Goodbye Jesus

Lost Another Job - Is There Something Wrong?

Deva

Yes, Phanta, it was very discouraging. These two attorneys were trying to justify to me the unjustifiable, which made it worse. If they had just said "we are paying blah blah and that's the highest we can go" would be one thing.. but, it was "we have so many people applying for this job, blah blah, in this market, blah blah..., you know, I just don't buy it. No way. That isn't correct. If they are busy they can afford to pay someone with experience a decent wage. They won't because they are CHEAP. They deserve what they get. End of rant... I'm tired now.

Yeah, as time goes by my pride will decrease. No doubt about it. I have already for the past year been very underpaid.

Let me tell you guys something else that bothered me about this interview - they wanted to know about my personal life. What for? To try to see if I fit into their corporate atmosphere? How do you politely say "None of your damn business?"

They asked if I had any children. I got the feeling that not having kids was somehow unacceptable, otherwise why would they ask me that question? I felt like I was doing something wrong. It was weird.

I have to admit I have been to a lot of interviews and they usually don't inquire into it. It might be one of those illegal things to ask, like "what is your religion?" I have actually even had that question asked of me in the past when they know its clearly illegal.

Yes, Phanta, it was very discouraging. These two attorneys were trying to justify to me the unjustifiable, which made it worse. If they had just said "we are paying blah blah and that's the highest we can go" would be one thing.. but, it was "we have so many people applying for this job, blah blah, in this market, blah blah..., you know, I just don't buy it. No way. That isn't correct. If they are busy they can afford to pay someone with experience a decent wage. They won't because they are CHEAP. They deserve what they get.

Yuck!

Once I had a job interview to work at a bookshop. This was back in college and I was used to making very little, often minimum wage. I was excited about working at a private bookshop, though. I asked the owner what the compensation would be and she replied, impatiently, "Whatever minimum wage is." It told me a lot about what she thought about her employees. I have worked for people who were respectful when offering a low wage. She didn't even know the number. Needless to say, I didn't go back. My housemate did, though, and worked for her for several months. Said she was an A-class bitch.

Let me tell you guys something else that bothered me about this interview - they wanted to know about my personal life. What for? To try to see if I fit into their corporate atmosphere? How do you politely say "None of your damn business?"

They asked if I had any children. I got the feeling that not having kids was somehow unacceptable, otherwise why would they ask me that question? I felt like I was doing something wrong. It was weird.

I have to admit I have been to a lot of interviews and they usually don't inquire into it. It might be one of those illegal things to ask, like "what is your religion?" I have actually even had that question asked of me in the past when they know its clearly illegal.

Yuck! It is inappropriate. I think it's even illegal. Here is some on-line advice that looks good.

Phanta

Yuck! It is inappropriate. I think it's even illegal. Here is some on-line advice that looks good.

Phanta

I can think of all kinds of good comebacks now, but I have the type of mind that has to really think about what is said before responding. I chose to answer the personal question, but may not if I am confronted with that type of thing again. As I suspected it isn't something that should have been asked.

I have had some really tough interviews in my career - ones that related to my ability to do the job. This was not one of them. They did not ask me specifics as to what I would do in a certain situation or how I could get the job done. I spoke to a recruiter today and I related the low salary figure I was offered, and she said I should certainly be able to get more and agreed it was an insult.

When they started in on me with this "well we have so many candidates, its an employer's market and we can pay them what we please" I ought to have said "Excuse me, but you don't. You do not have lots of candidates with my level of experience". I wish I had said that. I really do. It would have been the truth. I just am not used to that kind of stupidity.

When they started in on me with this "well we have so many candidates, its an employer's market and we can pay them what we please" I ought to have said "Excuse me, but you don't. You do not have lots of candidates with my level of experience". I wish I had said that. I really do. It would have been the truth. I just am not used to that kind of stupidity.

Oh, yes, that would have been good.

Phanta

Going to take me a while to settle down. Ugh! More testing. I am not doing it. This recruiter called and asked me how fast I type, when I told her, she didn't believe it (they assume you are telling them a lie) so now they want me to take a test. I did so much testing last year you guys wouldn't believe it, and none of it got me anywhere. Hell no. I am not doing it. I have other recruiters who will work for me and not ask me to do it.

Just ranting. I think I would go crazy if it were not for this site.