Goodbye Jesus

Very Hateable Fundy Family

Reprobate

I heard about this family the other day. 18 kids and expecting with no health insurance. I don't know that trimming trees, in TN, can be lucrative enough to cover the expenses.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2029627/Gil--Kelly-Bates-Couple-18-children-reveal-theyre-praying-more.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/evangelical-bates-family-20-children/story?id=12648595

Ah, a quiverfull woman. She'll need to placed on anti-depresents once she start menopause because then she will loose her identity as a fertile woman.

Looks like she may be competeing against Michelle Duggar for top breeder.

But, even with the unimaginable logistics of raising a family that could field two sports teams, the 44-year-old mother from Lake City, Tennessee, is praying for two more baby boys.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2029627/Gil--Kelly-Bates-Couple-18-children-reveal-theyre-praying-more.html#ixzz1WPqfJkwf

Oh good god. That's where I grew up. How do I not know these assholes?

Why hate? I don't get it.

• Super Moderator

Because they chose to have an unreasonable number of children and expect everyone else to bear the financial responsibility of their selfish decision. Hence the bumper sticker, "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

• Like 4

Yeah, I don't hate them either. I feel compassion and a bit of anger that people like that can mooch off the system. The Duggars, I have a lot of respect for. They are doing a great job with their kids, even if they are fundamentalists. I suspect the happy family facade will crack someday when the kids start thinking for themselves. Beyond that. they provide well for their kids in many, many ways and I think they are doing a great job with them. Weird though, that this other family would seek medical care to even the boys and girls. Contradictory logic.

Because they chose to have an unreasonable number of children and expect everyone else to bear the financial responsibility of their selfish decision. Hence the bumper sticker, "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

You hate people who have children they can't take care of. Got it. Thx.

Yeah, I don't hate them either. I feel compassion and a bit of anger that people like that can mooch off the system. The Duggars, I have a lot of respect for. They are doing a great job with their kids, even if they are fundamentalists. I suspect the happy family facade will crack someday when the kids start thinking for themselves. Beyond that. they provide well for their kids in many, many ways and I think they are doing a great job with them. Weird though, that this other family would seek medical care to even the boys and girls. Contradictory logic.

I didn't get that logic either. If she were leaving things to God, she wouldn't be taking drugs to fortify her uterus or try to get more boys. Weird. I also have a friend who had kids she couldn't afford to raise in a mess of a situation. Wanted to have more. It's painful to watch. I do what I can to support. Sometimes food...more often I just take the kids for a few hours. What a mess.

Phanta

I heard about this family the other day. 18 kids and expecting with no health insurance. I don't know that trimming trees, in TN, can be lucrative enough to cover the expenses.

http://www.dailymail...aying-more.html

http://abcnews.go.co...ory?id=12648595

Just gives 'hard core' fundies a chance to 'screw' without guilt..... and 'screw' the system at the same time. :shrug:

I didn't get that logic either. If she were leaving things to God, she wouldn't be taking drugs to fortify her uterus or try to get more boys. Weird. I also have a friend who had kids she couldn't afford to raise in a mess of a situation. Wanted to have more. It's painful to watch. I do what I can to support. Sometimes food...more often I just take the kids for a few hours. What a mess.

Phanta

That's where tough love gets hard. It's easier to make someone who can fend for themselves, but when kids are involved it's a whole other matter.....but the fact that she wants MORE makes me feel aggravated.

Phanta

That's where tough love gets hard. It's easier to make someone who can fend for themselves, but when kids are involved it's a whole other matter.....but the fact that she wants MORE makes me feel aggravated.

It is so frustrating, even with my dear friend. I love her and those kids, so I focus on them. She's also willing to work, so I've been helping her find work, apply for jobs, etc. It's a bad time right now. Ugh.

When my stepdad died, he and mom were trying to have more kids. Lots of them. They had decent money, but not the emotional capacity and support network (he worked away from 2x more than he was home). When Ma first told Sister and I that there were meant to be more of us, it sent chills through my heart. There was enough of a mess to manage with just the one little one. I don't know how many more of Mama's babies I could have handled in addition to dealing with her issues. Makes me crazy to think about. Glad it didn't happen (though I'm sorry my stepdad died; he was a great person).

The Duggars are sort of fascinating in their apparent capacity to afford and manage their massive brood.

Phanta

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

You hate people who deliberately have a ridiculous excess of children they can't take care of knowing others will be forced to pick up the tab. Got it. Thx.

• Like 6

You hate people who deliberately have a ridiculous excess of children they can't take care of knowing others will be forced to pick up the tab. Got it. Thx.

Thanks for the correction.

Anyone seen Idiocarcy....... this is how it happened.

• Like 2

Anyone seen Idiocarcy....... this is how it happened.

We can only hope that at least one of the children (if not all of them) sees what life was like with so many children and thus stop the cycle.

Many of my relatives have huge families, IMO more than five or six is too many. I have one relative with 11 kids, and god help the world they are all fundies too, from the youngest to the oldest. However, she and her husband work and provide for their own children without 'secular charity'. They are dependent upon no one for help. I think maybe two or three of the kids are finally getting their fundy heads out of their butts and starting to catch on to what Christianity really is, a pack of shit. But for the most part they remain bobble-heads whenever someone is preaching. It takes life experience to get a person to develop to the point where they can walk away from the religion. i just hope they don't all breed another eleven kids each and teach them to be fundies too.

Well I should bring up the most recorded births to one woman is 69. So Duggar and the other dumbass have a long was to go to get close to that record.

But yeah idiot breeders like the ones in the story piss me off too.

And I think this thread is calling for a Duggar joke:

49cd96e1-1360-4f0d-ae89-9d9ac16f76c7.jpg

I have a friend who grew up in a Quiverfull family. It was apparently hideous. She hasn't told me everything, but what she has chosen to share was awful.

Thanks for the correction.

Even if a Quiverfull family doesn't take welfare or other government assistance they are still straining the environment, and from all the repression of "sinful" feelings I can imagine in the future one of these kids going apeshit and doing something horrendous.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2029627/Gil--Kelly-Bates-Couple-18-children-reveal-theyre-praying-more.html

http://abcnews.go.com/US/evangelical-bates-family-20-children/story?id=12648595

The world has seven billion people with the last billion in less than twelve years, and that figure may double in the next sixty or seventy years and the old virgin in a frock in the vati-can keeps on about families must have more babies.

I have a friend who grew up in a Quiverfull family. It was apparently hideous. She hasn't told me everything, but what she has chosen to share was awful.

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?

A bit, perhaps. She was the oldest of, I think, about 7 or 8 children. Because Quiverfull mothers are basically walking uteruses (uteri?), they don't tend to have the energy to actually care for the children they have, so the oldest daughters tend to become young mothers to the younger children. And take care of the house. And are raised to believe all the uber-conservative bullshit (pardon my Anglo-Saxon) that goes along with something like that.

If you're really interested in what it's like being a Quiverfull or ex-Quiverfull person, check out the No Longer Quivering website. Their stories are heartbreaking.

Can you elaborate?

A bit, perhaps. She was the oldest of, I think, about 7 or 8 children. Because Quiverfull mothers are basically walking uteruses (uteri?), they don't tend to have the energy to actually care for the children they have, so the oldest daughters tend to become young mothers to the younger children. And take care of the house. And are raised to believe all the uber-conservative bullshit (pardon my Anglo-Saxon) that goes along with something like that.

If you're really interested in what it's like being a Quiverfull or ex-Quiverfull person, check out the No Longer Quivering website. Their stories are heartbreaking.

Thanks! That looks very interesting.

I don't hate the homeschooling or the number of kids, but I do hate that they expect taxpayers to pick up the tab whenever one of them gets sick or there's an emergency. How convenient for them! (eyeroll)

I've read about the realities of polygamous families and it's pretty bad when you have so many kids and not enough adults. Of course, this family isn't polygamous, but the situation is similar.

I also think it's looney tunes to want an even number of girls and boys so badly. They're probably hoping the kids can just marry each other instead of mixing with outsiders.

I am glad that the older kids are going to college though. Maybe if they get educated, they can live successful lives separately from their parents.

• Like 1

I took a quick look at the no longer quivering website. This family is active in Tea Party Politics. The same people that decry the evils of "socialized medicine", yet they have no health insurance. What a crock of shit. They are the poster child for single-payer healthcare. Just show up at the ER and receive treatment. Just a normal birth is a huge bill, much less a premie and time in the NICU. What happens for a sore throat, broken leg, Luekemia, major injuries..etc. These people are major scumbags.

• Like 2