Coming Out

Recently, about two weeks ago, I decided to come out to my parents that I am an atheist. I have been for quite some time, but lacked the courage to tell them. My wife was a confirmed atheist before I was, and I told my parents that I had married an atheist. 2 years went by, and I never told them about my own situation. She demanded that I tell them, since I outed her,

Anyway, I was scared to death about telling them that the idea of god no longer concerned me. I broke it to them in an email (as a restaurant manager, I work weird hours), as I was unable to call them for a few days. After getting no response, I became worried. I thought for sure that they had excommunicated me. Turns out that they were completely indifferent and very accepting of my revelation. I guess being married to a scientist lends some credibility to my decision. I quit organized religion in 1999, and became an atheist 4 years ago, and it feels great. And with my parents not giving me shit about it, I am truly happy!

Welcome to ex-christian! I'm really happy for you! My parents are anything but accepting of my non-religious beliefs. We still communicate, but they don't even look at me the way they used to anymore! Anyway, I think you'll find this a really friendly, helpful, and supportive community. Again welcome!

• Super Moderator

Welcome! Seems like you're one of the lucky ones.

I'm lucky too - some people were/are upset with the "atheism thing" but I really couldn't care any less.

Enjoy the company of Heathens!

Welcome Omc! Good to have you here with us! What a nice positive testimony! Good for you! :grin: