Goodbye Jesus

Am I The Only Nonhomophobic Highschooler?

lostman42

It seems like everysingle person in my school is a homophobe. I can't even count how many anitgay comments I hear every day at school, it bugs the shit out of me. The ignorants fucks I go to school with would probably just assume im gay(im not) if I said anything about it.

Do people grow out of this ignorant shit as they get older? I feel like im years ahead of everyone.

• Like 2

Goodbye Jesus

It seems like everysingle person in my school is a homophobe. I can't even count how many anitgay comments I hear every day at school, it bugs the shit out of me. The ignorants fucks I go to school with would probably just assume im gay(im not) if I said anything about it.

Do people grow out of this ignorant shit as they get older? I feel like im years ahead of everyone.

Lots of people grow out of it; lots don't.

I'd suggest that you learn to cope with ignorant assholes- 'cause the world is full of them. One thing that helps is this... repeat the mantra after me:

"it is not my responsibility to right all the wrongs in the world, punish the evil-doers, or correct all the mistakes".

IOW, let it go.

• Like 4

I still tend to use the word "gay" to mean "shitty" or "bad". I don't actually dislike gay people, or the act itself, or anything like that. It's just a word that I've been using for a long time that I haven't been able to quit using.

Gay male here; I went through high school in Southern California (Orange County) from 1974-1978. Maybe it was because “I could pass” and I hung out with the geeks who ate lunch in the biology lab, but I very rarely heard even racial slur let alone anything about gay people. I consider myself fortunate that I was able to come out at my own pace and after high school.

I think most high school students are terrified about what others think of them. Acting out with homophobic remarks is just something they say to ensure their peer group accepts them. Most people grow out of it because they aren’t gay and obsessing about the sex lives of others eventually draws more suspicion than it does acceptance.

Armed fags are happy fags.

I'm selling firearms to any and all homos out there. I have a wide selection. You can kill 'em with little bullets or big bullets. All weapons are available in pink.

Why should you care what people think about you if you stand up against homophobia? If you are secure in your own sexuality, how's someone calling you a fag really going to affect that?

It has been my experience that those who stand up against homophobia actually garner the most respect.

alot of people are homophobic becuase the church has made them belive homosexuals are a threat to their existance. but this obviously dosnt speak for every one it would be arogant to think it did, some do it just to get the feeling out of forcing themselves above others.

Why should you care what people think about you if you stand up against homophobia? If you are secure in your own sexuality, how's someone calling you a fag really going to affect that?

It has been my experience that those who stand up against homophobia actually garner the most respect.

Yup. Half of these people might not even be homophobic, but are just sheep who mimic the language and beliefs of others to fit in. Some of them might even be gay, but don't dare come out until more people stand up to the bigotry. It starts with people like you who are angry about it, lostman.

• Like 1

I'd say there is still a good amount of that among grown ups. They just try to be a little more polite about it.

The two causes that I suspect here have been mentioned already... peer pressure (If you don't say that you hate "the fags" you're not in the club) and the sexual identity thing. Sexual orientation is something you just begin to understand during puberty, it can be unsettling already without the knowledge that homosexuals do exist further rocking the foundations of your just-developing view on sexuality. I've never been there myself but I can imagine rather well that, if you have trouble coping with your own kind of sexuality, getting confronted with other kinds on top of that can make you go mad. :shrug:

And of course morontheist bullcrap sold at every corner doesn't help the situation either. :vent:

When I deal with my brother (in high school, calls things "gay" a lot), I like to call him out on it.

Example:

Him: Wow that traffic light turned red, it's so gay.

Me: Hrm, I didn't know traffic lights had a sexuality...

Him: 0_o

When I deal with my brother (in high school, calls things "gay" a lot), I like to call him out on it.

Example:

Him: Wow that traffic light turned red, it's so gay.

Me: Hrm, I didn't know traffic lights had a sexuality...

Him: 0_o

Show him the Wanda Sykes

where she confronts teenage boys calling an object gay.

In case the link doesn't show up: www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWS0GVOQPs0

The two causes that I suspect here have been mentioned already... peer pressure (If you don't say that you hate "the fags" you're not in the club) and the sexual identity thing. Sexual orientation is something you just begin to understand during puberty, it can be unsettling already without the knowledge that homosexuals do exist further rocking the foundations of your just-developing view on sexuality. I've never been there myself but I can imagine rather well that, if you have trouble coping with your own kind of sexuality, getting confronted with other kinds on top of that can make you go mad. :shrug:

And of course morontheist bullcrap sold at every corner doesn't help the situation either. :vent:

It's a vicious cycle, too - you're unsure of who/what you are at that age and due to the already-established heteronormative culture, you get the very, very strong impression that there is no room to fuck up on answering "who ya wanna do?" So you go with the majority because it seems safe, even if you're denying who you really are, and then often you wind up contributing to and reinforcing that heteronormative culture in order to stay off the radar.

I'm heterosexual myself so I admit I don't really have firsthand experience of being on the receiving end of that, but I know I did my fair share of conformist gay-bashing at that age. It's almost funny, in an absurd and surrealistic kind of way, to look back on that and see how little I understood what I was even saying.

I'm really glad we have the "It Gets Better" campaign and shows like Glee (haven't watched it but I found out...through TVTropes (standard warning: TIME SINK ALERT)...that there are a lot of positively-portrayed homosexual relationships on that show) gaining momentum to help dilute and nullify the heteronormative culture and make it easier for young people to say "I'm gay." Even if they don't do it through hilarious interpretive dance like Ellen DeGeneres did.