Goodbye Jesus

I've Figured Out The Source Of Some Of My Frustration...

Lethallunacy

Throughout my entire 19 year life, I've been completely surrounded by Christian people, Christian ideas, Christian things. I attended Christian school for most of my life...I still attend church periodically, since my parents force me to attend at least twice a month as a condition for living in their house. Granted, I've been a pretty open Atheist since I was about 15, but I feel like my entire life I've had to exist in a sort of cloud of disingenuity. Nearly everyone that's been a significant figure in my life has been a Christian, and I feel like I've had to exist in a false identity for all these years to avoid upsetting their sensibilities. Now that I'm in college, I find that it's hard for me to connect with other people.

I think part of this has to do with the fact that I never had any kind of meaningful connection with an adult who was a non believer. It may sound ridiculous, but when every adult in your life (people who are supposed to be sources of wisdom and inspiration, etc) are convinced that they hear Jesus in their heads, and their counseling reflects this, you learn to tune them right the fuck out. I realized after some reflection that I've never had one of those older people I can go to for help when I need it. Is this feeling common? From what I read on here, I'm unique insofar as I left Christianity at a very young age. Hopefully I'll make some new friends on here :)

Thank you to anyone who reads this whole thing. Sorry for the ramble-ish nature of my writings, it's late and I'm tipsy.

We have a drunk thread for when you're drinking! :D

Personally I find that your parents conditional help with housing is all I need to see what Christianity is. Hypocrisy, smoke and mirrors.

I've always found more wisdom from atheists vs Christians or any other religion for that matter.

When you have to actually explain the world it makes you think.

When all you have to do is pass it on to God's work it results in the dumbing down of intelligence.

You also aren't unique. I never could accept Christianity even though I was raised into it.

Even as a child I was looking for ways to outsmart God based on his omnipotent ways that were described to me.

Needless to say the God concept quickly faded into the realm of fantasy for adults and was treated as such.

Pretty sad when a young kid looks at adults and figures they are deluding themselves by believing in fantasy and can't think in a straight line.

So yeah, you're not alone. We're all in this want to be Harry Potter world except they call their hero Jesus.

I'm hopeful that you can find a "flesh and blood" person to communicate with eventually. Don't get me wrong - this site has really helped my sanity big time over the last few months. But when I discovered a friend of mine who enjoys one of the same hobbies as I do is an atheist, it really gave me quite a boost.