Goodbye Jesus

Why Does Contemporary Christian Music Suck?

sethosayher

• Super Moderator
I still miss it. ;)

You're still allowed to listen to it :shrug:

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

Finally, stopping with the Beatles just plain forgets The Who, The Kinks, The Eagles, Dire Straights, Supertramp, Fleetwood Mac, et al, who put out truly quality, creative music since.

That was a figure of speech to indicate I'm old and stuck in the past :grin:

Generally speaking, I think with the extreme creativity of the Beatles in bloom, other artists were inspired to do their best. Of course there have been bright spots since the demise of the Fab Four.

Yeah, I agree with you. 'Spose I just needed to ramble on about meaningless meanderings.

I love every kind of music, especially 'blues.' I am old, and I tend to still be a 'disco queen'!

I am also one of those people who loved christian music and I still miss it. ;)

I'm told there's a blues bar here with a guitar player that can play Frank Zappa note for note. Can't wait for the weekend to go check him out.

As for disco, I like Blondie, Commodores and a few others. As for the rest, it was probably all better than the bubblegum junk the giant labels are spinning out today, but maybe I'm just getting old.

I love every kind of music, especially 'blues.' I am old, and I tend to still be a 'disco queen'!

I'm told there's a blues bar here with a guitar player that can play Frank Zappa note for note. Can't wait for the weekend to go check him out.

As for disco, I like Blondie, Commodores and a few others. As for the rest, it was probably all better than the bubblegum junk the giant labels are spinning out today, but maybe I'm just getting old.

Major labels don't put out good music anymore, it's much more profitable to put out crap. Much like our food. Most of it's not even worth stealing.

What really sucks to me is how rock isn't even rock anymore. It used to be about attitude. It was about making horrible noise and pissing off your parents. Now it's over-produced pussy music, 'Symphony and Metallica'.

I think that the main reasons that contemporary christian music is pretty banal is because it needs to be:

a, easy to play

b, easy and quick tp pick up and sing

c, the more repetitive it is the more comatose aka 'spirit filled' one becomes/feels and therefore the 'better' the worship session.

d, the more basic and wishy washy the theological content the less people have to think and the less likely they will start to question or think for themselves.

e, lets be honest - church hardly encourages creative thinking or creativity in general does it?

What really sucks to me is how rock isn't even rock anymore. It used to be about attitude. It was about making horrible noise and pissing off your parents. Now it's over-produced pussy music, 'Symphony and Metallica'.

There's really not that many parents to piss off anymore. Most people raising a teenager now grew up in the 70s or the 80s and already did that themselves. Marilyn Manson squeezed the last bit out of the tube with straight up satanism and took it to the point where it couldn't be taken seriously. Rap is more the shock genre now, sorry to say.

Well, I find contemporary Christian music to be somewhat less interesting than elevator music reconstructions of classic '60s and '70s tunes. At least I can have a good giggle listening to some session guy trying to hash out In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida on a chirpy little keyboard.

I do see two major obstacles for Christian musicians trying to write decent songs, though:

1. There's only so much you can do with the standard chord progressions like I-IV-V-I (and occasionally I-IV-V-VI for a couple of bars of melancholy and drama);
  2. What actually rhymes with 'Jesus'? :grin:

What actually rhymes with 'Jesus'? :grin:

Seize (sees) us for one.

There's really not that many parents to piss off anymore. Most people raising a teenager now grew up in the 70s or the 80s and already did that themselves. Marilyn Manson squeezed the last bit out of the tube with straight up satanism and took it to the point where it couldn't be taken seriously. Rap is more the shock genre now, sorry to say.

Not just pissing off parents but rock represented freedom and honest expression, even if it was dark. Now it's background music for the latest car commercial. Christian rock is fucking joke, it's the very opposite of freedom and honest.

Christianity used to inspire the greatest music. Consider Bach's Mass in B minor, Beethoven's Missa Solemnis or Mozart's Requiem. Now-a-days, Christianity only inspires mediocrity. Say something about modern Christianity.

On a different note, Evanescence's first album "Fallen" has a strong Christian influence without being overtly Christian. The funny thing is those same Christian allusions also work as Vampire allusions.

• Like 1

I dunno I think Eric Cartman put out some pretty good worship songs GONZ9729CustomImage1539775.gif

What actually rhymes with 'Jesus'? :grin:

Seize (sees) us for one.

Cheese us :fart:

Gets on his knees for us :69:

Please us :blowjob:

Tease us :jesus:

Disease us :dead:

Needs us to believe, this cosmic succubus :magic:

• Like 1

I agree with you, Margee. Sometimes I try to listen to some of the less overt stuff. I liked the simplicity and happiness of it. I love the old hymns I grew up hearing but, damn, it hurts to listen to them! On the other hand, I am 'allowed' to listen to the heavy stuff that really gets me going, now that I'm an EX-C.

My neighbor is letting a blues band practice in her backyard every week until November when they are playing at a blues festival. Free music, practically in my backyard every week. I love it!