Goodbye Jesus

Life Reboot

OpheliaGinger

If you were given a chance to reboot your life, would you?

I may not be in the best place in the world right now but there is no telling how much worse I could have it if I rebooted my life. I am by no means wise, but I am wiser then what I could possibly be if I had chosen different routes; and there is a likelihood that I would wind up making the exact same mistakes as before because I am going back to when I hadn't the knowledge I have today--in essence, be in the exact same spot. I choose to go forth and continue to learn.

I would - but only if I could retain what I know now. But I suppose that's not possible either. You know, one thing I've thought about quite a bit was how close I was to realizing the whole thing was a bunch of crap when I was a teenager. If I had only followed the logic to its conclusion back then, instead of waiting until I was 39...oh, well. Everything and I mean, everything, would have been different about my life than it is now, because I obviously wouldn't be married to who I'm married to because we met at Bible College, etc. (My marriage isn't anything to complain about.) But all the people that I know from different churches that I obviously wouldn't know...I don't know...it's just weird to think about.

If you were given a chance to reboot your life, would you?

Like Eugene, I'd do it only if I could retain my full knowledge and experience and apply it to make different decisions than I did. There's no point in repeating what didn't work: making decisions that fix the course of your life at a time when experience and judgment are low and hormones are high, and when all your mentors and authority figures and most of the society you're exposed to are all in thrall to foolish notions and illusions.

Even then, I'd think twice, because I would basically only be rebooting my physical body and various interpersonal obligations, which wouldn't solve the problem that I'm damn tired of living by now. Also, I don't have much confidence that if I were plugged back into the energy and vitality of my youthful body, I wouldn't end up making mistakes that were different, but just as bad. There is an endless universe of Bad Ideas to chase after. We probably shouldn't succumb to the conceit that we've actually caught on to all of them; we've probably only wised up to the ones we happened to be burned by.

Now if I could go back to 1973 or 1975 or so, late high school daze for me, knowing what I know now, I might for instance buy up all the Intel, MIcrosoft and Apple stock in sight and become fabulously wealthy by the time I was 35 or so (again), and then I'd probably get to experience a whole new set of decisions I could mess up.

Nah, I've already seen and done too much. No rebooting for me.

I have thought about what life would be like if I could go back in time "spiritually" to my younger self and play the game with the play book already memorized (cheating)...but then that would mean that a. I would have to live through high school again and b. live ten extra years; I would have that same feeling that I get when playing a game and then all of a sudden the game crashes, forcing me to restart when I've already gone so far.

Oh my god, no. I don't ever want to have to relive childhood ruled over by Mother again. Holy shit, NO!

I wish I hadn't lived most of my life being so naive about people's agendas. Can't change it now though.

I'd like a reboot. Many things I would have done very differently (knowing what I know now, that is).

• Super Moderator

I'd also take a reboot as long as I could know everything I know now. If I had to start from scratch without what I know now, forget it.

I'd also take a reboot as long as I could know everything I know now. If I had to start from scratch without what I know now, forget it.

I suspect I'd just repeat my mistakes if I restarted without the knowledge. :(

• Super Moderator

I suspect I'd just repeat my mistakes if I restarted without the knowledge. :(

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I would too. Unfortunately. 49.gif