Goodbye Jesus

God At Public School

xandermac

I haven't seen a craw in a long time!!!

get a mirror between your legs and look down at the mirror. ;)

I've got to get another copy of the book. My son marked through it and put 666 on it. LOL

• Like 1

I would love to be vocal about this but I don't want to put a target on my 10th grade kids back. This is Alabama.

I can imagine that being a non-Christian in Alabama is akin to being a Jew in WW2 era Germany. Am I right?

If a Christian becomes president next year then more hell will break loose.

One more reason not to live in Alabama. I've been there and I left there and haven't had any desire to go back there again.

I don't mean to beat this to death but I was looking for an online copy of the handbook and could only find last years. It had this in it...

Unity doesn’t begin in examining others but in examining self. Unity

begins not in demanding that others change, but in admitting that we

aren't so perfect ourselves.” (Max Lucado, Grace for the Moment) Get

along with each other, and forgive each other. If someone does wrong to

you, forgive that person because the Lord forgave you. We can work

together.

I just went to FFRF on facebook and ask them about the god thing. I also went to American Atheist Inc on facebook. I don't use my real name on facebook but it wouldn't be hard to find out who I am. Oh well.

This is also in the book and it makes me laugh... References to Marilyn Manson, other violent themes or demeaning language on

T-shirts, etc...Tried to get my son to let me make him a tee shirt that says THE BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE (Whisper it) LOL

You can always wait to raise a stink about it after your kid graduates. Then no educational backlash. Or anonymous tippers could work.

But yes, technically a very blatant disregard for separation of church and state. Yowza.

My public school was a good one: but still had the pledge of allegiance with God in it, and the school supervisor did say God Bless at my graduation (Don't remember any praying, though). But hey, just gotta suck it up or face backlash for it. I didn't say a peep about my Atheism during the last year of school to any of my religious friends because I didn't want to either lose friends or gain enemies, because word could get around quick in a small school.

Although there was often a very blatant unfair thing with the sports: the Apostalic Lutheran families were getting some really big advantages by either having older siblings who were on the teams, having private pre-season practices, and they did not advertise tryouts at the school except to the 'right' people in sports like volleyball and basketball, which end up being dominated by kids all from the same circles of Bangers. Although technically not really unlawful... Sort of a rather unfair especially in the tryouts section. You'd get flyers and announcements for things like Drama Club, SADD, ROTC, etc. Not sports. Nope.

My son keeps his mouth shut about it too. They also still have the pledge with "under god."

You can always wait to raise a stink about it after your kid graduates. Then no educational backlash. Or anonymous tippers could work.

For me, this is not necessarily about my child but about the education for all the children. I'm guessing from this school's stance on being adamant about making sure that Gawd is in their school, they probably won't teach anything that goes against their religious views, so this would be detrimental to the well being of the students. The students are more susceptible to sexual diseases and "woo".

I just got a comment on the freedom from religion facebook page that said to let it ride. That I would be a shitty parent by opening my kid up to bullying and harassment.

My son keeps his mouth shut about it too. They also still have the pledge with "under god."

That's still the pledge, so every school in the country that recites the pledge still has "under God".

I appreciate the advice but I've already had problems with christians in the past at school. My son knows that it's bullshit. I was just curious if anyone else has ever seen this in public school.To be honest I'm afraid. Not just about school but this is rural Alabama. I recently had to squash rumors about me being the atheist cook at the little place I work. I depend on those fat ass baptist eating chicken on Sunday.When Sam is out of high school I just want to move away. Does that make me chicken shit? Maybe.

It's not chicken to want to escape fundie-land, it's healthy.

• Like 1

For me, this is not necessarily about my child but about the education for all the children. I'm guessing from this school's stance on being adamant about making sure that Gawd is in their school, they probably won't teach anything that goes against their religious views, so this would be detrimental to the well being of the students. The students are more susceptible to sexual diseases and "woo".

Yeah, there's always the sex education thing. Jeez, I learned sex education starting in 5th grade (they introduced it in steps at our school, which is the way to go).

First they separated up the girls and boys for puberty videos about what to expect (unsurprisingly it was very useful as I got my first period later in the year, and otherwise didn't know about periods much) and then about pregnancy and STDs and talked about using condoms later on in 6th grade, I think. They never did the condom on the banana though, or much else beyond that. Although plenty kids don't know crap about pregnancy or STDs or periods, and it's appalling and obvious on Yahoo Answers, of all places. (like having sex up in a tree and you won't get pregnant? Wut. Or the simple "can't get pregnant your first time")

I'm sort of proud of the fact my class graduated with no teen pregnancies (there's always one or two per grade at our school, still, I remember a few girls...) even though I know plenty of kids who were having sex for sure, and actively. Abstinence only teaching doesn't do crap when kids don't know how to use birth control methods and they want sex anyways, or worse have wrong impressions about what can get you pregnant.

Did anyone else hear about the kid who spoke out about a prayer in his public school's graduation, though? He got disowned by his parents and threats from friends and students. I don't think he even attended his own graduation. Not only that, but they still proceeded with the very Christian prayer at the graduation. Sad thing is, backlash can be pretty severe. And in some cases, gotta wonder whether it's worth it.