doesn't matter what's going on here, as long as we've got god."

then I got this: "I just wanted to let you know that I love you and I am still praying for you. A lot of your church family feel the same way. We care about you and are concerned for you and your family. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving holiday. Love you all, C****"

I'm starting to get pissed.

Oh I "love" that bull. When I used to post on Christianforums, there was one guy there who was viciously stupid, offensive and aggressive, but if you said anything not-nice back, he'd respond with something like, "blessings to you," and a huggy-kissy smiley. Of course, in the next post, he'd say something like, "How do all those burning coals on your head feel!?"

reference, of course, to that Bible verse about how you should be kind to your enemies, because it's the way to make them most angry, "and so you pour burning coals on their head." I'm not sure the verse actually advocates yelling "boo-yeah! in your face!!!" after you help their donkey out of the ditch, though.

Didn't even take that long. About an hour after I posted this my husband got a long message about how they all prayed for me today and church and if I won't "accept" their help, they feel the need to take more drastic measures, whatever the fuck that means.

Sounds like time to start unfriending people and publicly dropping hints about restraining orders. Can you get a copy of the letter from your husband and put it up on your FB page (editing out names as necessary), with comments about the inappropriate, disrespectful, stalker-like behaviour going on?

255160_515196868502256_1332945214_n.jpg

Because men could never figure that out without scripture to tell them to.....

• Like 1

Most of the men I've known in Assemblies of God churches are utterly incapable of determining anything or making a decision on their own. If they aren't given a Bible verse or told by a pastor to do something, they are completely useless.

Oh yay, another Christian attention-whore fishing for likes. Cuz ya know, nothing says "Christlike" like demanding people "like" something by implying if they don't, obviously they mean they don't think husbands should love their wives.

That's really pissing me off about all of it. How can I be a bitch to someone ending all of their messages with "I love you." Doesn't matter how messed up the rest of the message is, if I say anything mean I'M the asshole. Wendybanghead.gif

No, no, you aren't. Emotional manipulation trick. Remember in the bible that was one of Yahweh's stunts. (Paraphrasing here:) "Israel, you backsliding whore...<lengthy abusive disjointed rant>...I love you."

*Or*

Just do the same thing right back. Don't get pissed :D. It could be an opportunity to make a point with humor for yourself.

"So-and-so...I must disagree with xyz and your creepily threatened 'drastic measures' upon not accepting your 'help'...If you actually cared about me and not about receiving brownie points from Yahweh, you would be respecting my decisions and not insulting myself or my family. Satan and I are doing quite well, thank you. He does consume a lot of turkey, but he did bring pie! I love you."

• Like 2

Just unfriend and walk away.

or at least hide them on your newsfeed.

• Like 1

Call them out on it. "You don't get to try to manipulate me emotionally and blackmail me, threaten me, and extort me, then tell me you love me. You realize that was abusive and controlling, right? I do not accept this behavior and insist you apologize and refrain from doing it again."

• Like 6

I've unfriended the two that sent the messages and all of the ones who friend requested yesterday, as well as a few of the well-behaved ones, for good measure. My husband just didn't send anything back. He said no matter what he says, they would just keep going, so by not sending anything back he is hoping they'll get the point that he doesn't want to talk to them.

My Uncle said some things on my Mother's post. He was trying to be careful, but at the end of the discussion I think he got sensitive and misread/misunderstood what was being said:

8216138158_811fd9c81a.jpg

8215054609_359289ae9e.jpg

8216138032_30304afa00.jpg

Biblegay debate3 by TahliaH, on Flickr

Ummm...Slavery and misogyny are reaffirmed in the new testament. There are instructions for slaves and masters and instructions for women to be silent, not cut their hair, etc.

There you go again, expecting Christians to know what's in their own holy book. Stop that!

• Like 1

I shouldn't drink and check Facebook. I'm still supposed to be "in the closet" about my loss of faith.

But, sometimes, you just have to say something. This is the latest thing. Since there is a news story about the crimson tides in Australia right now, they are crying it as warning sign of judgment from God. What about the other news stories? Are those signs?

Anyway, this one really took the cake. The post was bad enough, but the jab at science in the comment section was more than I could hold back against. I tried not to be condescending, but I don't think I did a very good job.

post-20203-0-82885100-1354083771_thumb.png

• Like 2

I shouldn't drink and check Facebook. I'm still supposed to be "in the closet" about my loss of faith.

But, sometimes, you just have to say something. This is the latest thing. Since there is a news story about the crimson tides in Australia right now, they are crying it as warning sign of judgment from God. What about the other news stories? Are those signs?

Anyway, this one really took the cake. The post was bad enough, but the jab at science in the comment section was more than I could hold back against. I tried not to be condescending, but I don't think I did a very good job.

Eh, there's no nice cure for something that mind-bogglingly stupid. The mind of the faithful denounces anything contrary as evil and it's a great way of closing their mind.

Maybe Ray Lewis will create an experience for them that's so significant it forces them to open their mind to the idea that they might be wrong, but I wouldn't count on that.

Ummm...Slavery and misogyny are reaffirmed in the new testament. There are instructions for slaves and masters and instructions for women to be silent, not cut their hair, etc.

Exactly. I think he agrees with what's said about women in the NT though, it would explain why he hasn't had a date since he was about 20. He's mid to late 50's now. He spent 4 years in Bible college too. What a waste of time and money!

I I tried not to be condescending, but I don't think I did a very good job.

You did fine. There's nothing in there about you not believing in any god at all - but as I'm sure you've seen, the god of the gaps is getting smaller and smaller....now that we are in the 21st century - or shall I say past the 18th century - somehow things that "need" supernatural explanations are becoming fewer and fewer.

• Like 1

Um, the Gulf Coast regularly had crimson tides on occasion for the entire length of time I was unfortunate enough to live along it. Science explained it some time ago. What next? "THE MILK IS SPOILED! GOD MUST BE MAD AT US!"

Poor Blue. He lives in a very scary world, doesn't he?

Well, it got worse. Here's the continued explanation. The color coded people are the same. I'm still green. Original poster is black, and then there's Mr. Blue...

The gloves come off even more in this one. I'm still trying to be gentle, but I know my friend would not be offended by sugar coating, either. They have thick skin for disagreements and aren't afraid of them (rare for believers, i know).

EDIT... Wait, and then Blue just replied again. At this point, I cannot reply back without giving myself away. If anything, I would point out that our destructive, selfish, and short-sighted tendencies do plenty to injure our planet, without even requiring divine intervention. But, maybe I won't even bother pointing that out...

post-20203-0-33452300-1354120427_thumb.png

post-20203-0-70277100-1354120698_thumb.png

Um, AFAIR, his god is the very one who hardened Pharoah's heart. He deliberately made Pharoah sin. Dick move, god. Way to miss that subtle nuance, too, Blue.

• Like 2

Um, AFAIR, his god is the very one who hardened Pharoah's heart. He deliberately made Pharoah sin. Dick move, god. Way to miss that subtle nuance, too, Blue.

That is just what I was thinking, though Blue sounds like he's deceiving himself, I think he's this >.< close to being de-converted ;)

61424_10200098583411594_612551240_n.jpg

In other words "Do nothing, because it's not up to you".

Still waiting on God's word to be revealed.

Haven't seen anything that qualifies yet.

Still waiting on God's word to be revealed.

Haven't seen anything that qualifies yet.

I asked Him what He would do to resolve the financial crisis, he said nothing.

• Like 1

In other words "Do nothing, because it's not up to you".

More like, "Do nothing, because it's not up to you. But pray anways, because you're supposed to."