Goodbye Jesus

Facebook Wars

AC Skeptic

Okay, I've been an atheist for about two years, but because both sets of parents (mine and my wife's who is also an atheist) are conservative Christians (actually her parents are Fundy) we have decided to stay in the closet. Any new friends I make I am free to share my views but all of my old church and certainly our parents we have so far decided to stay closeted (it would RUIN her parents and perhaps even her sister who she is really close to and also my older brother who I never want to disappoint). My wife, despite having the more strict parents, is always more free to diverge to people her non belief, and is also a Facebook . . . . not quite junkie but on it all the time. And I am always telling her to be careful as Facebook has outed more closeted atheists then any other source (you never know who is reading).

But then I couldn't let this comment sit. I seriously engage in Facebook like once every three months, but I had to say something here. My parents probably know I fully accept evolution because I was forced to tell my older brother. I checked with her (she has more Facebook knowledge then me) whether her parents would see this and she was pretty sure they wouldn't so I decided to take the plunge (back up a bit, the guy I am responding to is the son of someone at MY child church so I thought it very likely my parents might here of it but I didn't care . . . just not her super Fundy parents) . . .

Here is it.

Him: "So, my professor in BIO182, says in science we don't have "proof" for anything. In the next breath he says "but Darwinism is a slam dunk!" What a joke!"

Me: "Your professor is correct on both accounts. Science can’t “prove” anything because it is entirely experimental based (unlike say mathematics) and all it can do is pile on more and more evidence to the point that the informed community find it as close to fact as possible. The first “law” of thermodynamics has never been “PROVED”, all it would take would be one counterexample. Its just that none have ever been found, and it has all the evidence in its favor, and is excepted as true by almost all people who understand the assertion baring any further evidence. Newton’s mechanics were “true” for 400 years until Einstein showed they were an approximation of relativity mechanics (useful for most daily applications and yet still an approximation.). Perhaps one day Einstein relativity (extremely well tested) will be shown to be an approximation of a even more defined mechanics. The reality of evolution, as defined as the common descent of species over many generation, is about as well supported in science as about any other field. That to say, the evidence that it happened is so overwhelming that basically all of the science community accepts it as true. That is why it is a “slam dunk”. ALL the evidence suggests it is true, so naturally all people who way decisions based on evidence accept it is true."

That was my final edit. The first couple of passes were perhaps a bit more insulting. I have no idea of the fall out, but frankly, eventually, we have to let REALITY be true. Why am I hiding all of this??? Why don't I just stand up. . . . because for our relationships at this point it just isn't worth it.

I'm really sorry to hear your predicament. I hope this doesn't get too out of hand for you but congratulations on the response. That is by far one of best retorts to some creationist's ridicule of evolution I've ever seen.

:58: Well done.

I think it was a great response...

I wouldn't worry about it too much. You did right by pointing out that what this guy's prof said was indeed true.

Kudos!

• Super Moderator
(it would RUIN her parents and perhaps even her sister who she is really close to and also my older brother who I never want to disappoint).

If you don't mind, I think it's important to state that thought properly.

As worded, it implies that because you hold a different view you have the power to "ruin" or "disappoint" someone else by merely being truthful and making your views public. Those who would be "ruined" by a difference of opinion choose to ruin themselves. It's an important distinction.

• Like 4

Your response was scientifically accurate. It didn't discuss doctrine or theology at all. Sure, it's obvious you're not the died in the wool 6000 year old earth creationist deluded fundamentalist. But there is a range of theists you could be mistaken for. In other words, you don't necessarily have to be an atheist to accept evolution.

Even if it should cause a fuss, that may be the best thing. You told the truth. You were very measured in your approach. Good job!

By the way, what was their response?

The guy didn't respond for days which made me think I had completely overwhelmed him. Then he did respond and frankly I don't know what he is saying. I don't know if he was completely confused by my comment, or is trying to be passive aggressive or sarcastic with his response, or if he is just nonsensical altogether. He was the next exchange and it has been radio silence afterwords (spelling and grammar mistakes in original).

Him: "I know he thinks he right, but like I said what a joke."

Me: "He is right. So I am not getting the joke."

Yikes.

The guy didn't respond for days which made me think I had completely overwhelmed him. Then he did respond and frankly I don't know what he is saying. I don't know if he was completely confused by my comment, or is trying to be passive aggressive or sarcastic with his response, or if he is just nonsensical altogether. He was the next exchange and it has been radio silence afterwords (spelling and grammar mistakes in original).

Him: "I know he thinks he right, but like I said what a joke."

Me: "He is right. So I am not getting the joke."

Wow. Not to be rude, but I think you're having a battle of wits with someone who is weaponless.