Goodbye Jesus

Things Fundies Say On Facebook

Brother Jeff

wait you can get food on facebook?

* Scientists are the ones telling everyone that the earth is 4.5 billion years old in direct contradiction to the scriptures. Therefore, you can't trust scientists. Since climatologists are also scientists, you can't trust them, either.

I think this one is really rampant. Among christians there's a strong distrusts of scientists. The media jumping the gun on posting the results of inconclusive scientific studies adds to this. As such, most christians have a view that when science doesn't mesh with what they want to believe, then most likely someone made a mistake and in a few years they'll be changing their minds anyway.

Scientists invented computer chips which allow fundys to spread baloney on Facebook.

I don't believe that computers actually exist. Anything that works like a computer is supposed to would have to use electromagnetism in a number of ways. As we all know, electromagnetism is only a theory, so I'm not buying it.

* Scientists are the ones telling everyone that the earth is 4.5 billion years old in direct contradiction to the scriptures. Therefore, you can't trust scientists. Since climatologists are also scientists, you can't trust them, either.

I think this one is really rampant. Among christians there's a strong distrusts of scientists. The media jumping the gun on posting the results of inconclusive scientific studies adds to this. As such, most christians have a view that when science doesn't mesh with what they want to believe, then most likely someone made a mistake and in a few years they'll be changing their minds anyway.

Scientists invented computer chips which allow fundys to spread baloney on Facebook.

That's sort of the point, they pick and choose what science to believe (like they pick and choose scripture)

I don't believe that computers actually exist. Anything that works like a computer is supposed to would have to use electromagnetism in a number of ways. As we all know, electromagnetism is only a theory, so I'm not buying it.

My computer runs on fairie power.

My computer runs on fairie power.

I don't believe in Fairies. 

however, 

There is evidence for a different "fairy" 

gay-fairy-tim-wings.jpg

This:

"WOW! I love miracles and what better time of year to celebrate that miracles happen and God is Good! I just read the testamony of one mother whose son battled bipolar depression to the point where he could not function. His mother agreed in prayer with a pastor and they asked God for healing for her son. The mother wrote later, "Within two days of the prayer... my son’s depression miraculously lifted. At first I thought it was a fluke, so I waited. But the depression did not come back. The miracle continues, and he not only has total relief from depression but he’s changing. He is happier than I have seen him in five years. This is nothing short of a miracle. We have our son back!"

*There really is Hope for whatever trouble we encounter."

Is this an intervention by God or some other higher power or is it something coming from the young man himself (I don't have a basis for suggesting a third alternative, that the story is faked)?

Or vastly exaggerated. I feel terrible for the young man though--imagine if it isn't some permanent miracle cure but just one of those normal ups-and-downs one might feel in depression, and it comes back in full force or worse? What's he going to say then? "Ooops, sorry guys, not a miracle..." That has to be horrible pressure! I knew a woman in church who said she was healed of depression at a revival and later she of course had a relapse, and she didn't tell anybody or get help because she was so afraid she'd let people down who thought GOD HAD DONE A MEERKUL.

• Like 1

• Here is one I just saw today......I love how they derail his post to talk about how not following god has caused every possible bad thing to happen, including today's events. (elementary school killings)

Why didnt god do this to a country that really doesn't believe in him? Like Iceland?

Pretty stupid of him if you ask me since here in the US more than 80% believeWendyDoh.gif

371995_100000494700338_78572443_q.jpg

Hurt and pain push people into becoming monsters like we saw today. As more and more children become victims of these monsters, we're going to see more kids become monsters as a result. We need to keep our eyes open for any potential monsters. If you know an at risk kid or teen, be sure to show them extra love, attention, compassion. Your simple act of love today, may prevent a tragedy in the future.

Monsters ARE responsible for their actions, but let's not be naive and fail to recognize how they became that way. One act of love to a hurting kid, may uproot any seeds of hurt and pain, that could drive them to hurt some in the future.
    Like · · about an hour ago ·
    •  
    •  
      and 18 others like this.
    • 372154_1294687597_1612317396_q.jpg

Absolutely. It's up to us to stop the decay.
    •  

t The vicious cycle needs to stop. Uggg.
    •  

Along with the fact gun free zones are the cause for not being able to protect these innocent children. Criminals DO NOT OBEY GUN LAWS!
    •  

Our country has gotten away from God. we have abortions, gay marriage, living together is a norm, not going to church, nurseries in schools, almost 50% on government dole, single parent families at almost 50%!
    •  

•  

Apparently God likes Iceland more? Must be all that abortion.

• Like 1

That and the extra atheists....

I've never seen electromagnetic radiation myself, but my Dad was adjusting the antenna one day when I accidently keyed the 100 watt transmitter. He is quite a believer now. :-)

"All this heartbreak today. All of these prayers for those people. Can you even imagine that this is nothing compared to the heartbreak that Christ feels when we sin? Every time we do something that isn't of Christ He feels immense heartbreak as we are all His loved children. Let's all consider and remember this. Let's pray every day. Not just when tragedy strikes."

Saw this in my newsfeed. Bold part in particular pissed me off. What a stupid and terrible thing to post in response to what happened.

Oh, Friendly Atheist has been running a slew of articles about Christians using the shooting to advance their Taliban-like agenda. It's infuriating and disheartening, but on the plus side such craziness really does illustrate exactly why we must continue to speak out against and civilly defy the fundagelical encroachment on our liberty and reason.

532383_10102109311200260_1057184499_n.jp

"Jesus, SHUT UP! You keep telling us spoilers."

All kinds of these things after the shooting:

72331_213735328761950_2001430343_n.jpg

Oh my parents jump on stuff like this and fall for it completely every time. I remember once playing a mockumentary for my Dad, it was telling the story of how a little-known feminist actually cut the ribbon at the opening of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, not the infamous Francis de Groot. Of course it was bullshit but even after telling Dad it was a mockumentary (a what?) and even showing him the disclaimer at the end which spelled out that the story was fictional, he literally DID NOT BELIEVE it was fictional. He kept saying 'no, no, it seems very authentic'. I gave up. It is just so frighteningly easy to fool people like this into believing whatever the hell you want. Actually, this reminds me, a couple of days ago my lovely wife (who is an ex-C like me) watched a Derren Brown special where he posed as a psychic and got some amazing results from an audience. But she would not believe that he could do that and not be psychic!! Even though he says directly to the camera 'I am not a psychic; it is a trick'.

Holy shit people!

That special sounds interesting, what was the name of it? I did a google search and it didn't come up but I didn't try very hard either

Rosie's Secret. Unfortunately it's not on youtube, only for sale, but you can download a study guide for it from here http://www.roninfilms.com.au/feature/609/rosies-secret.html

Yeah... because after God lets a bunch of kids die, what their devastated families really want is to have that same God "heal" them. Me? If my kid had been killed, I'd have some very choice words about anybody and everybody'd who'd let it happen. Saw this on a blog: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rev-emily-c-heath/dealing-with-grief-five-t_b_2303910.html?utm_hp_ref=religion'>Stupid shit Christians should avoid saying about the shooting. I'm glad that a lot of Christians are disavowing all these ridiculous things their peers are saying.

Also: Religious glurge just wouldn't be the same without basic grammatical errors like "had of."

Yeah... because after God lets a bunch of kids die, what their devastated families really want is to have that same God "heal" them. Me? If my kid had been killed, I'd have some very choice words about anybody and everybody'd who'd let it happen. Saw this on a blog: Stupid shit Christians should avoid saying about the shooting. I'm glad that a lot of Christians are disavowing all these ridiculous things their peers are saying.

Also: Religious glurge just wouldn't be the same without basic grammatical errors like "had of."

That's a good list.  Some of the things "to" say avoid even more things Christians should say.  Bravo to the one who came up with that.

532383_10102109311200260_1057184499_n.jp

Can anybody help me find something on Facebook (I don't do Facebook.) An atheist friend wrote to tell me he saw this same piece of glurge art (or something like it) along with a poem -- to the meter of "A Visit from St. Nicholas" -- talking about how happy all of Friday's murdered little children were to get to spend Christmas in heaven, and how god would "take care" of their parents.

(No cute poem, apparently, about any tiny atheist, Jewish, agnostic, Buddhist, Hindu, or Muslim murder victims marching off to hell to the cheers of Jesus and his fans.)

My friend, who has a child of the age of those who were murdered, was too upset to think when he saw it. He protested and his Facebook friend immediately removed the posting before he could think to take a screen shot. But a screen shot is surely needed. Anybody?

You mean this?

Twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38
 when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate. Their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air. They could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there. They were filled with such joy; they didn't know what to say. They remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day. “where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse. “This is heaven" declared a small boy. "We’re spending Christmas at God's house”. When what to their wondering eyes did appear, but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near. He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same. Then He opened His arms and He called them by name. And in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring those children all flew into the arms of their King and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace, one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face. And as if He could read all the questions she had He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad. “then He looked down on earth, the world far below He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe, then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand, “Let My power and presence re-enter this land! “May this country be delivered from the hands of fools” “I’m taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools! “Then He and the children stood up without a sound. “Come now my children let me show you around. “Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran. All displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can. And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight, “in the midst of this darkness,” I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

silentknight -- Yep, that definitely sounds like what my friend described. Thank you!

Well, I don't know whether I should actually thank you. The poem and pic made a strong man cry with rage and despair. And I'm starting to feel nauseated just thinking about the sort of (pardon the expression) human being who could write something like that.

But thank you.

You mean this?

Twas' 11 days before Christmas, around 9:38

when 20 beautiful children stormed through heaven's gate. Their smiles were contagious, their laughter filled the air. They could hardly believe all the beauty they saw there. They were filled with such joy; they didn't know what to say. They remembered nothing of what had happened earlier that day. “where are we?" asked a little girl, as quiet as a mouse. “This is heaven" declared a small boy. "We’re spending Christmas at God's house”. When what to their wondering eyes did appear, but Jesus, their savior, the children gathered near. He looked at them and smiled, and they smiled just the same. Then He opened His arms and He called them by name. And in that moment was joy, that only heaven can bring those children all flew into the arms of their King and as they lingered in the warmth of His embrace, one small girl turned and looked at Jesus' face. And as if He could read all the questions she had He gently whispered to her, "I'll take care of mom and dad. “then He looked down on earth, the world far below He saw all of the hurt, the sorrow, and woe, then He closed His eyes and He outstretched His hand, “Let My power and presence re-enter this land! “May this country be delivered from the hands of fools” “I’m taking back my nation. I'm taking back my schools! “Then He and the children stood up without a sound. “Come now my children let me show you around. “Excitement filled the space, some skipped and some ran. All displaying enthusiasm that only a small child can. And I heard Him proclaim as He walked out of sight, “in the midst of this darkness,” I AM STILL THE LIGHT."

And you know, it's even worse than what my friend described. Jesus will "take care" of the grieving parents by turning government schools into arms of theocracy? Jeezus ...

I'm having trouble thinking of the chirpy little fundie who wrote that bit of ghastly, amateur free verse and then put it out on the internet thinking s/he'd get lots of compliments.

I am eliminating friends on FB that post that crap.  

I'm done being nice about it.