Goodbye Jesus

First Post

notaxtian

I have never posted in these forums before. Sometimes I have trouble expressing my thoughts. What I am trying to say is that religion is confusing to me. For example, some people say that when one dies, he/she is with Jesus. Others say that if one is good, he/she may go to Purgatory to get "fixed up" before going to Heaven. And then there are others that say that one's soul goes to sleep before the Second Coming. The latter is what I grew up hearing. All three of them believe in Jesus but interpret things differently, so I asked myself which one is correct?

Now that I am an adult, I have heard non-christian views such as reincarnation(when one dies, he/she becomes a tree or another inanimate object, or someone else)which I don't believe either.

I personally don't know what happens after death, and to be honest I don't care. I try not to concern myself with it that much, I just try to live my life. Why worry about whether one goes to a possible afterlife? Why not just enjoy this one? Questions such as "Is there life after death?" really confuse me.

I am not sure if this is a rant or not, so I posted this in the rants and replies forum.

Obviously, all three can't be correct. silverpenny013Hmmm.gif Yeah, that's the beautiful thing about the Bible - each person can find a verse to support whatever they want. In my opinion, there is no divine revelation, so none are "right". We certainly don't know what happens after death. Taking care of the here and now is an excellent idea, and is something that many of us had to learn how to do, because we had been waiting on "Sky Daddy" to fix things at some point, or after our death. Welcome to Ex-C.

Welcome to ex-C my man. I agree that it's difficult to sort through all the many claims of truth. I don't worry about an afterlife either. I hope you'll stick around for a while and get to know some folks here.

No one knows what happens after death. I'm more concerned with what happens now. I think christians spend too much time disc ussing shit they can't know for sure and ignoring more important things, like why are most of them obnoxious :)

Welcome to the forum :)

• Like 1

There are thousands of denominations of Christianity, and most of them all claim to be the "True Christians" while all the others are "false teachers", tricked and deceived by Satan into believing his lies. And of course all those "false" Christians are going to hell. So which version of Christianity is the "true" version? My response to that is: Why would anyone believe there is a "true" version? Because someone's mommy and daddy told them so?

IMO all religions are bunk, whether Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. They all have their prophets, holy men, etc., all claim to have the "truth", and yet none of them agree. In fact they inflict violence on each other due to their lack of agreement on which "truth" is the "real" truth. So, something is obviously amiss.

When it comes to death, unless you prefer to believe some religious explanation for it there's not much for us to believe other than what we can observe - which is when we die that's it.

• Like 1

Given what we know about the human brain, I think I have a pretty good idea of what happens after death - nothing. Your consciousness stops existing.

• Like 1

I personally don't know what happens after death, and to be honest I don't care. I try not to concern myself with it that much, I just try to live my life. Why worry about whether one goes to a possible afterlife?

Based on the evidence I think we just cease to exist just like we did before we came to exist.

But I agree. Why worry about it? Live this life. The one you know for sure you've got. The rest will all sort itself out in the end.

mwc

• Like 1

I was raised Seventh Day Adventist. On Sabbath(they worship on Saturday) I was told not only that people "go to sleep" before the Second Coming, but a lot of other nonsense too, such as "If one eats meat, he/she jeopardizes his/her salvation". For years I did my best to be a vegetarian, and when I started eating meat again, I was afraid of going to Hell. For those who aren't familiar with adventism, the best way I can describe it is a bunch of do's and don'ts. For example, don't go dancing or go to the movies. Don't drink coffee or any other beverage containing caffeine. They encourage one to stick to a vegetarian diet, which isn't a bad thing, but for me the other rules were overwhelming. You asked which version is true, and if you had asked me when I was little I would tell you that adventism is the true version, but nowdays I would say "who cares? I don't agree with any other version, or any other religion".

There are thousands of denominations of Christianity, and most of them all claim to be the "True Christians" while all the others are "false teachers", tricked and deceived by Satan into believing his lies. And of course all those "false" Christians are going to hell. So which version of Christianity is the "true" version? My response to that is: Why would anyone believe there is a "true" version? Because someone's mommy and daddy told them so?

IMO all religions are bunk, whether Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc. They all have their prophets, holy men, etc., all claim to have the "truth", and yet none of them agree. In fact they inflict violence on each other due to their lack of agreement on which "truth" is the "real" truth. So, something is obviously amiss.

When it comes to death, unless you prefer to believe some religious explanation for it there's not much for us to believe other than what we can observe - which is when we die that's it.

The only people that really know what happens are dead.

And they ain't tellin'

:grin:

• Like 1

For example, don't go dancing or go to the movies. Don't drink coffee or any other beverage contain

Believe me, I know and I can relate!

My parents were members of a very conservative Pentecostal church, and they had lots of rules too: No drinking, no dancing, for women: no makeup, no short hair, no pants, skirts had to cover the knees, for men short hair, no pierced ears, etc. The rules were ridiculous!

Just as a side note, my church taught us that Seventh Day Adventists were a cult and their members were all bound for hell, lol. But we were also taught that about Mormons, Baptists and Universalists too!

when i look at death there is no way to know with our current understanding of the universe what comes after death. i prefear to look at it as the posibility of the infinante so i dont worry about it. dont beat yourself up about somthing that is the ultimate undifined just live this life and imagine the best.

For example, don't go dancing or go to the movies. Don't drink coffee or any other beverage contain

Believe me, I know and I can relate!

My parents were members of a very conservative Pentecostal church, and they had lots of rules too: No drinking, no dancing, for women: no makeup, no short hair, no pants, skirts had to cover the knees, for men short hair, no pierced ears, etc. The rules were ridiculous!

Just as a side note, my church taught us that Seventh Day Adventists were a cult and their members were all bound for hell, lol. But we were also taught that about Mormons, Baptists and Universalists too!

I mentioned in my last post that Seventh Day Adventists worship on Saturday, I mean Sabbath(the day God rested after he created the world). Since they worship on the "correct" day and other christians worship on Sunday, THEY are right and everyone else is wrong. If that wasn't enough to convince me, the Sunday Law did. According to Adventist teaching, Sunday Keepers(those worshiping on Sunday) former Adventists, and Catholics will come after Sabbath Keepers(members of the "remnant church"). Those worshiping on Sabbath will be arrested, tortured, and killed. When I was little, the Sunday Law scared me to death! It totally ruined my childhood, which I will never get back. Now that I am older I realize that was ridiculous.

Welcome to ex-C my man. I agree that it's difficult to sort through all the many claims of truth. I don't worry about an afterlife either. I hope you'll stick around for a while and get to know some folks here.

Thank you for your responses. I am relieved that I am not alone. Growing up, I heard people say things like, "It's in God's hands", or "If it's the Lord's will, this or that will happen." The latter especially irritated me. For now I am just reading other's posts, but eventually I will post more frequently.